HK -The place for sore tacos

New members welcomed!
It is currently Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Down in the Old Pueblo
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:46 pm 
yappin' kitty

If anyone is heading this way... Tucson... hit me up and I will show you some nice rides! Some great chunk if you can take the heat :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:19 pm 
yappin' kitty

Here's a post-OTB picture from the Alamo Spring trail... this is serious chunkiness! I walked away unhurt from this, just a couple minor grazes and a few cactus punctures...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:39 pm 
impatient kitty

Were you climbing or descending? Thanks for the offer RC, be careful, you might have a whole line of us showing up at your door one afternoon!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:58 pm 
friendly kitty

It looks like that hurt, both the bike and you, Rockerc. AZ is chunk heaven, the whole state is nothing but rocks and boulders, makes for very talented mtn bike riders, kinda really tough on the out of staters to get the skillz necessary to navigate that stuff, let alone visualize and see the lines to shoot for.

At 56, I am too old and bones too brittle to risk playing that game, it's a young mans game. I'm at a point in life where I need my single track to be a little more buff than that, stuff wheels roll over easily without much impediment or forks diving upon contact and instant OTB due to not enough momentum.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:16 pm 
pussy

That trail looks amazing, RC! Once you get to like chunk there is no way back, although that section looks extra gnarly. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:21 pm 
yappin' kitty

Rockerc wrote:
Here's a post-OTB picture from the Alamo Spring trail... this is serious chunkiness! I walked away unhurt from this, just a couple minor grazes and a few cactus punctures...

A very kind offer.
AZians have skin of leather, and are tougher than hell. :whistle:
The rest of us mere mortals would be plucking spines, and patching wounds.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:14 pm 
yappin' kitty

I was on my way down that one, almost every time I come down there I have a little episode! At 58, I am getting a little long in the tooth for these shenanigans, but as long as it's fun, I'll keep doing it! I wear out my G Form pads pretty quickly here...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:13 am 
friendly kitty

I love that kind of shat! Whats the temp like in Sept-Oct?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:46 pm 
friendly kitty

I was lucky I didn't have any major wipe-outs when I rode with Opti, Katz, and Bike&Fish out in the AZ chunk, just a couple bail-outs from washing out on the decomposed granite, AKA "kitty litter". I'd love to ride with you some day, Rocker!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:00 pm 
friendly kitty

Wedge wrote:
I was lucky I didn't have any major wipe-outs when I rode with Opti, Katz, and Bike&Fish out in the AZ chunk, just a couple bail-outs from washing out on the decomposed granite, AKA "kitty litter". I'd love to ride with you some day, Rocker!

Hawg wasn't with you on that ride?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:05 pm 
friendly kitty

RandyBoy wrote:

No, we rode part of Backbone, from Encinal to Etz Meloy and back, IIRC.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:07 pm 
friendly kitty

Wedge wrote:
RandyBoy wrote:

No, we rode part of Backbone, from Encinal to Etz Meloy and back, IIRC.

My favorite section of all of Backbone is from on Kanan Rd, what we call 3rd tunnel,, past Encinal, past Mulholland to Etz Meloy, and back. Just really love the Kanan to Mulholland section in the creekbed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:30 pm 
yappin' kitty

The trail in the picture is one of the few ways to get up into the Tortolitas from my side of the hills. I live about 5 mins from the dirt to get up there, and ride often up there. The city and some of us have been building and inproving on the hiking trails there, and it is getting to be a very nice area. To the north side, there are now some very cool areas that people have been putting in, but not as techy as the trails up high where I mostly go. I can ride all day sometimes and not see anyone else up there. I have spent time doing various ride reports for my local website, and used to lead a series of rides for people to show them the area:

http://www.tucsonmtb.com/modules.php?na ... s&start=45

Here's one of my ride reports:

http://www.tucsonmtb.com/modules.php?na ... pic&t=5617

If anyone gets down this way I'd be happy to show you around!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:00 pm 
pussy

Wow, great looking trails Rockerc, those 24 miles would likely kill me. A very nice ride report, too. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:20 pm 
impatient kitty

RC, after reading your report I can see why a guide would be a good idea. With all of those intersections it could get confusing.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:46 pm 
yappin' kitty

The pictures don't really give a good idea of the quality of the trails. All the best bits are in between the intersections!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:41 pm 
Clown kitty

Rockerc wrote:
The pictures don't really give a good idea of the quality of the trails. All the best bits are in between the intersections!

