HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:28 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:55 pm 
pussy

I have a seen a couple of electronic shifters on the market recently, I am experimenting with the Archer D1x. I learned about it when e13 discontinued my 10sp XD cassette, which forces me to consider replacing a bunch of components in my drive train together with a new cassette (I would need a new 11sp shifter + a new 11sp RD for a new 11sp XD cassette, or a new boost axle conversion kit for a different 10sp Shimano cassette - and the available 10sp cassettes all suck).

D1x works with all RDs or cassettes - for all current cog pitches, 10 11 or 12sp, and all pull ratios, and lets me calibrate chain positioning for each cog individually, which opens a world of new possibilities. I am currently still running the D1x with a 10sp cassette & a 10sp Saint RD, but when I get a new 11sp cluster, I'll just re-configure the shifter and keep everything else.

The D1x seems quite solid. The execution is still a little clunky (it is rather large, not heavy), the batteries are kind of PITA, but it works quite well although I have yet to do a proper trail ride. Weight wise, the old Saint shifter+cable are only a few grams lighter than the D1x shifter+remote. Changing gears will take some time to adjust, but I hope it will help eliminate pain in my old aching thumb joints.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:35 pm 
friendly kitty

If this works well I can see a few more brands trying it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:13 pm 
pussy

I've been happy with the shifter so far. It worked without hesitation in 14F this morning which is about the coldest weather I ride my FS anyway. The shifter buttons work better than expected, a quick tap and the gear change just happens. The per-cog calibration is brilliant and probably the killer feature of this system. I am still going through an adjustment period though - in "panic" moments, I am searching for the paddles that aren't there any more - but it won't take long and I'll be a full convert.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:14 pm 
pussy

A good review here: https://www.bikemag.com/gear/tested-arc ... nents-d1x/
I agree with almost everything mentioned, only the speed is not an issue for me. I am actually finding I spend less time with shifting - I just tap one of the buttons for a split second and the shifter does the rest. My conversion is now 99.9% complete.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:36 pm 
friendly kitty

Do you see any problems with how it mounts on the chain stay?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:35 am 
pussy

Kronk wrote:

I mounted mine on the down tube. Mostly to test if it can cope with ~2ft long cable. It works great there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:16 am 
lil' hucker

Can you jump a bunch of gears at once like grip shift?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:34 am 
bad kitty!

Sti wrote:
Kronk wrote:

I mounted mine on the down tube. Mostly to test if it can cope with ~2ft long cable. It works great there.

Ok, that solves the biggest issue I have with it. Mounting it as they suggest, would give it a life expectancy of 10 minutes here.

Magura :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:27 am 
pussy

Magura wrote:
Ok, that solves the biggest issue I have with it. Mounting it as they suggest, would give it a life expectancy of 10 minutes here.

Because exposure to elements? It is actually very well sealed.
Here's a picture of my bike with the shifter on the down tube (before I trimmed the zip ties :))

MT: Yes and no. It isn't as fast as a grip shift, but it remembers every tap and will do as many as you ask, i.e. if you tap 4x in a fast split second sequence, it may take it a second or two but it will move by 4 cogs. When you tap again inside that 1s, while still moving, it will register that input also. The buttons can be programmed for multiple ups/downs when pressing and holding them, but I find rapid taps faster.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:08 am 
lil' hucker

If it’s a light touch fast taps should be fine. Certainly lighter taps than trigger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:06 pm 
bad kitty!

Sti wrote:
Magura wrote:

Because exposure to elements? It is actually very well sealed.
Here's a picture of my bike with the shifter on the down tube (before I trimmed the zip ties :))

Partly due to impact, but mostly to keep it dry, and have the open end pointing down.
It's raining 200 days a year here......

Having said that, it sounds like it's fairly slow?
I've been playing with the thought of making an electronic RD, but I'd have used direct drive. Being slower than manual, is not an option in my opinion.