HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Camera's and settings
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:20 am 
lil' hucker

Post up information on what camera's you have and how you set them up or what settings you use for certain days IE dark, rainy, foggy, snow, daylight etc....

I can't help much with this thread since I just carry by cell phone with me but I just do on the fly adjustments with the settings and edit them back home. That will be another thread or this one if need be; on which programs to use for editing photo's....

Discuss....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:16 pm 
ridin' dirty kitty!

this falls in line with the phone camera thing, in a way, in that the camera on my galaxy s3 *does* have a number of settings for those who know how to make use of them- white balance, exposure value, ISO, metering, etc... but offers no easy way to manipulate them on the fly. if its a staged shot, you have the time to go through the menus and make necessary changes, but for those moments when you need to grab the pic NOW, its really not feasible at all to try to make those adjustments.

the only one i use with any level of regularity is white balance, for taking shots in the woods on sunny days. helps to eliminate the washout from too much sun surrounding all of the shade. sometimes i get it right, other times not so much.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:55 pm 
friendly kitty

*auto

It's the only one that I know how to use with any measure of success.

I do mess with my cell-phone's iso, exposure and white balance by physically blocking the brightest or darkest spots of an image until just before the shutter sound effect occurs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:45 pm 
lil' hucker

With videos I'm okay with everything. Any camera, it's just luck. So go into detail what that "stuff" means cause for me I just fiddle with it till it's oh, okay that looks all right, then take the picture not knowing what the hell the setting values and stuff means.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:45 am 
ridin' dirty kitty!

it goes for phone cameras in the sense that to get to these settings on the phone, it takes forever and a day. i only have the vaguest concept what they are and never mess with them. maybe clay or sti will chime in since they are the photo gurus.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:46 am 
ridin' dirty kitty!

fml, i clicked edit on your post instead of quote :) lol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:56 am 
lil' hucker

Dude, I don't know shit about those settings either. In fact, for still images, I just take a video instead and pluck a nice still from the video. Auto is my friend on straight up photography. The Sony DHX pointandshoot I use has a pretty good auto. It's called Intelligent-auto or something.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:19 am 
lil' hucker

subject, the right light for the subject, volume pictures and luck is my method. I don't care if I take 200 pictures and only keep 10

anything you share online is only as good as the viewers screen and the forum limitations anyway

I can make pictures from our cheap $200 canon and nikon cams look as good as my $700 sony just by adding contrast, saturation and black level in Paint.net. Sometimes the auto-level feature makes it perfect

the mrs has taken some exceptional pics with her iPhone

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:36 am 
timid kitty

Your discusion question has so many variables it could be impossible to provide a straight and honest answer.
My SLR is usually used in manual mode, quite often on a tripod, using a shallow depth of field and quite often long exposures.
I also really like going out late and doing long exposures while popping a flash or 8 off such as the shot below

44 second exposure, ISO 200, f8, 8mm fisheye lens, tripod mounted, used a remote trigger, 8 flashes in different spots
PP adjustment for contrast and blacks

Devils Playground by The McCusker, on Flickr

And a selfie for ya with some details
Same deal, tripod, 8mm fisheye, f8, adjusted WB in PP, ISO 200, remote triggered, PP adjustment for contrast and levels, spot clarity and saturation as well
Self Relic by The McCusker, on Flickr