HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:48 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:49 pm 
friendly kitty

I make my own lights. I am running 2 lights (helmet and bar) both are dual Cree XML2 based being driven with 2500ma. The light on my helmet is a spot plus medium beam and the bar light is double spot. The lights are both mounted using GoPro style mounts which makes them very versatile.

No way do I need the full power of the lights, so they are all run on "medium" setting. I get about 5 hours of run time on my 5200mah Tenergy cell battery and have yet to kill my 6400mah Panasonic cell battery while on a ride (the other pack runs out first and I usually charge both at that time).

All in for my lights, I have maybe $50 on the lights themselves and another $50-60 or so on the batteries. They may not be as sleek as the mfg'd lights, but they are just as effective (and I can change the lens on them for different patterns).

This is the first one I made, it isn't quite buttoned up in this photo, but close enough:

(ignore the Avid brakes, they are gone now)

That is on my head now. The new bar light has a remote switch that I can use with my thumb next to my shifter. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:32 am 
lil' hucker

southsideguy wrote:
I make my own lights. I am running 2 lights (helmet and bar) both are dual Cree XML2 based being driven with 2500ma. The light on my helmet is a spot plus medium beam and the bar light is double spot. The lights are both mounted using GoPro style mounts which makes them very versatile.

No way do I need the full power of the lights, so they are all run on "medium" setting. I get about 5 hours of run time on my 5200mah Tenergy cell battery and have yet to kill my 6400mah Panasonic cell battery while on a ride (the other pack runs out first and I usually charge both at that time).

All in for my lights, I have maybe $50 on the lights themselves and another $50-60 or so on the batteries. They may not be as sleek as the mfg'd lights, but they are just as effective (and I can change the lens on them for different patterns).

This is the first one I made, it isn't quite buttoned up in this photo, but close enough:

(ignore the Avid brakes, they are gone now)

That is on my head now. The new bar light has a remote switch that I can use with my thumb next to my shifter. :)

That is impressive , southsideguy. I mean, just the fact that you put that together yourself, and at such a savings too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:20 pm 
friendly kitty

Ray Dolor wrote:
That is impressive , southsideguy. I mean, just the fact that you put that together yourself, and at such a savings too.

Thanks. It's only a savings if you don't look at the cheap Chinese lights now. I really enjoy tinkering and building my own stuff (that is why I first came to HK).

This is my second build, I like it a lot better as the heatsinks are streamlined and the remote switch makes operating the light easier while the light can be out front ahead of all the cables.

I also do lawn work for a part time job, so in the fall it gets hard to take care of yards after my real job. I fixed that this year too. :) It's fun mowing after the sun goes down.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:26 pm 
lil' hucker

southsideguy wrote:
Ray Dolor wrote:

Thanks. It's only a savings if you don't look at the cheap Chinese lights now. I really enjoy tinkering and building my own stuff (that is why I first came to HK).

This is my second build, I like it a lot better as the heatsinks are streamlined and the remote switch makes operating the light easier while the light can be out front ahead of all the cables.

I also do lawn work for a part time job, so in the fall it gets hard to take care of yards after my real job. I fixed that this year too. :) It's fun mowing after the sun goes down.

That's cool. Even though I am technically in a "profession," all the years I was going through school I ran a lawn maintenance business that I had built up over a decade. Got all the old-school equipment.....steel blade edger, 7 blade reel mower, vacuum sweeper, and the "new stuff" like blowers and string trimers too.

I learned the business from the old Japanese guys who lost their land when they were interred here in CA during WW2, on the pretext that ant JAP could be a 5th Columnist. When released, they started gardening instead of agriculture. They had a very 'precise' way of doing lawns...it appealed to the retired admirals and captains who lived on the island community of Coronado.

They are who I learned gardening from. I still do one day of gardening in Coronado. I could be earning 4 times as much money using that day to do my professional practice, but I persist in it, partly out of memories, partly because I like to remind myself what it;s like every single day of a 'working mans' life
I feel like it's important to remember that,, physically.

Oh...I almost forgot. When I saw the light mounted on your rotary mower it reminded me........when I'm working that day during the 'dark' times of the year, occasionally I start to run out of daylight. For that, I got a Fenix headlamp that fits with its' battery pack perfectly on top of my Cabela's cap. I puts out 500 lumens on high.

Sometimes it helps me finish up on the last yard of the day.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:40 pm 
friendly kitty

I could have stopped mowing a long time ago. I certainly don't mow enough to pay for much of anything, but like you said, there is a certain memory involved with it. I consider lawn work to be very relaxing.

I used a headlamp for a while, but when I got the DIY light building sorted out, I built this one "because I could." :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:34 pm 
lil' hucker

southsideguy wrote:
I could have stopped mowing a long time ago. I certainly don't mow enough to pay for much of anything, but like you said, there is a certain memory involved with it. I consider lawn work to be very relaxing.

I used a headlamp for a while, but when I got the DIY light building sorted out, I built this one "because I could." :)

Yeah, I really can't afford it, but I hang on. I have roots in that community, from more than one direction, but I just can't stand to live there anymore.
Unless, of course, free rent was offered. Even then, I don't like that bridge...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:51 am 
timid kitty

Sslikesnake wrote:
I have no problems going XC race pace at night with it on my helmet, even on the most technical trails.

It's interesting what Sslikesnake stated about having no problems going XC race pace at night. As counter-intuitive as that seems, it's interesting how true it is. I have seen some of my fastest times at night. That only became reality once I was riding with enough lumens that I couldn't out-ride my light.

It's as if all of your focus remains within your sphere of light as you blitz down the trail. No peripheral distraction to take you mind off what matters. Ride hard...have fun!