HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Light newb need help
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:05 pm 
yappin' kitty

I have a really nice Surefire tactical light that I will probably never use on a weapon. I keep it in the garage or by the door in case of emergency.

This is what I have:
http://www.surefire.com/scout-light.html

My question is; Will this make a good bike light? The batteries are expensive, is there a good, reliable 3v battery charger system with good bateries? Currently I buy the $3 a piece batteries from Bateries plus here in town. I know the light is bright enough but is it the right kind of light for this aplication? Any good ideas about mounts? Handlebar, frame or helmet?

Post subject: Re: Light newb need help
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:28 pm 
bikini loving kitty!

That is INSANE! They really screw over specialized applications. You definitely can run it on the helmet since it's a spot light, on the bars will probably suck. I was running 2 ssc p7's for a season. Super bright, cheap and highly functional.
http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/mountain_bi ... w_led.html
I bought 2 Lights, 2 sets of batteries, 1 charger and 2 mounts. Sweet setup.
I ended up getting a Magicshine 808e with a wide angle lens for the helmet and a Magicshine MJ-872 on the bars. Also got a much sturdier mount setup for both.

http://www.amazon.com/Angle-MagicShine-Gemini-Lupine-Headlight/dp/B004WLCLQY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340202030&sr=8-1&keywords=magicshine+wide+angle+lens

http://www.el34world.com/Misc/bike/BikesLights1.htm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:37 pm 
yappin' kitty

The light was issued to me in a 2008 Iraq deployment. I didn't pay a dime. I had two but gave one to my brother. Another concern would be run time. It's pretty low from what I've seen on other bike light setups.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:17 pm 
yappin' kitty

joe-it-all wrote:

Get This^
and 2 of these: http://www.amazon.com/Lumen-Bicycle-HeadLight-Flashlight-Headlamp/dp/B006QQX3C4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365178534&sr=8-1&keywords=magicshine

One for the bars, one of the helmet. They provide PLENTY of light and run-time at full power, and I've done the helmet-only light quite a few times, too, when feeling too lazy to put both on. I use their plastic mount with some velcro straps (not provided in the kit) on my helmet. PLENTY of light. The wide-angle lens linked above is great--it helps widen out the OEM beam, which tends to be a spotlight.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:38 pm 
grumpeh kitty!

If the beam's more spotty than floody, then it would indeed be better on the helmet. You could probably get an inexpensive Picatinny short rail and find a way to strap it to your helmet. Like something from here. Or, keep it simple and cheap and use a patch of old mouse pad between the torch and helmet and run some velcro straps through the vents.

As for run time, if you have bar lights as your main light source, the helmet light could be turned on & off and/or run at lower power level until you really need it (e.g. fast downhills and twisty single track). So your run time would be better than what's listed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:45 pm 
yappin' kitty

well I was hoping that maybe the $425 MSRP light would be sufficiant. But the cheap ones posted By sslikesnake seem like a better bet. I wonder if anyone makes a flood adapter for my surefire? I don't plan on doing a lot of night riding. It's going to be a light for when I decide to do some bikepacking this summer/fall. Even then it would only be for if I can't get to a camp by night fall.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:02 pm 
pussy

This one is better: peeled orange reflector, weather sealed connectors, better executed pouch of the battery pack: http://www.amazon.com/Masione-HeadLight ... +1000+bike

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:26 pm 
yappin' kitty

I got distracted by these. Let me go back and try to look at that last one again.

http://www.lightsforalloccasions.com/p- ... x?SKU=HS-G

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:00 pm 
friendly kitty

Separate issue from whether the light is okay or not...

