HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:40 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Homebrew Sealant
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:20 am 
yappin' kitty

Thanks. The chunk is regular Quaker grits which is coarser than Bob's Red Mill medium cornmeal.
The tapioca is a fine powder used for thickening fruit-based dessert sauces. (Corn starch should work fine, this is what I had in the cupboard.)

...sent by dixie cup/string

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:18 pm 
timid kitty

IMHO the weeping is directly related to the carcass construction and condition, and has little to do with the mix, unless you add ammonia or some other aggressive chemical. The old Ardent EXO I've beat to hell and back is nearly bald and has to have over a hundred punctures, and I just reupped the mix--now it's leaking the AF like a sieve, but still holds air better than most of my tubed tires--which considering the cost of the mix really doesn't matter too much.

I might have to try your rubber cement trick and see if I can get another 500-1000 road/easy trail miles out of it without having to clean up little puddles of RVAF. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:44 pm 
yappin' kitty

Hmmm, I got the exact same thing going on now with an old Ikon EXO.
Are you using a WSS version with Slime + Latex + PG?
When you re-upped the mix did you add more latex?

Agree some weeping has to do with tire construction. A new Ra-Ra 2.25 weeped fiercely for over a week, which is why I coated a new batch of tires with rubber cement, Saguaro, Ra-Ra, Gato. BTW - afterwards none of those tires ever oozed a drop..

From re-reading 3630 posts in search of a clue, and some thought, it's now my belief that when further diluted the glycol used in Slime WILL penetrate the pores of any tire's carcass.
Using Slime alone, this does not occur.
It's a shame that eurotrash666 evaporated from the thread, as he had knowledge of such chemical reactions.

IMHO this purity of ingredients thing is being pushed to far. So I'm purposely using caulking, RVAF (PG) and tap water to see what happens. Hey, all we gotta do is plug a hole in a fricking bike tire.
Yeah, I realize that it may evaporate sooner, or booger up bigger, still I want to discover this myself. Am not afraid of failure, and either way will share the true outcome. :geek: :dance:

The reason for my current batch again using the caulk, and not the Slime is to determine if it's
a) the lack of true latex, or
b) the chemicals in Slime
which when diluted enables the Glycol to seep through the carcass of a tire proven to work well tubeless.

Any other kitty's care to chime in with their homebrew results?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:51 pm 
timid kitty

Yep, I've wasted too much of my life reading that thread too.
I'm running about 80-20 RVAF to mold builder--pure latex, no ammonia, no slime, no water, just those two ingredients and the corn meal.
Reupping with the same thing I started with.

I had a WTB Weirwolf that dumped so much sealant through the sidewalls that's why I started mixing my own.
Seems like EXO tires have held up without weeping until the punctures and abuse start.
Only tires I've sealed that haven't wept after many miles (500+) were UST--hence my theory.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:11 pm 
pussy

Homebrew sealant got me home last night but could not save this tire. Geax Goma ain't good.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:18 pm 
yappin' kitty

Spent today changing 3 sets of wheels from my original mix to the new one without Slime.

Attachment:
uploadfromtaptalk1433625357695.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1433625357695.jpg [ 95.91 KiB | Viewed 11422 times ]

Notice the bright green chunks? That's the grits having absorbed the Slime's Glycol.

Sti - the toughest tire to seat by far was a Geax Gato.

...sent by dixie cup/string

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:25 pm 
pussy

New experiment going on - I have added ground coffee to the classic homebrew recipe and installed a new front tire (HRII EXO 3c) using this ugly looking concoction. We shall see how she does.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:17 pm 
yappin' kitty

Updates on homebrew V-2 and input sought.

Wondering... can a + b = c ? (separation anxiety + an old rubber = ghost sharts)

(a) Separation Anxiety:

(Homebrew V-2 Using latex caulking, ammonia, RV anti-freeze, H20, and cornmeal seems to separate more quickly as it ages. Batch made on 6/2/15, have since added 2 oz. to each tire.

