HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:58 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:58 am 
big hucker

Welcome back Flyin_W.

Speaking of which:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:07 am 
flirting kitty

DIRTJUNKIE wrote:
Welcome back Flyin_W.

Speaking of which:

Saw this a week ago. Never look down when landing a jump. Only look forward.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:56 pm 
lil' hucker

That looked like a bit of a concussion. Hopefully no c-spine involvement, but at that speed, it's probable.

The things we do for kicks..... :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:31 am 
big hucker

Replace the word “we” with “some”. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:45 pm 
lil' hucker

DIRTJUNKIE wrote:
Replace the word “we” with “some”. ;)

Quite right, DJ.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:32 am 
flirting kitty

N-fiddy-five, I will be up in SLO Town again on the first weekend in November. You gonna be down that way then?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:01 pm 
big hucker

Let me check my schedule and I'll get back to you. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:23 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Had a crash almost 2 months ago and doctor tell me do not go out on anything bumpy like riding a mountain-bike at least one or two more months.

Only 20km/h and a really bad headache.

POC Tectal Race XXL helmet with what I now consider far too hard foam, taking care of the skull but not at all the brain.

Not that I know which helmet is best or which area of the world has the safest helmets, but I know that Japanese approved helmets are OK in Japan and not in EU or US, in Japan they make some nice helmets that fit people with round heads better than most US and EU helmets, good for round Viking heads like mine.

To get helmets approved in Australia most of the light well ventilated helmets with US approval must be made heavier and often less ventilated. Heavier = more safe?

Even EU and US do not agree about everything (has nothing to with president or prime minister) so where to buy a safe or the safest helmet depend on where you live. Sound silly in 2019? To be approved in EU and US the helmet must meet standards that are directly stupid as most of us never ride with the speed that the helmets must prevent the cracking of the skull in order to be OK plus that standard is having no limit for how much the brain should be protected. Movement of the brain is what causes concussion and the standards for helmets are telling nothing about how to protect the brain – only the skull.

Mips is supposedly good, but the motion that is allowed with Mips stops so abrubt that it is not much better than no Mips in my eyes. Wavecel from among other Bontrager may also be better and the straw in Smiths helmets they call Koroyd is probably also better than the usually used standard foam. The rubber like or silicone dampers in 100% Altus and 6D motorbike and MTB helmets are another alternative.

I bought a heavy lid that according to what my concussed brain tells me is more safe than the one I had, as I just crashed in a POC Tectal Race, and the rather hard density foam inside it is well damaged and deformed and the helmet is no longer of any use; plus my brain got well rattled.
I thought a 6D ATB-1T EVO with silicone dampers would be a much better choice and bought one. Silicone is not degrading like the too little damping and after some time not at all damping material in most helmets when exposed to UV radiation, and we all are if we are out in daytime.

The 6D ATB-1T EVO XL is not bigger than the POC Tectal Race XXL I crashed in but definitely has better absorption for slow crashes as the inner part of the helmet is moving on the rubber-suspension where the foam inside the POC was rather hard and not moving at all. The extra weight of the helmet is not felt when it is on my head plus the fitting of the helmet is excellent. There are lots of extra rubber pieces with the helmet to put in places where the shell is not touching my skull but I needed nothing. There is no bag for hanging the helmet up after a ride so it can dry, so I use the POC bag, which is well ventilated.

Hope not to find out the hard way that I bought a safer helmet, but I do think that silicone is better to protect my egg than the polystyrene or whatever not soft enough material that is mostly used in helmets, and for me a bigger and a bit heavier helmet with maybe even less ventilation is a small price to pay if my brain will be better protected.

That almost all helmets use the same kind of foam could make somebody believe that they are all made in China on same factory and only have different designs and colours so they are acceptable to all the well-known brands.

Most helmets are sold on look, ventilation and weight.

Now is the time to demand protection.

In a couple of month’s doctor hopefully think I can ride again and then I will tell if I think the new helmet is better than the old.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:15 pm 
big hucker

Great post. In a past life I was an EMT in a very rural area of the North Coast of California. One of the critical things we learned was head trauma. There is a dynamic called Coup Countercoup. When the head has an impact, the brain will move from one side of the other in the skull, causing an impact on both sides of the brain. So, you can pay for an expensive helmet, but you can't change the dynamics of how the brain floats in the skull.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:24 pm 
lil' hucker

