HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:33 am 
friendly kitty

I am a tubeless rookie. It is 930pm. I have been in training for my new teaching jobs for over a week. I have been studying for another state certification exam tomorrow night. I have no brain power left to devote to this.

My new, sexy, rear wheel leaks. I have it set up with non tubeless tires (Forte Tsali). The rim is taped (by the wheel builder) with Stan's tape. I am using homebrew sealant. The tire seated GREAT and easy. Now she goes flat over time. I tanked the wheel today to find a slow leak around most of the bead (like TEENY TINY campaign bubbles... probably smaller than you are imaging).

What should I do to try to fix this? It doesn't affect rides, but the tire will be completely flat after a couple of days.

Thanks for the help.... as always. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:07 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Try a tire made to be tubeless. That's always worked for me.

I just had an inexpensive CST tire on while waiting for my preferred tire and it was obvious the cheap not tubeless tire bead was not made as well.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:39 am 
yappin' kitty

Did you shake it and smack in on the ground a few times? That seems to work for me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:37 pm 
friendly kitty

Sslikesnake wrote:
Did you shake it and smack in on the ground a few times? That seems to work for me.

Yup. I shook it like a step child when I first set it up. I noticed the sidewalls are weeping a bit, so I put a couple more ounces in before I posted here, aired it back up and shook it again. Still has air, but I put 60psi in the tire to make sure the bead was fully set.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:55 am 
yappin' kitty

southsideguy wrote:
Sslikesnake wrote:

Yup. I shook it like a step child when I first set it up. I noticed the sidewalls are weeping a bit, so I put a couple more ounces in before I posted here, aired it back up and shook it again. Still has air, but I put 60psi in the tire to make sure the bead was fully set.

I've found that putting TOO much air (40+ psi) in a mtb tire makes it so the sealant doesn't get to all the crevices as well.
Try something like 35ish psi, and shake it then.

Also, if all else fails, throw some glitter in it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:16 am 
friendly kitty

Sslikesnake wrote:
southsideguy wrote:
Sslikesnake wrote:

I've found that putting TOO much air (40+ psi) in a mtb tire makes it so the sealant doesn't get to all the crevices as well.
Try something like 35ish psi, and shake it then.

Also, if all else fails, throw some glitter in it.

I rode twice with it around 30psi. I may spend some time with it this weekend. I am wondering if the tape is not sitting correctly. It isn't a HUGE problem as it takes a few days to leak out, so I can get all the ride I need/want in. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:23 pm 
friendly kitty

Been tubless several years now, essential here in AZ, and have always used Mavic rims that are t'less compatible. However, if set up right, the tape system should work fine. I have tried all kinds of different tires, some that were not designed specifically for t'less, and most that were. ALL tires will leak over time, some faster than others, but sealant leaking thru the sidewalls tells me those tires are more porous than most, and the root of your issue. The issue will only become a problem if it affects your rides tho. Pumping up the tires before each ride ain't no big thing in my book, I do it every time as a matter of course, I like to check. No matter the tire, it will have always lost a bit of air, and those + or - couple of pounds make a difference in handling & grip. I suggest you check psi before and after your ride, and if it has changed appreciably, try less porous tires.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:37 pm 
friendly kitty

I use the same rim up front (Blunt 35), but that wheel was built by a different place and taped by them as well. The front tire is a Forte as well, but the rear is a dual durometer of rubber where the front is a single, so I imagine the construction is different. I had not thought about checking before and after to see how much is lost. Maybe once it dries out again and I can ride. This is my favorite tire set up so far for this area so far, but there are other options for the rear that would work well and are more tubeless friendly if it comes to that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:09 pm 
friendly kitty

Update: She has sealed up. It just took a lot longer than I expected and longer than it took for the front to seal. The homebrew must be a bit thinner or something than the Orange seal I used in the front. Good times.