HK -The place for sore tacos

New members welcomed!
It is currently Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10753 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 355, 356, 357, 358, 359  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:47 pm 
timid kitty

0604211057a by Nate, on Flickr

0604211155 by Nate, on Flickr

a very ssssssnakey waterfall tour today. work sucks, ya know?

0604211023_HDR by Nate, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:42 am 
Clown kitty

Cool....... 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:36 am 
flirting kitty

Mustela wrote:
0604211057a by Nate, on Flickr

0604211155 by Nate, on Flickr

a very ssssssnakey waterfall tour today. work sucks, ya know?

0604211023_HDR by Nate, on Flickr

I am exhausted from working a 12 hour day today. My eyes are crossed and my vision is blurred. I like your snakes but I can't focus in to see what types they are. Can you help me with that Mustela?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:22 pm 
timid kitty

Hawgzilla wrote:
I am exhausted from working a 12 hour day today. My eyes are crossed and my vision is blurred. I like your snakes but I can't focus in to see what types they are. Can you help me with that Mustela?

the long, thin one is an eastern rat snake. it was trucking it across an old airstrip from one side to another, so getting closer for better feature ID just meant it was out of the frame too quick.

the other one at the edge of the brush was a small(ish) timber rattlesnake. it was pretty shady there, so I doubt it was trying to bask, but it definitely wasn't moving. maybe it wanted to cross the gravel road, but it was trying not to be noticed by all the people? it was late morning and the trails were getting busier.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:54 pm 
flirting kitty

Mustela wrote:
Hawgzilla wrote:

the long, thin one is an eastern rat snake. it was trucking it across an old airstrip from one side to another, so getting closer for better feature ID just meant it was out of the frame too quick.

the other one at the edge of the brush was a small(ish) timber rattlesnake. it was pretty shady there, so I doubt it was trying to bask, but it definitely wasn't moving. maybe it wanted to cross the gravel road, but it was trying not to be noticed by all the people? it was late morning and the trails were getting busier.

Thanks. Timber rattlers are gorgeous. I've kept Sidewinders and Southern Pacific rattlers in captivity in the past. I'd love to have a gorgeous Timber rattler in captivity!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:35 pm 
Clown kitty

Hawg.......road trip.......... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:05 am 
flirting kitty

norton55 wrote:
Hawg.......road trip.......... ;)

:thinking: :character-spongebobdance:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:54 pm 
flirting kitty

As I stated earlier, a ride was needed to test out my newly serviced fork and shock. The San Gabes Front Range was chosen. I met my bud Steve at the bottom of Lower San Merrill and up. up, and away we went. The 2 mile climb up LSM is good for 1400' gain!!! That climb went by quickly. Next was the gentle climb up Mt Lowe Railway and then up the fire road to the Inspiration Point lookout. At the lookout, we took a breather. The wind was having it's way with the marine layer, blowing it up the mountain rapidly. Before long we were swallowed by freezing cold wind and buried in the fog so we got the heck out of there. The short distance to Middle Merrill trailhead offered us a patch of sunlight to thaw out in before the gnar-gnar play began. We rolled in on MM and proceeded to have a blast. I stayed back because even though the air was very moist from the fog, the trails were super dusty. We stopped at the start of the DH part of that trail and then the real fun began. Let's just say that my bike gobbled up the nasties very well today. Huge difference. Super plush, magic carpet ride supreme! I even rolled the "Widow Maker" section of MM today. I'm sure you can imagine how that super techy section got it's name. :(

We popped out at the Mt Lowe railway ruins and did the railway climb for the second time, to access Sunset Ridge trail. More refreshed suspension testing through there. It's a fast trail and super fun. Then we finished on Horsey Trails which is always icing on the cake.

13.96 miles, 3258' gain.