(b) Old Rubber:

@ +/- 2500 miles tire started to weep the glycol of V-1 in (marp's) homebrew.
Now when riding it spews V-2 (w/o Slime) from the old tears in it's worn casing/tread. See wet spots. In 10 rides this tire has not fully sealed, with impact it'll spew & quickly seal. It's not yet gone flat, and to keep it fresh have now added 2 oz. of sealant 3 times.

Ghost Sharts:

Last weekend a friend noticed my shorts sporting a nasty case of Albino Sharts. This led to my finding the leaky old rubber spewing sealant. The seatpost, and seat tube were also coated in this white crap.

What are your thoughts?
a) Keep re-filling & running the old spewing Ikon until it dies or seals, and get used to the albino sharted shorts.
b) Keep running old Ikon with a new batch of V-3 sealant in hope that it seals.
c) Quit fucking around, install a new rear tire with new sealant.
d) Stop playing chemist and go back to giving Stan's $24/qt.
e) ...

All Kitty input's welcome.

So far V-2 has sealed any punctures*, yet seems to evaporate like Stan's.(* on all other tires.)
Soon to mix V-3 using the same proportions, and latex mold builder instead of the latex caulk.
((1:1:1 +/+ (ammonia/cornmeal))

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:45 am 
yappin' kitty

Crickets..
Oh well, V-3 is now mixed and all tires will be 're-juiced with the new brew.
Rode last night and the old Ikon continues to spew.
(edit)
Changed sealant in Ikon. 3 oz. remained, 2 new thorns. The new V-3 took 15 minutes to plug the holes. Ride for 14 mi without any leaks, and it smells like success.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:06 pm 
yappin' kitty

Believe that I'm making progress in the quest for a better sealant.
V-3 does not separate as quickly as V-2, and when it does; the top layer appears to be latex,
the mid layer is pink (RVAF), and resting on the bottom is the cornmeal.
Since installing, and 3 rides, I've not lost any psi or sealant from even the old Ikon.

Time is ripe for the next experiment

to cram this biggie in the El Mar's rear.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:57 pm 
pussy

My apologies I got lost a little, what exactly is the formula of V3 again? :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:30 am 
timid kitty

I'd try that rubber cement trick.
I was going to, but realized I had no tread left anyway, seemed like a lost cause on my Ardent.

Having too many tubed wheels, sorry I haven't been hanging out here. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:46 am 
yappin' kitty

Version 3 is 1:1:1/ +++
(16 oz)
latex mold builder
Distilled water
Polypropylene Glycol (RVAF)
+++
chunkage, latex stabilizer, thickener.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:15 pm 
yappin' kitty

Yesterday, changed out two sets of tires with the older V-2 sealant. 3 of 4 still had sealant. Uggggh & yuck phoo... what a horrible smell.!!!

(pic) This ^ RaRa dried out and a thin latex skin formed on it's casing. A weight weenie may be pissed, I feel it adds protection. ( cannot upload on tapatalk)

If nothing else, I've learned to add lots of sealant and refresh it often. Most times issues are from a lack of it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:16 pm 
big hucker

Flyin_W wrote:
If nothing else, I've learned to add lots of sealant and refresh it often. Most times issues are from a lack of it.

I let one of my tires go dry (and flat). Didn't take long to get it sealed back up, though. I'm about due to whip up another batch. I'll have to browse through all of the new entries in the thread and look for ideas. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:23 pm 
timid kitty

Speaking of tubed wheels isn't quite off topic, (for me at least,) just reupped the sealant in the trail bike--finally pulled one of this years goat head harvest and got a sputtering instead of a seal. Two ounces a year in each of the the On One CM/SB combo ain't bad.

