HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:38 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:04 pm 
lil' hucker

Okay so here a little help case anyone comes across this.

It's been said that only Bontrager TLR rims can be used with the Bontrager TLR strips with TLR tires. The Race Light wheelset version in 29 I have weighs around 1640grams which is pretty light and have held up fine for my phat ass thus far. The TLR strip *have to order* weighs 35 grams per tire. I never weighed it so that's a guess for that. Also for the valve that you have to order separate is 8grams. Again not weighed, going by advertisement. The valve core is removable as well.

It's kind of hard to mount the strip the correct way *after gutting the tire/cleaning/prep* as there is no arrow to guide you as to how to mount the strip so it's kind of trial an error. That's how it was for me. It's also important to snug the valve into the rim hole with that part of the strip first then work your way around getting the strip in place. Also make sure the valve is correct and very, very snug. The strip looks flimsy and like crap but don't let that fool you. Once it's on right it's tight, super tight.

Today I wanted to switch out my winter/training set of tires. They were front Purgatory S-works 29x2.3 *really a 2.25* and the Ground control/control version *really a 2.2*. With stan's the front weighed around 800+ grams and the rear at 750+. While I never weighed them adding up the regular weight advertised and the three, yes, three scoops of Stan's; just to make sure they sealed those are around the weights. During the time running those, zero flats, not a single problem, no burps and mounted easy - which I'll get to later.... and the crazy part is they held air for more than a week without sealant to see how sealed the "TLR" set up is. It's air tight, like UST tire/rim tight leak proof. when I pulled them off no boogers, still lots of stan's yada, yada.

Prior to that I ran Racing Ralphs TL which never held air and always gave me problems all last year. So with the weather warming up, trails nice and dry besides the occasional rain I figured instead of running the RaRa's lets try the tires that came with the bike.

The Bontrager 29-1 width x 2.20 non-TLR 570grams. :shock: http://bontrager.com/model/09484

Since these are non-TLR I was a little worried how this would work out.... I only used them for maybe 50 miles last year with tubes so they are practically brand new. Going with the soap/water treatment then mounting them was no problem. Airing them up is where this whole thing gets tricky.

FOR MOUNTING THE TIRES; DO NOT MOUNT THE BEAD ON EITHER SIDE; SIMPLY JUST SLIDE THE TIRE INTO THE MIDDLE GROVE OF THE RIM. Once you do that hit it with a air pump. I haven't tried a hand pump or flood pump.CO2. Since I don't have an air pump I just drive to a gas station with free air about .1 of a mile away, cool beans... Anyways... once you decide to hit the tire with air, make sure your not holding onto the tire. The bead that was in the center will forcefully slam out into the outer bead sealing the tire within seconds. Keep pumping the tire to the max rating or until the pinging stops to make sure the bead is fully seated. It will ping like a gun shot once this happens.

The 29-1 held air but since it isn't a tubeless ready tire it had slow leaks. After seeing how it works for 10-15 minutes, barely dropping 2-3 PSI, let the air out, pop both beads off, peal part of the tire from the rim and add your sealant. I figured three was overkill last time so I went with 1 and 1/2 scoops this time. Go back to the previous step for mounting and begin the process again. If done correctly everything will work just fine. And it has thus far. Because of this tire being more porous more sealant will leak through the sidewall and around the bead area. It's just sealing up the holes.

Final step not recommend for non-tlr but I chose to do this anyways due to what was happening. Skip if you have a tubeless ready or UST tire... because of the soap/water in the tire I pumped the tires to 60-70 PSI. The tire 29-1 is rated for 50PSI. :lol: Whatever, so go to the max rating if you want. It didn't blow off so what this high pressure does it force the soap/water out of any tiny holes/along with sealant, thus getting the soap out and leaving just the sealant where the tiny holes are.

Now just shake them for a couple minutes, rotate and hit them on the ground both vertical/sidewalls. After that find a bucket or where they will remain level and set them sideways on the object for 30 minutes per side. This will totally seal up the bead with stan's and the side walls. Mount back on your bike and go for a ride around the block. Keep checking them every so often to see if there is a problem which there should not be and the day after lower the pressure and go ride while enjoying your TLR set up.

Here's a video but some of the write up above goes over what the video leaves out. IE the mounting of the strips and mounting of how the tire should be when mounting.

If I left something out or you have questions please ask.

Thanks - Hutch :)

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 12:28 am 
lil' hucker

Upate:

It's now been two days with only a minor problem with the new tires. That problem being 1'1/2 scoops wasn't enough for the front no biggie. The rear tire has held air just fine. I went on a short ride today. Speeds are up around 3mph more in every spot on the trail.

I still need to play with PSI as 30F 32R was too much even though that would be low for the Spec set up. The sidewalls must be stronger or have a harder casing. Cornering wasn't as good due to the psi but small lugs didn't help either. Overall I'm happy and will report back later with further findings. On the flip side climbing is so much easier due to less weight and friction from the tires. They also filled out nicely and are just as wide as the Spec 2.3's.