I recorded some video footage today but the stabilization of these modern cameras is so good that it makes my trails look like green beginner trails... and they aren't. MM, Sunset, and Upper Horsey are all rated black diamond. Anyway, later on today, I will post up some vids. 8-)

Attachments:
IMG_6371 (1).jpg
IMG_6371 (1).jpg [ 692.04 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]
IMG_6372.jpg
IMG_6372.jpg [ 767.63 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]
IMG_6379.jpg
IMG_6379.jpg [ 864.02 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]
IMG_6377.jpg
IMG_6377.jpg [ 732.49 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:42 pm 
Clown kitty

Be careful up there, H. That bike thief in pic #4 looks like he's going in for the kill!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:19 am 
flirting kitty

Ray Dolor wrote:
Be careful up there, H. That bike thief in pic #4 looks like he's going in for the kill!
LOL! That's my best riding bud. He is kind of scary looking, ay? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:25 am 
flirting kitty

Video links from today's Front Range Romp:

Middle Merrill:
https://vimeo.com/560135682/a302361faf
https://vimeo.com/560125897/9c7fe05936
https://vimeo.com/560150511/5a43b24e12

Sunset Ridge:
https://vimeo.com/560171313/f713dcbb8d

Upper Horse Trail:
https://vimeo.com/560186574/078e4d6595

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:59 am 
Clown kitty

:shock: Great stuff Hawg! What you have told us about the San Gabes appears to be holding quite true. Lotsa crumbly exposure there.
I hope yer bike thief friend knew what he was getting into? :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:47 pm 
big hucker

Eyes wide open. :shock: Better be on your game on most of that. Good to see you slayed the widow maker.

New cowbell?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:59 pm 
flirting kitty

DIRTJUNKIE wrote:
Eyes wide open. :shock: Better be on your game on most of that. Good to see you slayed the widow maker.

New cowbell?

It's a bar mounted bell that I always have but don't always use. I've been lazy about turning it off when it's not necessary.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:57 pm 
Clown kitty

Hawgzilla wrote:
DIRTJUNKIE wrote:

New cowbell?

It's a bar mounted bell that I always have but don't always use. I've been lazy about turning it off when it's not necessary.

Do you ever actually see any hikers or horses on those sections of trail? I'd guess no. I've never seen any other users on sections like that down here...........

BTW, DJ: LOVE that SNL clip! :handgestures-thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:02 pm 
flirting kitty

Ray Dolor wrote:
Hawgzilla wrote:
DIRTJUNKIE wrote:
Do you ever actually see any hikers or horses on those sections of trail? I'd guess no. I've never seen any other users on sections like that down here...........

Ray, on week days, rarely. On weekends, it's insane. All kinds of hikers/users and even some long hiker conga lines clogging up the trails. The beauty of it is some of those hikers are almost always college hotties. Horses, never. Way too treacherous.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:07 am 
bad kitty!

:cry: DJ, your vids are restricted to the U.S.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:55 am 
flirting kitty

Magura wrote:
:cry: DJ, your vids are restricted to the U.S.

You talking to me about my riding videos?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:30 am 
big hucker

Sorry Magura: Try Googling “more cowbell SNL skit”.

Thanks Ray, sometimes I can’t help myself. ;)

Hawg, yes, I was asking if you got a new cowbell. They irritate me to no end. I understand the concept but one that you manually operate when needed is fine unless it’s crazy packed with hikers. Edit: I see now you responded. Please shut it off if not needed, especially when videoing. :)

Awesome vids though, great riding, it looks like a mix of just enough exposure and flow to keep your attention.

Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE on Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:55 am 
flirting kitty

DIRTJUNKIE wrote:

Hawg, yes, I was asking if you got a new cowbell. Pretty sure it was coming from your bike but at times it seemed it was from your riding buddies bike. Never knew you to use a cowbell. They irritate me to no end. I understand the concept but one that you manually operate when needed is fine unless it’s crazy packed with hikers.

Awesome vids though, great riding, it looks like a mix of just enough exposure and flow to keep your attention.

There is so many blind twisty turns and skinny ass trails here that a bell is necessary. You never know whether there is gonna be a drop dead gorgeous college hottie around that corner, or a black bear...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:33 am 
Clown kitty

Hawgzilla wrote:
DIRTJUNKIE wrote:

Hawg, yes, I was asking if you got a new cowbell. Pretty sure it was coming from your bike but at times it seemed it was from your riding buddies bike. Never knew you to use a cowbell. They irritate me to no end. I understand the concept but one that you manually operate when needed is fine unless it’s crazy packed with hikers.

