HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:52 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:51 pm 
friendly kitty

So I took the wife's crank off to swap over to the 36t ring. Found out pretty quick the 36t I bought is NOT the same that I need (it has a drop chain pin which will block the bash guard). Go to reassemble.... no dice.

One of the blind chain ring bolts on the 22t is cross threaded. I did not put much force on the bolt, the only thing I can think is that the old thread locker boogered the threading up (dirty threads). Now I need to either locate a M8 x 0.75 tap or go to the bike store. Both options such because this is NOT a hard job to do. :(

That's what I wrenched on today.... and now the wife will be asking me why her bike is apart. LoL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:41 pm 
bad kitty!

Just remove the chain drop pin. They're usually just riveted on, so with a bit of persuasion they will come off.

As for the messed up thread, I'd clean it up real well, grease it up, and try getting the bolt back in with a T-handle wrench.

Magura :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:01 am 
friendly kitty

The bolt is definitely driving at an angle when it hits the nasty part. That's the pisser. I have never had a bolt cross thread half way into the hole. I could force it, but that never ends well for me. I have a friend that has the tap, but I may hit up a bike store to clean the thread up before I can get to him (lives about 50 miles away).

I am happy to remove the pin, but that is the lesser problem right now. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:21 am 
friendly kitty

EUREKA! Calmed down. Went back and VERY carefully watched as I threaded the bolt in to make sure it was driving true.... little effort to cut through the gunk and DONE!!!

Now I can fool with swapping the 33 to a 36.... you know.... that thing that started the whole mess. LoL

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:16 am 
bad kitty!

That was exactly what I tried to explain you should do. Obviously that didn't make it through the keyboard. ;)
Often this will save the day.

Now that you have managed to get it true, don't forget to clean it well and give it a drop of blue Loctite, as the strength is compromized and you can't count on it not coming loose without threadlock.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:05 am 
friendly kitty

All those drivetrain type bolts get a drop of blue from me. Cheap insurance.

And thanks for pointing out what should have been obvious. I took a small punch and a rubber mallet and removed that stupid pin with 2 easy whacks. :) Her bike is back together now with the 36-22 set up just like mine. :) Now I have to clean and lube her chain and pull my crankset out to clean and relube. Then we will be ready for the "big" ride next month. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:52 am 
bad kitty!

The big ride?

MAgura :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:47 pm 
friendly kitty

My wife has only recently started getting more into riding... I have been yacking about this night gravel grinder I did last year and how much fun it was. She told me she wanted to ride it with me this year. :D Her first "big" ride. 36 miles. We have been riding road 3-4 times a week for the last few weeks since she got a new road bike. :) I am so happy to be riding with her that I don't even care if it is paved.

This work on her bike is because my Spec Camber runs a 36-22 chainring set up while her Rumor had a 33-22 set. She is pushing the 50t on her road bike, so the 33t just isn't going to cut it on a gravel/country road ride. I wanted her to be able to "keep up" with me a bit better.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:06 pm 
bad kitty!

That sounds like fun.
Don't forget to post a report with pics.