HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:22 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256 ... 286  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:08 pm 
big hucker

Hawg, nice way to start the new year. :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:25 pm 
lil' hucker

New year, new bike? I like it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:41 pm 
flirting kitty

Sti wrote:
Are white bikes a thing now? :thinking: Congrats, Hawg!

As for brakes, this is my N-th season of riding on Saintguras - Saint levers + Magura MTS calipers. They still work great, and if the hoses go bad, I have a spare set of MT6 brakes that I bought for $30, including new pads. :dance:

Btw. what is this "too low BB" that you are talking about? I put 27.5 wheels on a 29 frame and long shocked it so I have a 150/160mm shred machine with 12.7" low BB and I could not be happier! :lol:

Thanks guys!!! :D

Sti, it's silver, not white. Probably those bright blue skies we have here 365 days a year that makes it look lighter in my pic. ;)

Anyway, here's a website pic of the bike:

Attachments:
AEX8-29.jpg
AEX8-29.jpg [ 218.81 KiB | Viewed 1164 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:50 pm 
lil' hucker

I'm wondering how come the Fuel, being an XC-ish bike, is 2 lb.s heavier than your Remedy, which is an AM type bike?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:30 pm 
bad kitty!

Well, is it so in reality?
The wheels are probably heavier, as they're bigger, but all else should be lighter os the same, no?

Magura :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:15 pm 
big hucker

Hawg, I’m surprised you got it after sitting in on for so long. Surprised he didn’t find another buyer in the meantime. Lucky score, it is weird that it’s so much heavier than the Remedy though. Are you sure you’ve got those weights correct on both?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:25 pm 
flirting kitty

The new Remedy is even heavier. The modern frames are much more stout. It's shocking how much more stiff it is than the old Remedy. The frame tubes are bigger. And yes, the wheels are heavier because they are wider to take these popular wide tires everyone is riding these days.

The other thing is that the geo of this new Fuel is similar to the geo of my old Remedy and the travel is not much different either so they have made these bikes able to handle much more. People refer to the Fuel as an XC bike. I disagree. It's a Trail bike. XC bikes have 69-70 degree HTAs. This bike has 67.0-67.7 HTA depending on how the suspension chip is positioned.

My remedy weighed about as much as this Fuel weighs now before I customized it to lose a bunch of weight which included a $900 wheel set that shaved over a pound in weight off the bike alone. The OEM wheel set weighed 2200 grams. The one on there now weighs 1600 grams.

I do eventually plan to buy an upgraded wheel set for the bike. It can stand to lose a little bit of weight me thinks.

Trust me, this new bike is no sissy. It's got bigger balls than I have. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:33 pm 
flirting kitty

Weights of bikes have increased. We have crazy low geared drive trains available now that will get you up a mountain on a 40 pound bike.

Heck the cassette on my Fuel has a 50 tooth pie plate for a low gear.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:06 am 
big hucker

Well, hopefully this is your quiver killer you’ve been seeking. Seems to fit the bill from the reviews I've read on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:08 am 
lil' hucker

DIRTJUNKIE wrote:
Well, hopefully this is your quiver killer you’ve been seeking. Seems to fit the bill from the reviews I've read on it.

Quiver killer is a lie. It only works until it doesn’t.

I suggest never, ever selling any bicycle unless there is no room for new loves. Monogamy is for people not pedals

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:56 am 
big hucker

Well said Mini......... :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:40 am 
big hucker

:laughing-rolling:
___/\______/\_/\___rolling_down_the_mountain.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:08 am 
lil' hucker

That makes sense, just like worrying about dropping a carbon bike at speed on rocks is risky.
I have been riding well over a decade on two 32 noodle-spoked Spinergy wheel sets. I've only had to true a wheel twice in all that time. That right there is a good way to lighten up a bike.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:31 am 
flirting kitty

MiniTrail wrote:
I suggest never, ever selling any bicycle unless there is no room for new loves. Monogamy is for people not pedals

Whoa, are you trying to get me divorced?! ;)

I'm faithfully married but I go through bikes like strippers and hookers. I like it like that. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:38 am 
big hucker

Hawgzilla wrote:
MiniTrail wrote:

I'm faithfully married but I go through bikes like strippers and hookers. I like it like that. :D

At least you hang on to your bikes for a few months longer than. . .

;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:54 am 
lil' hucker

I tried the single bike deal with the fatty. At the time it was all I needed. Swap tires for different needs.

