HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:05 pm 
friendly kitty

Or at least a new fork is an option. I did the prelim run through our taxes last night, and the wife gave me the green light to get a new fork if the numbers stay which will include building a new front wheel. I don't ride big mountain.... I live in North Texas.... we have hills. I am also a super clyde at 280 without gear.

Options:

1. Repair my 2013 Reba RL, but replace the lowers with a 15mm thru axle. $200 ($300 if I increase travel to 120mm)
- The fork has served me well.
- I never had a complaint about the fork's performance until it broke. :)
- Less expensive wheel options since 15x100 is every where

2. Purchase a 2015 Pike Solo Air ($650 including the air shaft to reduce travel to 120mm)
- The Pike has gotten TONS of praise.
- The 35mm chassis would be stiffer.
- The fork weighs about a pound more than my Reba and I would have to reduce the travel to 120 for my bike.

3. Purchase a 2016 Yari 15x110 ($600)
- Even stiffer chassis than the Pike
- Boost 110 would allow me to build a stronger wheel (I am not sure how much stronger)
- Uses a revised version of Motion Control for dampening instead of the Charger in the Pike. My Reba has MC and I have never thought about it in the past.
- Somewhat limited choices for the hub. I would likely end up with a Hope Pro 4 as a result. I haven't found any of Novatech's hubs to be 15x110.

4. Purchase a 2016 Yari 15x100 ($600)
- Even stiffer chassis than the Pike
- Uses a revised version of Motion Control for dampening instead of the Charger in the Pike. My Reba has MC and I have never thought about it in the past.

I am personally leaning toward the Yari to have as strong/stiff of a front end as possible, but I would be limited on hub choice. If it matters at all, I am thinking I will use a Velocity Blunt 35 for the rim (36 hole) unless I am convinced to go a different direction.

I tried asking for input on a local "board," but they are too distracted by political crap within the club to answer. I will ask here for the uncensored input of the Kitties instead.

Last edited by southsideguy on Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:28 pm 
friendly kitty

I should add, I guess, that this is for a 2013 Specialized Camber Comp. The bike came with a 110mm Reba.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:11 am 
big hucker

I'm looking for a new fork myself for my new bike build. Given you're a clyde and you're at the crossroads of new standards, I would go with the boost fork and hub. You know all the 100 mm fork standards are going to be obsolete soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:32 am 
lil' hucker

I like the idea of a guy your size riding with a 36 spoke front. Hub choices might be limited, but so what. It's a front wheel. Hard to screw up the internal on a front hub.

And go with the stiffest fork you can find, so long as the quality of travel is not compromised.

I just got done putting a Fox Float e4 on my 29er. The bike had a Fox Float on it already, but it was a 20mm travel fork, and theFloat I'm replacing it with is a 140mm travel fork. It seems to have the effect I desired...the HA seems a degree or so slacker. The extra travel is always welcome too. I got the 140 off Universal at a stupid-low closeout price.

Good luck with your choice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:14 am 
flirting kitty

I ride with a guy who has a Camber. He switched to a Pike and noticed a huge difference. He loves the fork and his bike. Go with the Pike. A one pound gain is nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:16 am 
lil' hucker

Nice ssg!
I'll be running my numbers soon. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting some new gear as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:20 pm 
pussy

Go with MRP Stage! :twisted:
I am installing one on my new bike, soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:44 am 
friendly kitty

I chumped out. I ordered my wheel. ProWheelBuilder.com had 10% Hope Pro 4 wheels, so I took the opportunity since I am dead in the water until the fork gets straightened out.

That being said... the wheel is this:
Velocity Blunt 35 (black) 36 hole
Hope Pro 4 Boost hub (orange)
Sapim Race 14-15-14 spokes (black)
Sapim brass nipple (black)

Overall, it cost me about $70 to have it built vs the cost of ordering pieces and building it.... but that includes shipping the wheel.

That also means I am locked into a Boost fork, so I will be ordering my RS Yari Boost as soon as we file our taxes (waiting on the last update on February 15).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:53 am 
big hucker

Sweet! Pics when it arrives! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:49 am 
friendly kitty

marpilli wrote:
Sweet! Pics when it arrives! :)

Est Feb 17. :)

This is the first big upgrade for the Camber in the 3 years I have owned it. :) Ironically, I seem to go for wheels first all the time as that was the first upgrade to my roadie too, but those were bought used... $450 for a set of Kings on Open Pros is not bad at all! :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:14 pm 
friendly kitty

Wheel ordered: Check!
Yari fork ordered: Check!
Orange Jagwire brake hose and fittings ordered to add some more color??? CHECK! :D

Hopefully I will have everything in my hands in a couple of weeks. Then it will be a matter of swapping the crown race over, installing (or getting installed) the star nut and bleeding some brakes. :) The odds that it will rain and shut all of the trails down the day after the stuff shows up? 100%!!!

Hopefully I can get the bike on the trail before summer now.... LoL