Second Norton's comments. Plus, it's been known forever in boxing game that multiple concussions make for "punchdrunk" boxers. Now the same realization in U.S. football, where the "protective" helmets and pads basically weaponize 200 lb. + athletes. Sub-knockout trauma to the head is cumulative, like radiation. Best to avoid blows of any kind to the head.
I know there was something else I wanted to put in this post, but I've already forgotten it. Proving my own points!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:02 pm 
big hucker

Getting ready to start packing. Just got the word that we are in an evacuation alert. Fire is 30 miles away, but if it crosses Highway 101, it could burn all the way to the coast, due to the extreme wind conditions tonight. Got to prepare for the worst.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/multimedi ... f=mosthome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:47 pm 
lil' hucker

Stay safe friend

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:10 am 
big hucker

Thanks Mini. Truck and trailer packed, can leave on a moment's notice. Still have power, although we have been alerted to leave now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:17 pm 
big hucker

Lost our power, so we decided to leave and head to our daughters house in Petaluma. Took Highway 1 and didn’t have to much traffic. Got at here at 23:00. Now the waiting game.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:31 pm 
lil' hucker

Must be crazy stressful
Can’t imagine what you’re going through

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:34 pm 
big hucker

Living in the woods for 42 years I have been preparing for this event for years. I’m kinda at peace with this. My poor cat on the other hand.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:11 pm 
lil' hucker

norton55 wrote:
Living in the woods for 42 years I have been preparing for this event for years. I’m kinda at peace with this. My poor cat on the other hand.

Gosh, Norton, all's I can say is good luck. Just don't let the kitty escape.
This won't last forever.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:37 pm 
big hucker

A bit late but good luck Norton. I’ll be thinking of you in the days ahead. I’ve been there before, very stressful times. Sounds like you’re handling it like a champ though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:29 pm 
bad kitty!

Best of luck N55.
Do you know if your place still stands?

Magura :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:29 am 
big hucker

It’s still there. We had a mandatory evacuation notice yesterday based on the wind conditions, so we had time to pack. Hopefully once the wind dies down tomorrow we can head back. They’re making a good stand keeping the fire from jumping Highway 101 at this time. Just have to wait it out.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:00 pm 
flirting kitty

norton55 wrote:
It’s still there. We had a mandatory evacuation notice yesterday based on the wind conditions, so we had time to pack. Hopefully once the wind dies down tomorrow we can head back. They’re making a good stand keeping the fire from jumping Highway 101 at this time. Just have to wait it out.

How are things going up there?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:38 am 
big hucker

Got home, survived the last wind event and got power/phone/internet back. Getting the onshore breeze again. All is good.
I just got to say I live in an incredible little community. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:04 am 
lil' hucker

Great to hear!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 pm 
flirting kitty

Glad to hear that things turned out good for you N55. We are burning up down here, luckily, not close to my locale.

I did have a close encounter of the scary kind on my drive home from work yesterday, though. I was driving past the border of an fast moving fire that had just jumped a freeway where a closure was in place for the opposite direction I was going in. A DC-10 was doing passes dropping phos-chek to keep it from advancing. I was watching it doing loops from a ways off as I was approaching the area. It's an odd sight to see a passenger jet flying so low to the ground and maneuvering with tight turns to follow the terrain. Well, it turns out that it was doing drops right next to where I was about to get on the freeway. As I approached the on ramp, it had just made a drop and it passed by me just barely ahead. I was terrified that I would get phos-chek residual on my new ride. :pray:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:58 pm 
big hucker

Wow. Gotta' say those pilots carry their balls in a wheelbarrow. I hear the real thrill is when they drop their load the plane tends to elevate quickly due to quick loss of weight. 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:50 am 
flirting kitty

norton55 wrote:
Wow. Gotta' say those pilots carry their balls in a wheelbarrow. I hear the real thrill is when they drop their load the plane tends to elevate quickly due to quick loss of weight. 8-)
YIKES! That would explain why the plane goes up fast immediately afterward. I'll bet that's a scary-fun rush for the pilots who know the plane well. Frankly, I think those guys are nuts flying so close to the ground and making sharp/banking turns like they do. It may not be a huge passenger jet but it's a huge flying contraption, nonetheless and it's quite intimidating when you happen to be close when it does it's run.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:57 am 
big hucker

I guess I'm out for MDO this weekend. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:14 pm 
flirting kitty

norton55 wrote:
I guess I'm out for MDO this weekend. :cry:

That's certainly understandable. I actually don't want to go up there because I have so much going on down here. It's a wedding in Paso Robles that has me going up to the Central Coast this time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:30 am 
big hucker

Any updates Norton?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:07 am 
big hucker

All is kinda' back to "normal".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8602 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287  Next