In that pic above, your Crack-N-Fail looks like shit, Rocker. At least a scratched station, I'd guess.
One of the most unexpected OTB's I ever had was on the nice little campground loop up at Dead Horse State Park in Cottonwood.

The ranger there at the time, Randy Victory, was an aspiring pro-level racer, and he rode that loop in 20-something minutes on his Crack-N-Fail, he told me. At the time, he had a Scalpel. So how hard could that be?

He just didn't mention about the little 4 foot vertical drop that comes up out of nowhere on an otherwise fast descent. One of the 2 times in my life that I knocked one of my 8 Spinergy wheels out of true, and it was just my luck that the wrench at Bike 'N Bean really did not know how to safely true a Spinergy wheel, so he ended up breaking my two spare kevlar spokes.
I didn't even need a new spoke the time that wheel fell out of my friend's truck on I-8, those things are so tough..

The other impediment that works against me out there is the scenery. I find myself looking around too much. Sonoran desert habitat is downright magical-looking compared to my desert out in east SD county. Toss in the Red Rock country like it is, starting in Cottonwood, and I'm probably better off hiking on most of those trails.

Sedona has always been drop-dead beautiful to me, but their trails are often way out of my league no matter what kind of bike I'm riding.

One trail out there that I can handle is the northern half of the AZ trail. Where it is above 6,000 ft. elevation, the forest out there, complete with its elk herds, is not only beautiful, but I can actually keep the bike on the trail, both wheels, most of the time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:55 am 
yappin' kitty

The slow OTB's are almost inevitable here, and usually are not too destructive for bike or flesh. The worst ones, thankfully fewer, are when I am going at speed and for some small reason or other, momentary lapse in concentration, unseen edge, pissed off Rattler, the next thing you are heading at speed for rock/dirt/cactus/fangs... At that point it is pure chance what you will end up hitting, but I amaze myself sometimes at the contortions I can put my old body thru in mid-air when heading for rock/dirt/cactus/fangs. One time I landed on a big prickly pear on my back after somehow turning my body en route to save face. Bad thing was that the bigger spines went right into my C'back bladder. When I felt wet, I pulled it out and it looked like one of those cartoon water towers after being shot up by Deputy Dawg.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:39 pm 
Clown kitty

Rockerc wrote:
The slow OTB's are almost inevitable here, and usually are not too destructive for bike or flesh. The worst ones, thankfully fewer, are when I am going at speed and for some small reason or other, momentary lapse in concentration, unseen edge, pissed off Rattler, the next thing you are heading at speed for rock/dirt/cactus/fangs... At that point it is pure chance what you will end up hitting, but I amaze myself sometimes at the contortions I can put my old body thru in mid-air when heading for rock/dirt/cactus/fangs. One time I landed on a big prickly pear on my back after somehow turning my body en route to save face. Bad thing was that the bigger spines went right into my C'back bladder. When I felt wet, I pulled it out and it looked like one of those cartoon water towers after being shot up by Deputy Dawg.

I'm somewhat infamous around here for my uphill-OTB. Installing the Lyrik on the Joker has put an end to them on that bike, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:44 am 
yappin' kitty

Worst injury I ever had was when went OTB climbing a very steep little section here a few years back and landed on the upright end of my bars right in the center of my sternum. Cracked the ribs all around and I was in abject agony for weeks...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:01 am 
Clown kitty

Rockerc wrote:
Worst injury I ever had was when went OTB climbing a very steep little section here a few years back and landed on the upright end of my bars right in the center of my sternum. Cracked the ribs all around and I was in abject agony for weeks...

Sounds a lot like DJ's ski accident injury, only a bit less severe. You were lucky.
Now that I ride with platform pedals, my reflexive skills at rolling /falling from my martial art days can re-assert themselves.
Of course, I can always tuck and roll into a cactus....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:02 pm 
yappin' kitty

Yeah, I gave up on the clipless after a few of those "Oh shit!" moments... flats give me that extra split second that is so vital in sharpnasty environments...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:05 pm 
pussy

Flats FTW. If you do a bit of downhilling, mental switching between flats and clipless is mental. I switched a year+ ago and never looked back.