HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:02 pm 
friendly kitty

I have been making small changes on my bike this year in an effort to improve my riding enjoyment.... or better put, to have more fun. I have ALWAYS struggled to get my weight shifted far enough back to bring the front end up (manual or bunny hop). I am thinking about (and have posted in PB&J) going shorter on my stem length. The bike in question is my XL 2013 Spec Camber. It has a 100mm stem right now, so I was thinking about trying a 70-80mm. Is that too big of a change in your opinion?

In the last year I have replaced my fork (replaced the Reba with a Yari), gotten use to my Salsa Bend 2 bars (super nice IMHO), bled and re-bled my brakes to get the Saint to finally act like the reviews said (it didn't feel like it had much more power than my Elixer1s even before I shortened the line, but now it is a beast), reset my saddle position (raised the saddle and moved it forward to get the correct leg/knee position), adjusted brake lever position, and re-positioned my cleats.

I still cannot get the front end of the bike off the ground very easily at all. I know a dropper post is in my future because the proper saddle position for pedaling has it up pretty high which limits some movement around it. My last several rides have been SO MUCH fun because my confidence level has risen enough to play instead of just ride (661 knee pads may have a bit to do with that as well).

Input/advice from the HK crowd?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:00 pm 
flirting kitty

A shorter stem is going to change the personality of your bike a bit by putting you in a slightly more relaxed position. If you feel somewhat stretched out (the geo of your frame is XC style), then a shorter stem could give you a little more confidence when you are going downhill. A shorter stem is certainly going to make the bike feel lighter in front so getting the front wheel off the ground would be easier. Try an 80mm stem so that the change is not drastic.

However, if you are completely satisfied with how your bike feels now and how you are positioned on it, then I would just wait until you can get a dropper post for it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:10 am 
friendly kitty

Hawgzilla wrote:
However, if you are completely satisfied with how your bike feels now and how you are positioned on it, then I would just wait until you can get a dropper post for it.

I didn't make it back over here, but I found an Easton EA50 stem for $30 on Amazon. Small $$ risk to try something new.

I also emailed Wolf Tooth yesterday about their remote and my 2x10 Gripshift. They told me to order the remote and they would happily take it back if it doesn't work.... they also said take pictures once I have it fitted because they haven't been asked that question before. I will likely order the remote this week and wait on the stem. A dropper post would make me happier overall. :)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:05 am 
lil' hucker

I've just changed both the bars and stems on my Ellsworth Joker and 29er. Wider bars, shorter stems. Quite an improvement.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:26 pm 
friendly kitty

Just ordered the 75mm stem. It'll be here next week. An EA50 should be good enough for me. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:16 pm 
lil' hucker

A 70 made me feel a bit cramped, until I installed 31" bars. Now, awesome. Other bike has a 29" bar, and an 80mm stem. Perfect as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:50 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Have a 40mm Thomson X4 stem. 620mm Syntace handlebar with Ergon grips. On a large Ibis Mojo 2009. SMP Nymber saddle. Speedplay Frog pedals. Comfortable on 14 hour rides.
But of course I am much smaller than Schwarzenegger.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:51 am 
big hucker

Interesting. 620 mm with a 40 mm stem. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:34 am 
pussy

Yeah, 620mm is narrow. Once you go wide, you can't go back.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:54 pm 
lil' hucker

Once you go wide, you most certainly CAN go back. That's my experience with an 800mm bar. I am MUCH more comfortable with a less-wide 760 mm "wide bar". Much more control for me on that bike.
So one size does NOT fit all!

Also, p[lease note the time interval between my earlier posts on this and this post.
The "new stuff" period is over, and the initial buzz and excitement period is gone. The above is what's left....