HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:42 pm 
friendly kitty

I had been planning either a Specialized AWOL or Surley Disc Trucker build to replace my commuter bike, but I am curious if there is something I am missing.

I am no small potato at 6'3" and 282. For gravel riding, smaller folks do well on 35mm tires, but those are a joke and a flat nightmare for me. I would much rather have the option to run a set of tires like a 29x2 for gravel riding.

I am also rethinking the use of drop bars on the bike. I had planned on some bars like Salsa Wodchippers, but I am now leaning more toward a flat bar with bar ends. While a bull bar would be the same effect, I can use mountain brakes on a flat bar saving money and giving me more powerful options for my big ass. I ran my last gravel grinder on my Camber with this set up and loved it.

So my question is about the frame options. What frames are out there that can handle both a fat tire and a chainring set up like a 50/39/30 or 50/34? I want more top end speed than a traditional mountain crank will allow me to have. My commuter has a 44 and it is okay, but I want more on the flats and out on the open road with cars.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:03 pm 
grumpeh kitty!

I don't know of any touring / commuter / cross frames that take larger than a 45mm tire. The Surly disc-ready frames (LHdiscT, Straggler) will take a 45mm w/out fenders. The LHdT will take a 42/53t double CR, and I'm sure the Straggler can do the same.

It's too bad Origin 8 doesn't make the CX-700 anymore, that cross frame would take a 2.1" tire. Sorta wish I had pulled the trigger and bought one a couple years ago, except the CroMo frame & fork were durned heavy (almost 10 lbs. combined).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:08 am 
yappin' kitty

Here's some I've seen pics of with 1.8-2.0 tires that have fit:
Rawland Drakkar (I've seen pics with Schwalbe Thunder Burt 2.1's)
Giant TCX (I've seen pics with Spesh Renegade 1.8's)
Shand Cycles (custom stuff--purdy)
Curtlo
Velo Orange Camargue
Specialized Tricross
Surly LHT 700c (I've seen a set of 2.0 Race Kings fit)
Pake C'mutr
Rock Lobster
Van Dessell WTF

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:58 am 
timid kitty

This one requires a wait http://www.elephantbikes.com/stock/

This one has a high bottom bracket, which isn't the best for gravel, but purportedly will fit a 2 inch tire http://rencycles.com/omen.html

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:35 pm 
yappin' kitty

Just a thought...

I'm re-purposing a 2010 Unit as a commuter / gravel grinder / bike-packer. It has a steep HA, plenty of clearance for 2.4's, and they're very affordable. Also planning to stay with flat-ish bars.

...sent by dixie cup/string

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:57 pm 
friendly kitty

Sweet! Thanks for the responses. My commuter is a re-purposed 26" Trek STP200. I had started thinking I should just hunt for a steep HA hard tail and do it. Seeing this list of bike you guys put out is encouraging. Thanks :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:28 pm 
timid kitty

Thought about an Ogre with an open bar, mary, north road, etc? Comfy and durable, plenty of clearance for mountain tires if they're needed, and the only thing you lose is four teeth off your desired ring size...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:56 am 
friendly kitty

I don't like the sliding rear drop outs on the Orge. Can't explain why, I just feel like it would inhibit changing tires or tubes...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:58 am 
friendly kitty

I should add that we just bought the wife a new flat bar road bike with space for wider tires. Or course, she is tiny, so 35s would be enough for her. I am going to have to wait a bit to push this build through unless I sell all my extra bike crap and my commuter.... stay tuned for a sale ad. LoL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:58 pm 
friendly kitty

Poking through frame information looking for details about crank clearance I finally looked at the Karate Monkey Ops. 4130 29er frame. Clearance for big or smaller tires. Rack mounts. Clearance for a mountain triple 48-36-26 crank. Not as high as a 50-34, but in reality it is probably more than high enough for me riding. :) Still pking around, but that mountain crank would work well for my needs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:24 pm 
timid kitty

Didn't even know KM had vert drops now.

Those Surly kids seem to be trying to keep up with Giant or something... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:23 am 
friendly kitty

The KM has completely convertible drops now. Single speed, vertical 135mm and 142x12. :) It is quite the jack of all trades now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:19 am 
yappin' kitty

Kona rove? The big rove is a flat bar bike designed for 2.0 tires. Regular rove comes with 32/48 chainring .

Sent from my hammock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:18 pm 
friendly kitty

So I will eat crow.... at least when my birthday gets here.

I finally decided to switch over to a Surly Troll. I can swap just about everything from my current commuter over to the frame and slowly start the upgrades. The Troll can take 27.5 or 700c on top of the 26 with 2.7s. The frame can also take road bike gearing up front (although I will likely run a trekking type 48-36-26 which will put me only slightly under my road bike gearing with a broader range and a bike made to carry crap.

Riding my 26" bike around more makes me really like the 26 wheels for most of the riding I do, but the frame is still a bit flexy for carrying cargo (light weight carbon XC bike). As I make upgrades to the Troll, I will likely rebuild the STP200 and keep it around for a while longer.... nostalgia is hell.

Now.... if only Surly would release a new color between now and then... maybe a yellow.... or orange again. Blue will do ultimately though. :)

Pics as soon as I get her. :) Which may be a month or so.