HK -The place for sore tacos

New members welcomed!
It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:42 am 
friendly kitty

Road bike question. Chris King Classic rear hub. I noticed 2 rides ago the bike was making a "noise." Something not normal. On tonight's ride, the noise is more pronounced. The bike (rear hub I think) is making a sort of clicking (maybe a cross between a clunk and click) while pedaling. It doesn't do it at the same part of the stroke and it doesn't seem to follow the idea that it happens faster at the same rate as my speed goes up (it clicks faster, but not proportionately to my increase in speed).

I also noticed tonight that my King hub is much quieter suddenly. No longer a nest of angry bees.... sounds like a handful of angry bees.

Anybody familiar with Kings? I tried searching, but anything in relation to King hubs and noise comes back to people discussing how loud they are, not problems. :(

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:36 am 
big hucker

I don't know the root-cause; but, I do know the best (most fun) way to figure it out...

TAKE THOSE THINGS APART AND POST UP SOME PICS!

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:23 pm 
friendly kitty

Yeah yeah yeah.... it'll happen, just not until October 10. I have too much going on in October (and thus the reason why I am not participating in a certain bikepacking trip). Trip to my wife's professional convention Sat-Tues. Then off to Kansas City for work Wed-Fri.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:44 pm 
friendly kitty

Took them apart. Holy cow. I am totally sold on Kings now. Complete tear down, cleaning, lube and reassembly in less than 20 minutes.

That said.... it didn't fix the problem, but the hub needed to be serviced anyway.

I did get the problem sorted, I think, this afternoon. I took it to the shop to have a spoke replaced a few weeks ago.... yeah.... the spokes on the non-drive side were WAAAAAY too loose. 1/4 turn the spokes (all of them) and the problem is gone. I am going to have to learn to build my own wheels... I don't want to pay for re-repairing my wheels.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:27 am 
bad kitty!

Glad to hear it wasn't your hub dieing on you.
CK hubs are sure fine, only other hubs off the shelf that offers the same or better would be Hadley.
They can also be serviced in 15 minutes, and run standard size bearing, so spares are readily available.

Magura :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:00 am 
friendly kitty

Yeah after seeing how simple these hubs are and what the drive gear is actually like, I would happily spend the $$$ on them. I got these wheels super cheap, $400 for the Mango (orange) King Classics with Mavic Open Pro rims. I can't go to 11 spd on the rear hub, but I have no need for it anyway. :)

King just announced a teal color for 2016... probably going to get my wife a set of hubs because teal is her color of choice for her road bike. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:25 am 
big hucker

Glad to hear it wasn't the hubs! Also glad to hear you found out the source of the problem. If the spokes weren't tightened, it might have damaged the hub or rim. :cry:

I highly recommend building a set of wheels. The feeling of success is right up there with complete fork overhauls. :D I'll even loan you all of my janky make-shift wheel building stuff if you like. The Park tension meter is included in the deal. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:12 pm 
bad kitty!

Indeed it is like Marp says.
+ you don't have to wait for your wheels to be built, and you decide the quality of the build.

Magura :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:41 am 
lurkin' kitty

ok I just wanted to share with all of you that I just got a set of AGX and Ground Control coilovers for my civic for 500 on eBay. Oh, and yes they are brand spankin new Is that a good deal or what?