HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:21 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:42 pm 
Offline
big hucker
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:32 pm
Posts: 3086
Location: Dallas, TX
Late last year (after finishing my miNewt upgrade) I decided to upgrade my CatEye Double Shot to XML LEDs.

CatEye Double Shot disassembly photos...

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

After some measuring, I calculated the XM-L star assembly was about 1mm shorter than the stack height of the previous LED. I had some .75mm sheet aluminum from another project on-hand. I traced the existing aluminum mounting plate onto the stock and trimmed it up with a dremel to fit.

Image

Image

I tried to get fancy by cutting out some extra room at the bottom of the mounting plates to allow for the larger gauge of wiring I was using.

Image

Everything looked good until I put in the star for a test fit.

Image

It became obvious the wiring wouldn't fit appropriately and I'd have to take another route because I didn't want to grind down the star any further than I already had.

Image

What to do? Drill holes!

Image

Image

Image

Image

XM-L's wired in parallel. I also put a dab of heat sink paste between each layer.

Image

Image

Image

Test it out and reassemble using the stock optics...

Image

Image

Image

Image

I used one of the previously built 18650 battery packs and my in-line switch to finish it out.

Image

Image

Beamshots:

Camera details:
Canon XTi
4 second shutter speed
F-Number F/4
ISO 100
Daylight white balance
Manual focus
18mm focal length

Before upgrade - Control:

Image

Before On (only one mode):

Image


After upgrade - Control:

Image

After Medium:

Image

After High:

Image

Not too shabby. But, the stock optics are producing rings....

I ended up ordering two Ledil C11347 REGINA reflectors from DigiKey and using them instead of the stock optics.

I snipped off the three standoffs on the base of each reflector. Then I used incrementing drill bits (by hand) to widen the hole until it just fit over the XML LED base. They fit perfectly in the light head so no further modification was necessary (big plus on my list).

Control:

Image

High (aimed at fence):

Image

Medium (aimed at fence):

Image

High (aimed at driveway):

Image

Medium (aimed at driveway):

Image

Much better results than the stock optic!

_________________
http://about.me/marpilli


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:30 am 
Offline
lurkin' kitty
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:11 pm
Posts: 19
well done


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net