HK -The place for sore tacos

New members welcomed!
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9631 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303 ... 322  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:15 pm 
bikini loving kitty!

Snow here today too

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:32 pm 
big hucker

norton55 wrote:
It's Colorado.

Yep, I’ve seen a snow storm come through in June here. Of course it was 80° the next day so it was just a teaser. That’s pretty rare but it’s not that rare for a May storm to come through. Most years a couple in March is the norm.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:48 pm 
flirting kitty

Woohoo, I rode on some dirt today!!! :D

I decided to finally bite the bullet and do Strawberry Peak alone (since nobody else has been available lately). It's ride that really shouldn't be done alone since it's surrounded by wilderness. But, it's one of the few trails open in the lower forest during the pandemic so I knew there would be other users. And there was and luckily, not many. I saw one other biker and a few hikers. I thought I'd see more. The trail is in prime shape with 50% of it in hero dirt status and just a few downed trees to deal with. It is however, quite overgrown and the buck thorn sliced the crap out of me. The trail itself is 10 miles long and we'd usually go across the hwy where it dumps out and jump onto the Gabrielino Trail but it is closed so I did a nice long 4 mile DH coaster on the forest hwy back to where I had parked. It felt so nice to roll on dirt again. It's been about month since I have.

Attachments:
IMG_2853.JPG
IMG_2853.JPG [ 1.02 MiB | Viewed 946 times ]
IMG_2852.JPG
IMG_2852.JPG [ 918.4 KiB | Viewed 946 times ]
IMG_2851.JPG
IMG_2851.JPG [ 963.21 KiB | Viewed 946 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:37 pm 
bikini loving kitty!

I miss dirt! Glad somebody is getting a little

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:23 am 
big hucker

Nice....... 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:55 am 
bad kitty!

Yeah, looking good!

Magura :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:15 am 
flirting kitty

I strongly urge you to not look off to the right while you watch this video! :lol:

https://vimeo.com/410457192

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:01 pm 
big hucker

Pucker time. I always tell myself.......there is no spoon, there is no edge.......... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:51 pm 
flirting kitty

norton55 wrote:
Pucker time. I always tell myself.......there is no spoon, there is no edge.......... ;)

Yes, it's the only way to be able to ride that stuff. I've taken friends through there before and three of them couldn't handle it so they walked all the exposed sections/areas and my video shows about 1/3 of the total amount of exposure. However, my video shows the longest continuous section of exposure on that ride. Probably 80% of that ride is done on a steep mountain side. Welcome to the San Gabriels Mountains. You'd better be able to deal with exposure if you're gonna ride here. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:52 pm 
big hucker

Love it........... 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:57 pm 
bikini loving kitty!

That’ll keep you regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:02 am 
big hucker

Hawgzilla wrote:
I strongly urge you to not look off to the right while you watch this video! :lol:

Well you obviously made it down alive, you posted this. ;)

I’ve ridden exposure but never exposure that went on and on for so long. My hat goes off to you for staying focused.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:17 am 
lil' hucker

That is a wonderful trail there, H. From what I've seen of your footage, I like it more than Noble Canyon.
So no poodle bush this year?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:42 am 
flirting kitty

DIRTJUNKIE wrote:
Hawgzilla wrote:

Well you obviously made it down alive, you posted this. ;)

I’ve ridden exposure but never exposure that went on and on for so long. My hat goes off to you for staying focused.

Thanks DJ
Ray Dolor wrote:
That is a wonderful trail there, H. From what I've seen of your footage, I like it more than Noble Canyon.
So no poodle bush this year?

It's a little early to say whether there will be any Poodle Dog Bush this year but my hunch is no, or very little if any. It's been almost 11 years since the Station Fire ravaged the area and that plant has all but disappeared in the last 2-3 years in the San Gabes (until the next fire wakes it up again).

If you like what you saw there Ray, you'd love the rest of it. I will upload another clip and post it here later.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:23 am 
flirting kitty

OK, here's another clip. This is where the DH section begins after skirting the first half of the backside. It drops down into the meadow and then through some fun stuff and it ends at the sign where I took the pic of my bike leaning against it.

https://vimeo.com/411280010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:03 pm 
bad kitty!

Went out for the first ride of the season.
Was a good excuse to finally get some miles on the Coppi Galaxy. It's actually a real decent bike!
May not sound like a lot, but in a country where the winter season is 8 months long, well, you get the picture.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:32 pm 
bikini loving kitty!

Good for you!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:13 am 
lil' hucker

Hawgzilla wrote:
OK, here's another clip. This is where the DH section begins after skirting the first half of the backside. It drops down into the meadow and then through some fun stuff and it ends at the sign where I took the pic of my bike leaning against it.

Fan-Tastic, H.! That trail is a perfect example of how a true "natural" trail should look.

