HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Mongoose Dolomite
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:39 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Well, I did it. I’ve had the FAT BIKE FLUTTERS for over a year, but wasn’t sure of actually purchasing the “REAL DEAL”. I mean, I have a loaded out Trek Fuel EX and I can ride that anywhere, well, virtually. But dishing out the bones for one of these puppies was an arena that I wasn’t accustomed to. Much less, will I like it and how much will I ride it? …So it goes…

Upon the thought that, I ride year around freezing or sweaty and the intrinsic desire to pursue this new adventure, while looking at parts off my old bike, I decided to go with this.

Attachment:
File comment: The Dolomite
IMG_1915.JPG
IMG_1915.JPG [ 1.17 MiB | Viewed 3110 times ]

That’s right ladies and gentlemen, the Wal-Mart Feature: Mongoose Dolomite.

During assembly I acquired the Salsa Moto Ace bars off my old, (you guessed it) Mongoose Pro Comp full suspension (yea right …right?) bike. This was my intro to, how much am I really going to enjoy this before I really make a purchase, mountain bike. At the time I was rocking the big bore Raptor on the trails, which costs a lot more in fuel, oil, rebuilds, mods etc, etc. Also, the brake levers and shifters were much better than, (uhhh hmm coughs) stock. So, I just took the whole bar and assembly off and mounted it up to the Dolomite. Rescuing the cables off the Dolomite was no costly task and the hands of Dremel, which I am very crafty with mind you. I mean, what can’t you do with a Dremel?

Attachment:
File comment: Salsa Bar
IMG_1898.JPG
IMG_1898.JPG [ 876.06 KiB | Viewed 3110 times ]

I also cannibalized the Mongoose Flat Pedals off my old Goose. Yes sir, it’s all or nothing!

Attachment:
File comment: Mongoose Flats
IMG_1901.JPG
IMG_1901.JPG [ 513.11 KiB | Viewed 3110 times ]

One sad defeat was the desired attempt to transfer my Shimano XT 7-speed cassette over that I have. This would have really topped things off because this puppy has a much better gear ratio than the stock Dolomite. The stock Dolomite cassette is the type that threads onto the rear hub. So as you can imagine, I went sad panda real quick. After that attempt, the stickers came off as they were probably installed by a 3 year old. All crinkled up, folded over, …just a boxed Wal-Mart bike. Speaking of which, I was able to get the bike in the box. New fresh generous grease and brake alignment, these wheels were rolling forever smooth and GTG. That’s: Good To Go, for you military types. A nice thing about this is that I can take Mini-Me 2 along in the back seat, which is what I do, sometimes.

Attachment:
File comment: With the Childseat
IMG_1907.JPG
IMG_1907.JPG [ 560.38 KiB | Viewed 3110 times ]

Now, the review.

Frame: It’s steel. Welds are clean and honestly, my last Mongoose took a _________ beating! For the most part, my experience, frames are frames aside from material, geometry, and badges. For the type of riding I’m doing with this; singletrack, snow, sand, and riverfront … it’s solid.

Wheels: Well, I’ve heard they are heavy. Probably so. I mean, they are heavier than the ones on my Fuel EX. Did I weigh them, no. Do I care? My legs don’t. I might drill them for fun and go tubeless, because I’ve read that the tubes are almost a pound. We’ll see. But, the wheels seem tough enough.

Tires: Heavy. Enough to care? Not so much. Plenty of tread and they grab well. This will be an upgrade, period.

Attachment:
File comment: Tread
IMG_1914.JPG
IMG_1914.JPG [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 3110 times ]

Drivetrain: This one deserved to be all-inclusive, as it is what it is. However, it is nice to have the chain-ring guard so that your pants don’t get caught and torn. Aside from that, the gear ratios are low, could use much taller ratios.

Brakes: Well, looking at my knuckles from two Saturdays ago …not enough. Yes I had gloves. It’s just I had to hit the smaller trees or really big tree. They are 160mm mechanical …somethings. A little tweaking goes a long way. Much better now, but still, plan ahead and don’t do like I did and take a rooty-downhill section too fast.

Saddle: I have a WTB Speed V that I could swap over, but this one is not bad. I could ride it all day. Wait, I did.

Handling: Great! Tires bite and really roll. I mean with this much weight moving, how can it not? There is a little auto-steer that you feel when you get going sometimes. Not too bad.

Opinion: So here is my thing. Am I aware that this is a “knock off”, “not a real fatty” such and such? Oh yeah! Which is exactly why I bought it. It gives me the opportunity to see if I like something a little on the heavy side with a little auto-steer that has huge tires. All in all, the experience is the same, just not as fancy. I love riding it so much, that I am tempted to go fatty all the way. It makes me want to invest in a nice Fat Bike. There is something about it that is just fun. I didn’t get it until I rode it. So with better brakes and lighter components, I imagine I could hop it a foot higher. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Fuel EX and getting air, but there is just something about this that I love. Knowing that I’m an avid mountain biker for life, this may be the direction to go. Summed up projected candidate? Salsa Bucksaw?
Do I regret the purchase? Absolutely not. Again, I wanted to go the cheapest route possible, within my willingness to find out if I would enjoy this or not. This isn’t my steed that I take to the drops and tabletops, so that isn’t a concern. We get good snowfall every winter which I’m out in and even if we didn’t, this bad boy is just fun anywhere. I will keep this for quite a while before I make my decision. Truthfully, if you wanted to acquire another set of wheels and cassette option and brake set, this could be the last purchase for a long time if you wanted. But that’s just an option. I won’t go higher than what it would be to purchase a new one with those options collectively.

Satisfied.

Post subject: Re: Mongoose Dolomite
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:14 am 
pussy

Welcome to the Fatwally family! You got brakes and gears you lucky bastid! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:55 am 
lurkin' kitty

That is a great photo. Where is that? I missed the snow time for the fatty, got it too late. Thanks for the comment. :D

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:04 am 
pussy

Middlesex Fells, just north of Boston.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:02 am 
big hucker

I still want a Dolomite... If only I had room in the garage. *sigh*