There is so many blind twisty turns and skinny ass trails here that a bell is necessary. You never know whether there is gonna be a drop dead gorgeous college hottie around that corner, or a black bear...

....and as the true outdoorsman that we know you are, yer always ready for that bear! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:53 pm 
Clown kitty

Or bare.......... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:53 pm 
big hucker

Oh dear!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:37 am 
Clown kitty

Or deer............. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:14 pm 
flirting kitty

I invited a few friends to meet up in the forest for a standard Strawberry Peak Loop this morning. Only one was willing to meet up at the unGodly hour of 5:00am. We are entering a heat wave here so "beat the heat" is coming into play with early rides. It's that dreaded time of the year again. So we headed off and did the nasty climb that earns some ridiculous gain of like 1500' for 2.25 miles of going up. My bud was ahead of me by about 10 seconds. He is in sight when he reaches the top of the climb and I start seeing him reacting oddly. Turns out that he startled a big mtn lion and it ran down off the fire road just before I arrived. He was so pumped up with adrenaline, it was weird to see him like that. So, we gathered ourselves and entered the ST. The ride around the East side, backside, through the meadows, and the climb out, was quiet and peaceful which was nice. Not soul around and completely quiet. It was on the DH to Redbox where the weekend warrior hikers started to show up and the groups were many and big. We got through that and took our usual break at Redbox. Then we dropped in on the Gab. Just 100' down the trail, my bud slashed his rear tire pretty badly. Plugs were not going to work here. So I constructed an inner patch out of electric tape while he positioned a tube. The trail is fairly harsh on tires for the rest of the way down so opted to climb out and jump on the forest highway, which we took back to our vehicles.

Attachments:
IMG_6420(1).jpg
IMG_6420(1).jpg [ 1.24 MiB | Viewed 109 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:32 pm 
Clown kitty

Cool adventure Hawg............. 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:27 pm 
friendly kitty

My ride wasn't an adventure like Hawg's. Just 90 degrees and humid enough the roads in the park were damp and a few low sections of trail had fog.
Hawg, no idea how big the slice was you needed to fix was, but good you had a tube and something to keep it in the casing with. I have the tube, and should have a 3" patch still, but I used to keep a dollar bill way back when sidewalls were still only available in tan (natural?).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:01 am 
flirting kitty

Kronk wrote:
My ride wasn't an adventure like Hawg's. Just 90 degrees and humid enough the roads in the park were damp and a few low sections of trail had fog.
Hawg, no idea how big the slice was you needed to fix was, but good you had a tube and something to keep it in the casing with. I have the tube, and should have a 3" patch still, but I used to keep a dollar bill way back when sidewalls were still only available in tan (natural?).

The cut was a two angled slice that a pencil could easily fit through. I'd say it was a shard of glass that caused this. I don't think that multiple bacon strips would have clogged that cut. We get creative when needed out on the trail. I paper money trick is also a good one. I've never done that myself but others around these parts have. 8-)

Last edited by Hawgzilla on Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:05 pm 
timid kitty

Getting a bit of a heat wave up my way, too. Not sure about the high, but it was 88F when I was on my way home around 4pm. So probably not much different from that. I was out teaching folks how NOT to get lost in the woods today. Haven't been out much in the past week because we had been in a pattern with a lot of popcorn storms. Every day it seemed like there would be at least 2, and they could occur at any time, depending on where you were. Some areas got a LOT of rain. My house, in one of the drier areas, got over 1.5" of rain last week. I just don't like getting caught in the woods (esp on top of a mtn or ridge) when one of those storms hits. If the pattern gets reliable enough where the timing of them can be predicted roughly, then I might get out and ride in the morning. But that definitely wasn't this past week. Some folks got out to ride and stayed dry, but many did not. Seemed a luck of the draw situation in large part.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:31 am 
Clown kitty

Mustela.......rain..........lucky........ 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10753 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 355, 356, 357, 358, 359  Next