HK -The place for sore tacos

New members welcomed!
It is currently Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:28 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11071 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367 ... 370  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:00 am 
bikini loving kitty!

He said you’re number one :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:21 am 
timid kitty

Hawgzilla wrote:
Mustela wrote:
I'm pretty excited. Planning to do a Farlow Gap ride on my hardtail next week. That's going to be a proper rowdy one.

Looks like a blast. I watched a few videos on youtube. Seems like the leaves hide the actual chunkiness of the trail. Have fun!

Good thing the leaves aren't falling yet and it's late enough into summer that last year's leaves shouldn't be around. I'll be able to see all the wet chunk as it pitches me to the ground.

Oddly enough, my usual crew hasn't really been interested in doing this ride, despite the fact that we usually do at least one Type 2 fun sort of ride every season.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:49 pm 
Clown kitty

Mustela wrote:
Hawgzilla wrote:
Mustela wrote:
I'm pretty excited. Planning to do a Farlow Gap ride on my hardtail next week. That's going to be a proper rowdy one.

Looks like a blast. I watched a few videos on youtube. Seems like the leaves hide the actual chunkiness of the trail. Have fun!

Good thing the leaves aren't falling yet and it's late enough into summer that last year's leaves shouldn't be around. I'll be able to see all the wet chunk as it pitches me to the ground.

Oddly enough, my usual crew hasn't really been interested in doing this ride, despite the fact that we usually do at least one Type 2 fun sort of ride every season.

I've never seen footage nor heard of the ride you are going to do, Mustela. I hope you can take some pics and/or video of some of it. I'm totally unfamiliar with the riding out your way. :handgestures-thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:18 pm 
timid kitty

Ray Dolor wrote:
I've never seen footage nor heard of the ride you are going to do, Mustela. I hope you can take some pics and/or video of some of it. I'm totally unfamiliar with the riding out your way. :handgestures-thumbup:

I'll try to get some pics. I don't really do video outside of a few off-the-bike clips here and there. Here's a little taste. Of course Lenosky makes everything look stupid easy.

This one probably takes it to the other extreme. Maybe these guys should have chosen a different trail.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:30 pm 
bikini loving kitty!

Yup that first video is the one that found me when I looked it up. Looks like a blast

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:47 pm 
Clown kitty

Wow............ 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:53 pm 
Clown kitty

Lenosky makes it look easy. Since my trial skills have left the building, I guess I'd be doing a fair bit of HAB on Farlow Gap.!
Thanks for posting that, Mustela.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:10 pm 
timid kitty

Pisgah is a bit deceptive. It doesn't have much big chunk. Never really has as long as ppl have been riding here, at least. There are a few spots that get a little big, but mostly not. What it does have aplenty is jank. Flow-killing root/rock puzzles aplenty. Also fast chatter. So you get beat to hell, you have to engage your upper body a lot because of the slow, janky stuff, and you simply get worn out. Also notable spots that are incredibly steep and force everybody to hike-a-bike at some point, esp when climbing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:44 am 
friendly kitty

Same old ride for me. I did check out the progress on a new trail. Intended to catch up with the builder, but missed him. Beyond the machine was a long section of freshly reworked area so I didn't go any further. The excavator was parked in a "stop here" position. Took a shaky pic and went back down the trail, which is great so far.
Other pics I took were worse. Have had a spike in pain lately, shaky too, and think it might be caused by a dosage change in my meds.

Attachments:
Thumbbucket.jpg
Thumbbucket.jpg [ 108.09 KiB | Viewed 601 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:31 am 
Clown kitty

Kronk wrote:
Same old ride for me. I did check out the progress on a new trail. Intended to catch up with the builder, but missed him. Beyond the machine was a long section of freshly reworked area so I didn't go any further. The excavator was parked in a "stop here" position. Took a shaky pic and went back down the trail, which is great so far.
Other pics I took were worse. Have had a spike in pain lately, shaky too, and think it might be caused by a dosage change in my meds.