Get surefire brand cr123s from Amazon. $1 each. last forever compared to the batteries plus ones.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:45 pm 
yappin' kitty

Sti wrote:
This one is better: peeled orange reflector, weather sealed connectors, better executed pouch of the battery pack: http://www.amazon.com/Masione-HeadLight ... +1000+bike

Mine looks exactly like this, except for a yellow waterproof gasket instead of orange. Paid about the same as listed here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:15 pm 
big hucker

Sslikesnake wrote:
joe-it-all wrote:

Get This^
and 2 of these: http://www.amazon.com/Lumen-Bicycle-HeadLight-Flashlight-Headlamp/dp/B006QQX3C4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365178534&sr=8-1&keywords=magicshine

One for the bars, one of the helmet. They provide PLENTY of light and run-time at full power, and I've done the helmet-only light quite a few times, too, when feeling too lazy to put both on. I use their plastic mount with some velcro straps (not provided in the kit) on my helmet. PLENTY of light. The wide-angle lens linked above is great--it helps widen out the OEM beam, which tends to be a spotlight.

Holy frack that's cheap! I'll never DIY another light again. :lol:

I'll just keep buying the $30 lights and toss them when they quit working. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:21 pm 
yappin' kitty

marpilli wrote:
Sslikesnake wrote:
joe-it-all wrote:

Get This^

Holy frack that's cheap! I'll never DIY another light again. :lol:

I'll just keep buying the $30 lights and toss them when they quit working. ;)

That was my thought.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:15 pm 
timid kitty

Those cheap cree lights have been known to have battery issues. A couple have exploded (I have heard of 2 cases) but most of the complaints are of the "I used this light twice and now it has a 2min run time. I have not heard of the brand that STI posted, but I have a couple Magicshine 808s and have never had an issue.

I do want to try one of those wide angle diffusers

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:25 pm 
bikini loving kitty!

Just watch those Chinese lipo 's. I only charge when I'm in the room. $hit happens.

Very nice to hear you didn't pay that price, although it's military grade, 425 is shocking to see.

One of the mentioned lights with the wide angle lens is more than adequate for bar use then use the flashlight on your helmet or redundancy and a camp light.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:10 pm 
bad kitty!

The good news are that getting good LiPo cells to replace the original ones, is real cheap.

Magura :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:22 am 
friendly kitty

Magura wrote:
The good news are that getting good LiPo cells to replace the original ones, is real cheap.

Especially if you get the ones from China off of ebay. Like $3 shipped.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:13 am 
bad kitty!

axisofoil wrote:
Magura wrote:

Especially if you get the ones from China off of ebay. Like $3 shipped.

This, or from Hobbyking. Some types are cheaper from them, and they have some of the nice brands.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:44 am 
lil' hucker

Samuel L Bronkowitz wrote:
Those cheap cree lights have been known to have battery issues. A couple have exploded (I have heard of 2 cases) but most of the complaints are of the "I used this light twice and now it has a 2min run time. I have not heard of the brand that STI posted, but I have a couple Magicshine 808s and have never had an issue.

^ Yeah that. Be weary when getting those amazon lights. Not knocking them but 30$ for 1200? I've also read that some run like 800 not 1200 and that 800 output drains the battery very fast on those amazon lights. Just a heads up. FWIW and IMO running a spot on the helmet and flood on the bars works best. That Surefire is definitely nice and have use that model myself but riding single track with 200 is dependent on speed. As your speed increases its better to have more light. That Surefire will work on the helmet just fine for now though. On the bars, maybe.

Forgot to add this. It's a bicycle light comparison page with a bunch of lights showing their beam and output with quality pics to give the user an idea of how the light will perform. Link below.

http://www.modernbike.com/light-comparison.asp

So on other options, if I were looking for a new light or lights I would get the CygoLite Expilion 700. You could get one or two of them. That be a nice set up. More $ but a better reputation from a solid company. On the flip side since I run Niterider *1800 & 600* the new Lumina 650 wireless is also a very nice budget light. Still again more money than a 30$ amazon but worth it IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:09 am 
yappin' kitty

HUTCH wrote:
Samuel L Bronkowitz wrote:

^ Yeah that. Be weary when getting those amazon lights. Not knocking them but 30$ for 1200? I've also read that some run like 800 not 1200 and that 800 output drains the battery very fast on those amazon lights. Just a heads up. FWIW and IMO running a spot on the helmet and flood on the bars works best. That Surefire is definitely nice and have use that model myself but riding single track with 200 is dependent on speed. As your speed increases its better to have more light. That Surefire will work on the helmet just fine for now though. On the bars, maybe.

