All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:01 am 
friendly kitty

the backyard pump track project

collected rocks

called in a favor...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:23 am 
friendly kitty

the nashville trail, the area is over 700 hectors with a heritage river, old bridges, etc. the project is to build a trail running from the north to the south following the river. lots of advocacy work for this one as there are many stakeholders and a large conservation authority involved. the concept is to build a flow trail with features...

old bridge

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:56 am 
friendly kitty

helping out another club with trail layout and construction in my neck of the woods...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:29 am 
friendly kitty

Sunday we started flagging trail in the Yellowwood state forest (Indiana), which backs up to Brown County state park. The two may be connected in the future.*
*As I understand things. State parks and state forests are separate entities. State parks have gates and entry fees, and the state forest we will be in does not. Controlling the access into the park will certainly need to be addressed.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:03 pm 
yappin' kitty

Here in San Diego CA, much trail has been lost due to lazy, sloppy oversight by the city and county when it came to them exercising due diligence to conform the the Multiple Species Protection Plan they signed on to with the State. For decades, the city and county officials simply rubber stamped every developers' request to bulldoze another mesa, mountain, canyon, etc. and turn it into a new subdivision.

Now, the State has stepped in and the city and county turned over the remaining open space to them for 'mitigation', which allowed them to close official trails and mostly , social trails , many of which had been used for decades.

We're really feeling the pinch, as the city does not want to pay for labor to create new trails, even if the proposed new trail passes EIR review, and is approved.

This is where my faith in the local mtb community has been restored . the local group, an IMBA affiliate, has stepped up to the plate and volunteered to coordinate work days of entirely volunteer labor. A few weeks ago, I participated in a work day at the Black Mountain preserve, where 120 volunteers, 80 of them mtb'ers the remainder boy scouts and such, built one mile of high quality narrow trail, complete with boulder-armored berms on the corners.

4 more miles of trail are approved there, and the ranger in charge of that preserve is lookin' mighty good to his peers, right now.

I'm guessing the other rangers are gonna get the idea, too. Their preserves have got to keep up with Black Mountain.

So, for the first time in over a decade, I'm back in the trail advocacy game, after quitting in disgust after multiple betrayals of the mtb community's good-faith trust and efforts.
For now, I'm just gonna commit to trail labor.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:04 pm 
yappin' kitty

^ Good on you Ray. The bigger person is always the winner. :clap:
In the DC area our situation is quite the opposite of CA, and we have many nearby options.

Am curious just what other Kitties do to keep their local trails in shape?

Other than doing 2 different club workdays per year, my normal trail maintenance is done while on casual solo rides. Clipping branches, trenching wet spots to drain, and cutting small blown downs. Rock armoring is now needed to fix many washed out spots, and this far above my usual cut & ride routine. (reason for post)

Went to a club workday two weekends ago to assist a hired trail builder who was revamping their flow trail (Yard Sale). Went back to ride that same trail on Sunday, and it was a total fricking wreck. Somebody had ridden it and left 3" ruts, and the first bermed turn has completely eroded. With last night's crazy T-storm, it's now a disaster zone. :evil:
Should I do another workday to fix the problems, or let the paid guy repair his work?

What about you, and ^ what would you do?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:45 pm 
big hucker

Flying_W,

A quick history. Our club has a lease on private timber land that the owner uses us to basically patrol the property. We try and keep out hikers, horses and dope growers. We have miles and miles of single track trails that take advantage of the terrain. There are lots of old growth redwood logs that were left on the ground when it was 1st logged over a hundred years ago. These logs become the post's and slabs we use for retaining walls and bridges.

Part of our dues is 1 workday per year. We have 200 members, so we have a good pool of trail folks available. We do work days based on soil condition. We do new trail building about 6-8 times a year. We incorporate maintenance as needed. Most of us carry a folding saw and small pair of clippers in our packs.

To answer your question, If the trail builder hacked up a trail, I wouldn't have him do trail work again. Have a work day and fix it yourself. IMBA has good trail building info or see if you can have them come out and do a trail building training day for your club.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:41 pm 
pussy

I try to help as much as I can. I usually do 1-2 days of trailwork per year with the NEMBA folks, building or fixing trails in public lands. Once in a while I join state park rangers with "other" trail work such as elimination of rogue trails, re-planting of damaged areas, etc.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:05 pm 
yappin' kitty

norton, Thanks for sharing, and appreciate the input. Rode there recently, and the trail builder has packed up. The erosion damage is too great for hand tools. They'll have to get another machine operator in to remove all the red clay brought in to build up the table tops, and berms.

...sent by dixie cup/string

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:31 pm 
big hucker

Flying_W

Sorry to hear about the damage. I've never built table tops, but they look like a hot ginger.........very high maintenance. We build our berms out of wood.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:46 pm 
yappin' kitty

^ Thanks norton. The builder came back, repaired the storm damage and built a wooden berm over the washed out area. Going to ride there this evening.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:04 pm 
yappin' kitty

His repair...
Attachment:
uploadfromtaptalk1430406244629.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430406244629.jpg [ 140.87 KiB | Viewed 4549 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:30 am 
big hucker

Looks solid.