IT certainly LOOKsS promising, Kronk. Too bad about yer pain spike.... if only it was like at the race track near the 9th: "Double up to catch up"!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:18 am 
flirting kitty

The guys here are doing moonlight madness night ride deep in the forest of Wrightwood here early, and I mean early, Sunday morning. The shuttle truck leaves at 1am, riding starts at 3:30am and then they ride into the daylight. It's been an annual thing with them a for a few years now There's a seat on the shuttle truck open for me but I need my beauty sleep.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:08 pm 
timid kitty

Kronk wrote:
I did check out the progress on a new trail.

What new trail is that one? Working on turning Limekiln into a loop yet?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:31 pm 
friendly kitty

Mustela wrote:
Kronk wrote:
I did check out the progress on a new trail.

What new trail is that one? Working on turning Limekiln into a loop yet?

It's Limekiln 2, return, or whatever it gets labeled in the end.
DNR seems to have given approval to make it day of the week directional. Alex and crew reworked the existing Limekiln while waiting for approval to start on the new leg of it. It's even faster now with more flow and fewer gutter drains. One-way helps since the terrain lends itself to having good space for side features for experienced riders while keeping it easy for the campers that aren't comfortable being head-on charged by fast moving aliens in spandex from the planet Neon spooking them.

Looks like it will be great. That leaves from Weedpatch/Bobcat to Hesitation Point, and the HP leg between HP and Bobcat. Talk of making it one way downhill, but who knows what it'll be.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:46 am 
Clown kitty

I know of another Limekiln trail out west in Dead Horse Ranch State Park, in Cottonwood, AZ. It too is a nice chunky 4 mile or so loop. First time I rode it I did not see a 2-3 ft. rock drop-off in the late afternoon sun, and pitched right OTB. The only time I ever knocked a Spinergy wheel out of true.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:34 pm 
friendly kitty

I don't know if the Limekiln here will have features that big, Ray. There are slabs of rock they can easily position to make a couple, or make slab launches from them. Just have to be placed where they aren't looked at as obvious the main line.

The original section started as a flat, easy trail that starts at a campground and goes to a trailhead where there's a cabin, fire tower, and other park stuff . Easy for new riders, but pump track-ish in spots for the experienced folks. Will have to cross the road to get to the new part.

Cabin where the trail head is in the pic.

Attachments:
JAN_16_12_s.jpg
JAN_16_12_s.jpg [ 99.91 KiB | Viewed 563 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:56 pm 
Clown kitty

Kronk wrote:
I don't know if the Limekiln here will have features that big, Ray. There are slabs of rock they can easily position to make a couple, or make slab launches from them. Just have to be placed where they aren't looked at as obvious the main line.

The original section started as a flat, easy trail that starts at a campground and goes to a trailhead where there's a cabin, fire tower, and other park stuff . Easy for new riders, but pump track-ish in spots for the experienced folks. Will have to cross the road to get to the new part.

Cabin where the trail head is in the pic.

That is really.....picturesque, Kronk. nice. Nah, that drop I speak of is no feature to speak of, it's just that the trail is on the edge of red rock country, 15 mi. from Sedona, in fact, and ledges like that abound an trails. It was my bad not to see it on the very first time I rode it. Everything there is rocks, and spiky things. And breathtaking views that try to sucker you right off the edge of the trail! Great Fun! :handgestures-thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:17 pm 
timid kitty

I'm kinda disappointed that I didn't ride the trails in Dead Horse Ranch SP when I camped there a number of years ago (when I attended the Sedona MTB Fest). They'd have certainly been less busy than the ones in Sedona proper at that time.

I'll be curious to see what Limekiln ends up looking like. It had been getting a bit bonier as it wore in, and was getting less friendly to casual campground riders over the years, as I recall. I'm kinda tempted to head up for the BC Epic this fall. Talked about it with a local friend awhile back, but haven't talked about it with him again for awhile yet. His old Ohio riding crew does the fest just about every year, too, so we both have midwest friends we'd be able to reconnect with.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:21 pm 
friendly kitty

Mustela wrote:
I'm kinda disappointed that I didn't ride the trails in Dead Horse Ranch SP when I camped there a number of years ago (when I attended the Sedona MTB Fest). They'd have certainly been less busy than the ones in Sedona proper at that time.