Forgot to add this. It's a bicycle light comparison page with a bunch of lights showing their beam and output with quality pics to give the user an idea of how the light will perform. Link below.

http://www.modernbike.com/light-comparison.asp

So on other options, if I were looking for a new light or lights I would get the CygoLite Expilion 700. You could get one or two of them. That be a nice set up. More $ but a better reputation from a solid company. On the flip side since I run Niterider *1800 & 600* the new Lumina 650 wireless is also a very nice budget light. Still again more money than a 30$ amazon but worth it IMO.

I've got the lights HUTCH is questioning. No, they're not 1200 lumens; I think 8-900 would be a more appropriate number. But, both of mine have run for 2 hours at full power, which I'm plenty happy with. I did 4 hours of a 6 hour endurance race using these lights last summer (only used 1 light at a time, swapped at the 2 hour mark). I was going decently fast (I'm no speed demon), and they did an admirable job. For the budget conscious among us, they're great. For those of you wanting to spend $150-250, go for it. If I had the that, I think the CygoLite 700 would be a good option.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:48 pm 
yappin' kitty

Thanks for the info guys. Now I guess I need to find a rail to go on my helmet.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:30 am 
stealth kitty

Ooh that's another good idea....picatinny rail mounts for helmets and handlebars. :-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mmm bacon.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/user/Shibiwan/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:46 pm 
ridin' dirty kitty!

i have a lumina 650 right now that is usually mounted on the bars but i am looking for an additional light to put on the bars so the lumina can go on the helmet. been eyeballing this one http://www.lumintrek.com/LuminTrail-TB1 ... light.html as it fits the budget, and im leery of cheap chinese stuff.

i watched the video they have posted on that page and for some reason it looks like the light flickers or pulses when on low mode... was wondering why the hell it would do that?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:54 pm 
ridin' dirty kitty!

big terry wrote:
i have a lumina 650 right now that is usually mounted on the bars but i am looking for an additional light to put on the bars so the lumina can go on the helmet. been eyeballing this one http://www.lumintrek.com/LuminTrail-TB1 ... light.html as it fits the budget, and im leery of cheap chinese stuff.

i watched the video they have posted on that page and for some reason it looks like the light flickers or pulses when on low mode... was wondering why the hell it would do that?

checked out the vid for the 1000 lumen model too and it also appeared to pulse... im thinking it has something to do with the video camera, but not sure why it would do that? the led should produce a continuous light so the camera shouldnt make a difference?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:03 pm 
friendly kitty

If so, it is likely running on a pwm circuit, which rapidly pulses the light in order to dim it. Leds only like being full on or full off, but switch between the two states very, very fast. So you can turn it off part time to have the same affect (to the human eye) as having it run half brightness.

It may also be rapidly modulating brightness in response to an integrated voltage controller adjusting the output to maintain a "steady" light output. Either way, you would likely not notice it in person

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:30 pm 
ridin' dirty kitty!

thank you for that explanation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:47 pm 
bad kitty!

It is a common issue, that pulsed LED light does not play nice with cameras.
One partly fix, is to increase the duty cycle of the LED, or reduce the FPS on the camera.
The real easy fix though, is to just avoid PWM driven LED light for video recordings.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:53 pm 
bikini loving kitty!

I see that strobing on lcd's just by looking around quickly.

I'm freaking out man. Yes, you are, MAN.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:05 pm 
grumpeh kitty!

That strobing effect can also make your front tire appear to be standing still, while you're rolling, at certain RPMs.

Just don't spend too much time staring down at it trying to make it work, or you'll miss that approaching speed bump.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:40 pm 
bikini loving kitty!

^ Its true, it can be rather hypnotic.