Although to be fair, the earlier monsoon season kept me off the trails a little more than normal this spring... :mad:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:33 am 
big hucker

I use the homebrew in my wife's and kids' bike tubes. None of them have had an in-ride flat yet (knock on wood)...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:33 pm 
timid kitty

I just figured I should throw another update here since this thread should be more popular. ;)

Put a couple shots (4 oz) in each of my fat tubes this last summer, they are still sloshing, but from the sound they seem to dry out a little faster than smaller tubes--which is to be expected. What I didn't expect was that the front would still have a good dose of sealant after over twenty thorns came out of it.

I'm almost wondering if the extra weight of the tube may be worth the 2-3x sealant longevity... :thinking:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:26 pm 
friendly kitty

Zowie wrote:
I'm almost wondering if the extra weight of the tube may be worth the 2-3x sealant longevity... :thinking:

I bought a set of Specialized Airlock tubes (tubes with sealant) within 6 months of buying my bike. That means the goo is now 2-2.5 years old and still goo. Thee tube will still spit some out if I add air and the valve has been at the bottom of the tire. I have also never had a flat with these. I don't run incredibly low pressures as I am a big rider (super clyde?). I run 38-42 in the rear and a couple less in the front. That said, I would definitely opt for tubes over adding sealant frequently. :)

I will be going tubeless on the new wheel for the front and will probably do the same in the rear this year though. Just to try something new. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 11:42 pm 
friendly kitty

Any updates to V-3 Flyin_W?
Sti mentioned using coffee grounds for chunkage. Other thoughts on chunk and thickeners? Kinetic sand, Metamucil, whatever.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 12:20 am 
pussy

I keep going back to the original simple recipe - RVA, slime, latex. It works just fine.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:45 pm 
friendly kitty

I have been using the original, too. Time to make a new batch so I was checking out anything new.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 10:21 pm 
yappin' kitty

Kronk wrote:
Any updates to V-3 Flyin_W?
Sti mentioned using coffee grounds for chunkage. Other thoughts on chunk and thickeners? Kinetic sand, Metamucil, whatever.

Just made up a fresh batch using the same formula with Bob's Red Mill grits.

I too am interested in other ideas for chunkage.

tap tap tap...

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:13 pm 
yappin' kitty

Anyone else intrigued by Stan's new RACE sealant?
Why now, what's different?

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:55 pm 
friendly kitty

I used Orange sealant on my new front wheel. It looks a WHOLE lot like the home brew sealant complete with what looks like glitter. It works great on my non-tubeless tire. I will mix up some home brew once I get my new rear wheel built to use back there... probably going to search for orange and red glitter so my color scheme isn't thrown off with a hole. LoL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:47 am 
big hucker

southsideguy wrote:
I used Orange sealant on my new front wheel. It looks a WHOLE lot like the home brew sealant complete with what looks like glitter. It works great on my non-tubeless tire. I will mix up some home brew once I get my new rear wheel built to use back there... probably going to search for orange and red glitter so my color scheme isn't thrown off with a hole. LoL

Did you buy it locally? If so, where? I wouldn't mind giving it a try if it's reasonably priced (cheaper than Stan's ;) ).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:06 pm 
friendly kitty

marpilli wrote:
southsideguy wrote:

Did you buy it locally? If so, where? I wouldn't mind giving it a try if it's reasonably priced (cheaper than Stan's ;) ).

I consider Amazon local since I use Prime. When I went looking, I didn't see it at my normal shops though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:34 am 
pussy

Homebrew sealant saved my bacon today when I suffered a complicated puncture. It really works fine.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:01 am 
friendly kitty

Time again for a new batch.
I have some in a slime bottle I put aside to take along on trips I had from maybe two years back and used it. Tire went flat overnight, so I decided to add more. Didn't notice as I was rushed at the time, but it had the consistency of spicy mustard. Mixed in some water and it sealed up.

Any formula updates or options better than the latex mold builder?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:31 am 
yappin' kitty

Still using the latex mold builder from Michael's. With online coupon it's +/- $11
Better chunkage is what I seek. Grits work well, but after time they smell.

Remember someone talking about coffee grounds, and wonder if anyone has used them? How about grated rubber? Any other chunky ideas out there?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next