As to Noble, In the 80's on full-rigid, Ritchey Logic fork bikes, we could ride UP Noble Canyon from Pine Valley to The top at Sunrise Highway (Penny Pines). The word got out, as a great out-and back 20 mile trail. Trail gurus of the day, MTB Bill, etc. , wrote glowing reviews, and so the Forest Service decided to conduct some "maintenance" on it........with a Bobcat, and fittings. So, the trail was now soft dirt all the from top to bottom. Almost no exposed rock, single track, or anything else desirable to mtb'ers. But the soft dirt was wonderful to the horsies, and the FS got their little head-pat for being good doggies. Then, seasonal storms and changes almost immediately got to work on their own, the trail began to show some of its' original character, and the mtb'ers kept coming. Soon it was back to a rideable trail, up and down, but not that easy a trail. That degrading continued until today I cannot climb it, and descending it there are numerous sections I must walk. It's just too risky, much more so than the footage you kindly shared with us of Strawberry Peak.

But I fully expect you to come down here to ride it , prolly this year, so I might as well get back in shape so I can show you the whole enchilada, not just the "shuttle queer" version. NTTAWW being a shuttler.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:17 am 
lil' hucker

Magura wrote:
Went out for the first ride of the season.
Was a good excuse to finally get some miles on the Coppi Galaxy. It's actually a real decent bike!
May not sound like a lot, but in a country where the winter season is 8 months long, well, you get the picture.

That also sounds fantastic, Mr. M. I expect you have some beautiful countryside to ride through.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:40 am 
bad kitty!

Danish countryside in the spring is sure beautiful. Yellow rapefields all over the place, everything fresh green, and right now almost without traffic.
If it wasn't for the fact that it keeps me from going back to Florida, I would say they could keep the COVID-19 panic going as long as they'd like.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:07 am 
big hucker

Magura, you should ride here in the spring.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:56 am 
bad kitty!

I've spent spring in the Panhandle FL a few times, that's also good.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:02 am 
big hucker

You know you are always welcome.......... 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:59 pm 
bad kitty!

I may take you up on that....
Everyone I know are either in the north or in the south.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:53 pm 
flirting kitty

Ray Dolor wrote:
Hawgzilla wrote:

Fan-Tastic, H.! That trail is a perfect example of how a true "natural" trail should look.

As to Noble, In the 80's on full-rigid, Ritchey Logic fork bikes, we could ride UP Noble Canyon from Pine Valley to The top at Sunrise Highway (Penny Pines). The word got out, as a great out-and back 20 mile trail. Trail gurus of the day, MTB Bill, etc. , wrote glowing reviews, and so the Forest Service decided to conduct some "maintenance" on it........with a Bobcat, and fittings. So, the trail was now soft dirt all the from top to bottom. Almost no exposed rock, single track, or anything else desirable to mtb'ers. But the soft dirt was wonderful to the horsies, and the FS got their little head-pat for being good doggies. Then, seasonal storms and changes almost immediately got to work on their own, the trail began to show some of its' original character, and the mtb'ers kept coming. Soon it was back to a rideable trail, up and down, but not that easy a trail. That degrading continued until today I cannot climb it, and descending it there are numerous sections I must walk. It's just too risky, much more so than the footage you kindly shared with us of Strawberry Peak.

But I fully expect you to come down here to ride it , prolly this year, so I might as well get back in shape so I can show you the whole enchilada, not just the "shuttle queer" version. NTTAWW being a shuttler.

Ray, I’d be honored!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:55 pm 
flirting kitty

Magura wrote:

Imagine having an official HK group ride!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:02 pm 
flirting kitty

I have a simple RR to share here. I did an easy cruiser night ride last night out in Yucca Valley with my cousin. He was a bit freaked out by being surrounded by darkness with just the beam of light our kits supplied to depend on. And its darker than dark out here in the middle of the Mojave Desert at night. We were hoping to have snake encounters and we did but sadly it was a freshly run over rattlesnake, still squirming in agony. Aside from that we saw another snake track in the sand, several mice, a rabbit, and a stink bug. We are gonna ride again today but this time starting before dusk and hopefully finish at or before dark. 9 miles including a combo of sandy roads and pavement.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:28 pm 
lil' hucker

Hawgzilla wrote:
I have a simple RR to share here. I did an easy cruiser night ride last night out in Yucca Valley with my cousin. He was a bit freaked out by being surrounded by darkness with just the beam of light our kits supplied to depend on. And its darker than dark out here in the middle of the Mojave Desert at night. We were hoping to have snake encounters and we did but sadly it was a freshly run over rattlesnake, still squirming in agony. Aside from that we saw another snake track in the sand, several mice, a rabbit, and a stink bug. We are gonna ride again today but this time starting before dusk and hopefully finish at or before dark. 9 miles including a combo of sandy roads and pavement.

That's pretty cool, H. Usually when I do my 'urban' trail route down here where I leave from my apartment, The small trail area of Florida Canyon is good for 1 or 2 coyote sitings, and countless rabbits. Mostly cottontail.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:35 pm 
bad kitty!

Hawgzilla wrote:
Magura wrote:

It could actually be pretty cool!

Where about are youall?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:35 pm 
flirting kitty

Magura wrote:
Hawgzilla wrote:
Magura wrote:

It could actually be pretty cool!

Where about are youall?

N55, Ray, and I are in California.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9631 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 297, 298, 299, 300, 301, 302, 303 ... 322  Next