HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Trail Led XXX
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:33 pm 
pussy

Winter riding season is here and most of my rides will be at night until the days get long enough again. I got tired of my cheap Chinese lights that got me over the last Winter and decided to spend some dough for lights that would let me ride even the most technical singletrack in total darkness. Enter the Trail Led XXX. Originally I was thinking about a pair of more conventional lights for helmet +bars, but this single light mounted on a helmet gives me all I need.

Here are some of the pluses that I appreciate after a few weeks of riding:
  • that thing is bright, but not only that. The beam throw is wide, far and having a very natural tint. It does not make my eyes sore like my old lights did. No more trail shadows, it really feels like riding in a daylight. I hit technical stuff that I would never do with worse lights.
  • the light body is super lightweight (less than 50g), and the simple, low profile helmet mount works great. You do not feel the added weight on your head at all. No neck strain, no fatigue. The accu is reasonably small and light, too.
  • convenient and easy UI. Tap the large button on the top once to cycle between high/low output. Depress for a sec for an emergency mode, or a bit longer to switch it off. You do not have to cycle through a ton of strobe/varying intensity modes to get it where you want. Strobes are available too, just hold the button for two secs when the light is off.
  • long run time. Over 2 1/2 hours on high output (1800 lumens), 5 hours on 900, and 27 hours in emergency mode (200 lumens that will get you out of the woods just fine) according to the manufacturer and my experience with the high mode matches these expectations.
  • short charge times - 0 to 100% in 2 hrs.
  • high quality weather resistant cables and connectors
  • the machining and built quality is superb. Hand built in Texas.

And the negatives:
  • you will never want to ride with other lights again

The trailled site: http://www.trailled.com/lighting/

Post subject: Re: Trail Led XXX
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:40 am 
yappin' kitty

I too have a XXX and love it.
I actually know and ride with Grady (who IS Trailled), and I can tell you that he is all that is good about the mountain biking community and his gear is the best out there--better than anything any other mainstream light manufacturer that I've seen.
If you're on the fence about getting something from trailled, don't be. Their stuff is the best.

Oh, and don't even get my started on the Halo--holy crap, I've test ridden it, and it's freaking INSANE light.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:24 pm 
fat kitty!

Nice light. I used to have a light with a rubber strap like that, but being bald the rubber inside the helmet drove me nuts - solution: spending $3 on a yard of self adhesive velcro, the local yarn barn equivalent would only sell me a yard of the stuff so now I have plenty left over if I get a new helmet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:11 pm 
yappin' kitty

I'm bald, too, and the rubber band has never caused me any issues with the XXX.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:11 am 
pussy

I had a high speed crash in a sketchy, leaves-covered night time descent on Friday. I happened to crack my Giro feature as I crashed in a fairly nasty rock garden. I've just ordered another Feature not only because it was my favorite helmet by far and because it saved my head and neck, but also because it works with the XXX so well.