HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:53 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:04 am 
friendly kitty

Well, someone had to make this type of thread.... :cry:

I did/discovered this yesterday while riding:

And some research on the great-wide internets says that it can be fixed, via TIG welding and heat-treatment. My uncle knows a guy (they're in the HVAC industry) who can weld, so I'm assuming that he could repair an aluminum tube the proper way as well. They know more than I do, at any rate.

My concerns (assuming such a repair would be done correctly in the first place) :

This is a full-thickness break, going through the entire tube. All the internets I've seen are dealing with cracks at dents or welds. Does that make a difference? I'm sure it makes the repair more complex, but impossible or nearly so?

And this break is on the drive-side chainstay, right at the dropout. One of the most-stressed parts of a road frame, and failure is most likely when the most stress is being applied -- ie, while sprinting. I don't want to lose my rear wheel while I'm sprinting.

So, what say the great Hucking Kitties? Assuming (big word, I know) that it's repaired correctly, is it just the same as new? Nothing here is for sure, yet. I may be getting a new frame, but I just wanted to hear some opinions. I'm looking at you, Magura and Marpili and whoever else has experience with building stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:25 am 
yappin' kitty

Was this a family bike that you might could get a a warranty on?

There is a guy over at EB that repaired a down tube with JB weld, silicon and some clamps. There might be hope for this one, but I would probably look for a replacement frame.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:41 am 
friendly kitty

The frame/bike is at least ten years old. I got it from my uncle, whobought it from the company rep, who had it as his personal bike for a little while. So we don't expect to get anything out of a warranty.

Sent from a prototype communications device on loan from Marvin the Martian.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:30 am 
bad kitty!

Do you know which alloy it is?

Magura :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:27 am 
friendly kitty

All I know is it's an S-works E5 alloy. I tried some googlefu to see what the specific blend of metals is, but then I realized that Specialized probably wouldn't have that info on the internet. My uncle knows a couple people though, so he's going to call them up and see if he can get any info.

What does the alloy blend have to do with repairing it? Would it be like a filler material for repairing the seam? I know nothing about welding, but I at least want to have an idea of what's going on.

Sent from a prototype communications device on loan from Marvin the Martian.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:32 am 
bad kitty!

The alloy defines if it's worth the trouble.
If it's a 7xxx series alloy, you can avoid the post heat treatment for some of the alloys.
If it's a 6xxx you need heat treatment, which means stripping the paint, and so forth, thus not worth it.
6xxx welding without heat treatment, is almost 100% sure to break again.

Also it's a matter of the filler material, so it's very important to know what sort of alloy you're dealing with.

A way to get around this, is to repair it with composites. Trouble is that it's in a real stupid place for that type of repairs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:56 am 
friendly kitty

Magura wrote:
A way to get around this, is to repair it with composites. Trouble is that it's in a real stupid place for that type of repairs.

Would that just mean wrapping the tube in a crap-ton of carbon, kinda like a cast? :shock: :D

But anyways, I guess my uncle talked to his buddy and they decided it couldn't be done or it wasn't worth the effort of repairing the frame. I talked to my uncle today and he's been looking for used frames online, either a Roubaix or Tarmac, most likely. I'm kinda partial to the Roubaix.... He also mentioned maybe calling the rep that he bought the bike from to see if the rep has any spare frames to get rid of from his personal collection.

Looks like I'm gonna be getting a new (used) frame at some point. :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:45 am 
bad kitty!

Yes, kinda like a cast, just a very strong one ;-)

So, the problem turned into a new frame, not too bad.