There is a small hill on my local ride that is near effortless on the Flux. The fatty takes some real finesse but I had learned how to make it. I say had because the last two times I’ve tried I’ve failed. Makes it interesting again. That has value my opinion. The Alenax on the trail was a whole different level of fuckery

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:53 pm 
bad kitty!

Ray Dolor wrote:
That makes sense, just like worrying about dropping a carbon bike at speed on rocks is risky.
I have been riding well over a decade on two 32 noodle-spoked Spinergy wheel sets. I've only had to true a wheel twice in all that time. That right there is a good way to lighten up a bike.

QFT on both accounts!

The good news about the hydroformed aluminum MTB frames of today, is the wall thickness being much the same along the tubes.
The frames are heavier, but significantly sturdier and cheaper to manufacture, than the paper thin, triple butted, aluminum tubes of the past.
Practically all my road bikes sport aluminum frames, some with wall thickness below 1mm. I'd dare to claim I can make a dent in one of those, by simply pressing the middle of the top tube with my thumb.
For a MTB, that's beyond requirements.

On the noodle spoked Spinergy, I can also support the above statement. They have a bad reputation from their first years, but today they're excellent wheels, and the by far cheapest way to drop significant rotating weight.
The above only goes for Americans, and I'd think the guys from Canuckistan, as here in Europe, Spinergy has ZERO! support. Getting as much as a spoke, is a matter of import from the U.S., and finding anybody who can work on them......good luck.
I run Spox on a few bikes, and the Mrs. runs the Xaero Lite wheels on a few bikes as well.
They hold up surprisingly well, I've got no problems working on them myself, and by now I have simply got a set of each kind to cannibalize for spares.

Magura :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:58 pm 
bad kitty!

Hawgzilla wrote:
MiniTrail wrote:

I'm with Mini here.
You never know till you're in the bike cave, if you wanna ride the wife or a hooker, and really, on occasion we see people even getting divorced, to marry the stripper.....

Magura :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:02 pm 
lil' hucker

I want a stripper bad

Attachment:
E54BFB4D-6D1A-43DF-A5D0-BF79BDA26324.jpeg
E54BFB4D-6D1A-43DF-A5D0-BF79BDA26324.jpeg [ 74.05 KiB | Viewed 1109 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:09 pm 
big hucker

^^ :laughing-rolling:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:42 pm 
bad kitty!

:laughing-rolling:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:34 pm 
flirting kitty

I am selling parts off of my 2014 Trek Remedy. Anyone looking for high end/used 27.5" DT factory wheels, a 27.5"/140 travel Fox Factory fork, or Shimano XT M700 series drivetrain parts?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:51 pm 
big hucker

Hawgzilla wrote:
I am selling parts off of my 2014 Trek Remedy. Anyone looking for high end/used 27.5" DT factory wheels, a 27.5"/140 travel Fox Factory fork, or Shimano XT M700 series drivetrain parts?

Are you parting the Remedy out or selling parts you replaced? Either way this is a remedy for disaster.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:02 pm 
flirting kitty

DIRTJUNKIE wrote:
Hawgzilla wrote:

Are you parting the Remedy out or selling parts you replaced? Either way this is a remedy for disaster.

:roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:33 pm 
lil' hucker

He skimmed

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:54 am 
big hucker

:doh:

Apparently there’s more money in parting out a Remedy than selling it whole. The Remedy demand has sank to a new low. Let’s ponder the name Remedy shall we. The name would suggest it’s the remedy to all situations you’d come across on a dirt trail. This would suggest it’s the holy grail quiver killer of rides. See where I’m going with this? :laughing-rolling:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:52 pm 
flirting kitty

DIRTJUNKIE wrote:

Apparently there’s more money in parting out a Remedy than selling it whole. The Remedy demand has sank to a new low. Let’s ponder the name Remedy shall we. The name would suggest it’s the remedy to all situations you’d come across on a dirt trail. This would suggest it’s the holy grail quiver killer of rides. See where I’m going with this? :laughing-rolling:

Of course you can make more money parting out a bike, silly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:59 pm 
big hucker

Hawgzilla wrote:
DIRTJUNKIE wrote:

No comment on the quiver killer name “Remedy”? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:11 pm 
flirting kitty

DIRTJUNKIE wrote:
Hawgzilla wrote:
DIRTJUNKIE wrote:

No comment on the quiver killer name “Remedy”? ;)

None whatsoever

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:29 pm 
lil' hucker

In all fairness to Trek, they never did say what it was a "Remedy" for....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8552 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256 ... 286  Next