HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 11:08 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:21 am 
lurkin' kitty

So back in August, I thought it would be a "good idea" to buy a Shimano double to go with my new bike (Mojo HD). I went with the smallest gearing: 38/26. I run a 11-36 cassette, because well, I suck at pedaling. I was running a 30T single ring on the Ventana, but it was really too hard on my knees with the ridiculous amount of climbing here in the Bay Area, so I figured the 38/26 double would be fine...

Yeah, dumb idea. So after suffering for a month, and looking for smaller gears for the double (the other gearing is a 40/28), I've since changed it out for a Race Face Turbine with a 32/24 gearing that works on a 2x10.

So could someone please explain to me how Shimano thought the 38/26, which is really high gearing, was a good idea. Especially since SRAM is going to a 26 or higher for the XX1... what am I missing? My knees just thought the 38/26 was ridiculously hard for my knees.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:40 am 
pussy

It is all about choices, if you feel you are fit/comfortable with a taller double, go for it. If not, 3x10 is still a good option with a comfy granny gear, there is nothing wrong with it and it is less finicky to set up than 2x10. Or go with XX1 and 28T front to get the same low gear as 3x10. I was riding 3x9 for a long time, then switched to a 40/28 double but the 28T felt a little too low for me, so I went 32T 1x10, and now I am rocking a winter fixed gear 17x40 on my HT and 22x34 on my Fatwally. My thighs are hurting more than my knees. ;)

I'd say choices are good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:39 am 
fat kitty!

stripes wrote:
So could someone please explain to me how Shimano thought the 38/26, which is really high gearing, was a good idea.

Maybe Shimano didn't have your "ridiculous amount of climbing here in the Bay Area" in mind when they designed the thing?

For my riding pattern 38/26 seems a bit on the low side, but then again, my area is nowhere near as steep as the Bay Area.

That being said, riding single speed has shown me that my body can adapt to a gearing that at first seemed completely impossible. I generally tend to favor a gearing around the 2:1 ratio, currently running 32:17 on my single speed.

But listen to your knees, pick a gearing that doesn't blow out your knees on the climbs and accept that you'll have a slightly lower top speed on the flats.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:34 pm 
lil' hucker

Sounds like a 3x10 is your best bet. Also have bad knees myself. Best thing to get around that is make other muscles in your legs stronger. Doesn't mean lift heavy but adding weight training will help you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:02 am 
big hucker

Gearing is a very personal matter. Two major factors are your fitness level and the local terrain. It's really tough to make anything less than a 3 chainring crank that will fit everyone. There should no shame in adding/changing rings or cassettes until you find what's right for you. After all, if it's not enjoyable are you really gonna go out and ride very often? ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:57 pm 
friendly kitty

2x9 here, 11-32 cassette, 24x38 rings, I overrev a bit on the road but I can climb very damn easily.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:03 am 
yappin' kitty

stripes wrote:
So could someone please explain to me how Shimano thought the 38/26, which is really high gearing, was a good idea. Especially since SRAM is going to a 26 or higher for the XX1... what am I missing? My knees just thought the 38/26 was ridiculously hard for my knees.

So, if I understand correctly, 26x36 was just too tall of a gear for your hills? I can imagine shimano thinking that 26x36 was plenty low.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:17 pm 
big hucker

Maybe she was running an 11-32 cassette? I once has a 22t granny ring and it came in handy on the narrower MTB cassettes.