I'll be curious to see what Limekiln ends up looking like. It had been getting a bit bonier as it wore in, and was getting less friendly to casual campground riders over the years, as I recall. I'm kinda tempted to head up for the BC Epic this fall. Talked about it with a local friend awhile back, but haven't talked about it with him again for awhile yet. His old Ohio riding crew does the fest just about every year, too, so we both have midwest friends we'd be able to reconnect with.

Limelikn was getting to be nearly equal to Walnut. Since there was a delay in approval for the new leg, the old one was brought WAY up over 2019-2020 by Alex's crew.
The Epic is on as of the 21st of this month. Hard truth is the main sponsor (Big Woods spun off a distillery, nice place!). Won't have the food truck since they connected the gas line to the building in 2020, but will figure it out. There will bean IPA and a blonde keg at the Crooked Creek sag, and at least 4 at the pool area. If there's no demos, or few of them, the skillet parking lot will maybe be for RV camping. That's the main stuff from the meeting aside from what to do instead of another pint glass in the swag.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:27 pm 
timid kitty

Kronk wrote:
Limelikn was getting to be nearly equal to Walnut. Since there was a delay in approval for the new leg, the old one was brought WAY up over 2019-2020 by Alex's crew.
The Epic is on as of the 21st of this month. Hard truth is the main sponsor (Big Woods spun off a distillery, nice place!). Won't have the food truck since they connected the gas line to the building in 2020, but will figure it out. There will bean IPA and a blonde keg at the Crooked Creek sag, and at least 4 at the pool area. If there's no demos, or few of them, the skillet parking lot will maybe be for RV camping. That's the main stuff from the meeting aside from what to do instead of another pint glass in the swag.

Good to hear it's running. I'm hanging out with that friend this evening (considering doing a Belgian beer/frites vacation together) and might bring it up.

It almost seemed to me like Walnut was getting easier at the same time. Am I deluding myself on that? Or did my skill just improve and make it seem that way?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:15 pm 
flirting kitty

Quick little 11 mile stroll through Cherry Canyon the other day between monsoon rain pockets. Super humid but the cloud cover kept the sun off my back. Summertime hero dirt made the trails grippy. 8-)

Heading up to Big Bear today and staying into the weekend. Should I take my bike? YES! :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:10 pm 
Clown kitty

Great post's everyone.............. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:43 pm 
timid kitty

Farlow on a hardtail is epic!

0728211126 by Nate, on Flickr

Not many riding pics. The trail was absolutely intense. The top of it peaked at abt 40% gradient (down) and was absolutely covered with wet, loose rocks and wet, off-camber roots. You'd better be comfortable with your bike moving sideways! And don't brake too hard!

This was one of the bigger features Eric from EB and I ended up walking. We spent a good bit of time assessing lines to see what we'd be willing to hit. But this was high enough on the descent that we didn't want to ruin ourselves for the rest of it. We knew there was going to be a strenuous hike-a-bike about midway down. We think we found the best line. What do y'all think?

FYI, the approach above the big tree is fairly wide with lots of line choices across the whole width, with a ton of steep, loose, wet, janky roots and rocks all over that do a great job of limiting your speed. A full send huck might be possible, but I dunno if I'd want to lug the sort of bike you'd be able to do that on up here.

0728211154 by Nate, on Flickr

One of the bigger creek crossings that mortals must hike.

0728211225a by Nate, on Flickr

https://www.strava.com/activities/5702705114
11.5mi, 2200+ft of climbing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:09 pm 
friendly kitty

Mustela wrote:

Good to hear it's running. I'm hanging out with that friend this evening (considering doing a Belgian beer/frites vacation together) and might bring it up.

It almost seemed to me like Walnut was getting easier at the same time. Am I deluding myself on that? Or did my skill just improve and make it seem that way?

Walnut has had so many rocks rolled from the trail and cheat lines worn in that it's annoying. Some talk of not wanting to ride a trail if their girlfriends can't ride it or if they have to put a foot down a few times. They find it absurd that you suggest walking the hard spots or work in gaining skill. There have been questions about making easy lines on Schooner so it's if the hard spots are too hard.

