HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Hub swap?
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:37 am 
friendly kitty

I bought a bike off CL a while back and it came with a mismatched wheelset that I haven't used because of the Shimano Nexus 3 speed coaster brake rear hub. Tires are almost brand new Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700c, and might make a nice road wheelset for my Monocog. I also have another frame they would fit (the frame they came on).

I was wondering if there was a cheap hub that could replace the Nexus. I don't want to spend very much $$$, and I'd like to reuse the spokes if possible. The front hub is a Shimano XT.

I'd like to learn wheel building, and would like to build a set of Hope hubs/35mm Blunts in the future, so maybe swapping hubs would be a good way get my feet wet?

*Edit: The Nexus hub/wheel has no dish, and since both frames I'm considering using these wheels on have horizontal dropouts, I'd like to use a SS hub.

Post subject: Re: Hub swap?
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:37 am 
big hucker

Swapping hubs might be tricky. You'd have to know all of the measurements for the original hub and ensure the new one matches. I've done that once; but, it was by swapping with a hub by the same manufacturer.

Easier thing to do is just buy a new set of hubs and some inexpensive spokes.

Looks like a 36 spoke count on each wheel? If so, we'll need to ensure the hub is the same.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:38 am 
big hucker

For spokes, DansComp seems to be the cheapest for generic spokes: https://www.danscomp.com/shop-PARTS/gro ... pokes.html

Retro-Gression has the best price on Wheelsmith DB14 spokes and nipples: http://www.retro-gression.com/product/w ... b14-spokes / http://www.retro-gression.com/product/w ... ss-nipples

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 12:39 pm 
friendly kitty

I was hoping to find a cassette hub for less than $50, I searched last night and it doesn't look like there is one. The DMR Revolver was about the cheapest, but then I'd have to buy a freewheel, and then rotors for an easy swap on the 'Cog. I bought the bike for the frame (Bianchi S.A.S.S.) and had no intention on using the wheels. I'm not even sure I'd like riding on skinnies, so maybe I should just let these go and save up for the Hope/Blunt wheelset that I really want.

I guess I could see if the tires fit on the 'Cog, then I'd know for sure before spending any money.

Thanks for the spoke suggestions, I'll keep those in mind!

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:09 pm 
timid kitty

Yeah, I'd definitely make sure it rides OK with smaller tires first. I tend to like frames with lower BB's, so such a thing probably wouldn't work out super well for me.

Have you measured the diameter of the flanges and the distance between them on the N3? Not similar to the Hope you're planning on buying soon anyway?

If you were out 70-80 bucks for a DMR hub and spokes that would be a good value for a good rear wheel, but if you had to pay for a new rotor and freewheel too, that would start to seem a bit expensive--although in the long run paying a little more to string up a nice wheel seems to pay off if you're going to put the miles in on it--in my experience, at least.
FWIW, those DMR's are pretty nice hubs for the money. I love their cheap pedals as well...

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:23 pm 
yappin' kitty

Will second your idea on building a set of 32H Blunts with Hope's and Wheelsmith db14 spokes.
Imagine that you'll recoup some $$ by selling those complete wheels to a commuter.
When prepped & tensioned correctly, even my clyde azz has good long-term luck with alu nipples.
(road salt may be their weakness)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:59 pm 
friendly kitty

Well...I've been thinking pretty hard on rolling skinny tires, and I just don't think they're for me. I may still try them before I make a final decision and put them in the FS&T section to see if anyone is interested.

There's a Yelli Screamy for sale locally and it's already got Hope hubs, so all I'd need to get would be a couple 650b Blunt hoops, B+ tires, and some spokes and nipples.

Sometimes I can't stand my Indecisiveness, but in the end I usually end up with something I really like :thinking:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:52 am 
big hucker

Have you considered the Novatec hubs? I've built two wheelsets with them now and I'm really impressed with the quality and affordable price.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:24 am 
friendly kitty

marpilli wrote:
Have you considered the Novatec hubs? I've built two wheelsets with them now and I'm really impressed with the quality and affordable price.

I've done some reading up on those, and a few other budget hub options. I do have a friend who kinda owes me a favor and is pretty tight with one of my LBS's. I've already talked to him about the wheelset I want to build, so Hopes might end up being a lot cheaper for me.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:34 am 
friendly kitty

Picked up the Yelli today! So it might be a while before I start any wheel projects. The Hope/Stan's Arch wheels it came with seem just right for the bike. I need to ride it how it is for a bit before even think about changing anything (and I can't spend any more money on bike stuff for a while, lol).

Attachment:
PDRM0463.JPG
PDRM0463.JPG [ 889.27 KiB | Viewed 4023 times ]

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:33 am 
pussy

How about these?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KOOZER-72HD-HA0 ... 27e6bec8cb

Nice bike!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 2:09 am 
friendly kitty

Thanks! All I can think about right now is riding the Yelli...and it's dumping rain :cry:

I've looked at the Koozers too, but not for the wheelset in my OP. Almost looks like they have symmetrical flanges, and at a glance might be similar in size to the Nexus. But since I might not mess with those wheels, they may just end up for sale or trade. Still undecided if I'll even try the skinny tires on my Monocog, I've already robbed a few parts off it to put on the Yelli ;)