Farlow looks fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:24 pm 
timid kitty

Kronk wrote:
Farlow looks fun.

There is much putting of feet down on Farlow. Some to just assess a really complicated spot to pick a line before sending it. Others to say, "hard pass" on hitting some huge, janky drop with a shitty landing zone.

The climb up is something, that's for sure. I ate ALL my snacks on this ride, and needed more food afterwards. Drank about 2.5L of water. 5hrs on the bike total.

Met some hikers on Daniel's (the "easy" part of the descent, which was still pretty gnar) and they were all baffled that we were riding down it. We told 'em it was nothing compared to where we started riding down.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:11 pm 
Clown kitty

Nice trails.......... 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:26 pm 
big hucker

norton55 wrote:
Nice trails.......... 8-)

Very

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:53 pm 
Clown kitty

Nothing like like that here. Nothin'. :handgestures-thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:44 pm 
flirting kitty

Great stuff Mustela!

I finally got away to Big Bear. I got in two short rides. I went up there to hang out with the friend who owns the cabin where I stay so I didn't want to be away for too long. But then again, how can a rider NOT bring his bike to Big Bear?! I arrived on Wednesday afternoon and settled in. On Thursday morning I did the Pineknot loop (2N10/Plantation/Skyline/Pineknot). A friend drove up to meet me. He was rolling on his new aggro Rocky Mountain Growler. It reminded me of my Banshee and another friend's Moxie. He shredded on it and he is a talented rider. That loop was good for 9+ miles and around 1400' gain. The next morning, we met again but a little bit later so that ride was a bit shorter. We did the Cougar Crest trail loop (Poligue Canyon/SOT/Cougar Crest) and that one was good for 6+ miles. That trail is SO MUCH FUN! Chunky madness in the top half. My friend hadn't been on it in several years so he had forgotten what it is like. We were both laughing and giggling out loud. The chunky sections are so crazy that you just pick what ever line you think is going to work and then hold on for dear life. What a blast. The lower half smooths out, but it gets steeper so its a speedfest to the bottom.

The real excitement was the weather, though. Just before I had arrived, the city up there had received 1.4" of rain from a storm cell so everything was wet and there was puddles everywhere. Can you say hero dirt? OH YEAH! The next day, we had some rain but nothing too crazy. On Friday, more of the same. But yesterday, holy cow! A super cell parked right over the eastern half of the Valley and it let loose on us. Huge random rain drops turned into and absolute deluge with lightning strikes all around. We were driving back from lunch when it let loose. It was hard to see where I was going. When we got back to the cabin it was still pouring and then it turned into pea sized hail for about 10 minutes. Sound inside my car was deafening. We were stuck in my car, parked in the driveway for a solid 20 minutes. It was nuts. We got about 2" of rain out of that storm and much of the ground was white from the hail. While I was packing up to go, we could smell smoke and there was ash on my car. It turns out that one of the lightning strikes hit about 1/8 mile away from the cabin, striking a huge Jeffrey Pine. It burned, first breaking in half. The entire thing fell a while later and my friend said it was intense when it finally fell. In the image, the top half of the tree had already fallen off. There was other spot fires on the mountain because a fire copter kept dropping down over the lake to fill it's water tank. Then it would bee line off into the forest.

Attachments:
ABCD2.jpeg
ABCD2.jpeg [ 677.99 KiB | Viewed 436 times ]
ABCD3.jpeg
ABCD3.jpeg [ 440.15 KiB | Viewed 436 times ]
ABCD4.jpeg
ABCD4.jpeg [ 567.77 KiB | Viewed 436 times ]
ABCD1.jpeg
ABCD1.jpeg [ 203.35 KiB | Viewed 436 times ]

Last edited by Hawgzilla on Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:44 pm 
Clown kitty

Man, sounds like you had quite an adventure there, Hawg! I'm happy for you!
And thank Wotan for the rain! :handgestures-thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:09 pm 
bikini loving kitty!

Awesome pic of that tree!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11071 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 361, 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367 ... 370  Next