HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 10:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Gearing question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:27 pm 
friendly kitty

So it is the time of year I get to call my birthday time of year, and as such, I think my wife is going to green light a new frame to build up a new gravel/bikepacking/commuter bike with.... I think this because she had no problem with me buying the tires for it today.

So the plan is looking like I will be building a bike around a Specialized AWOL frame (also considering something like the Surly Straggler or Orge still). The bike will be running 29x2.0 Schwalbe Marathon Almotion HS 453 tires for more of its duties. I plan on building V1 of the bike up around parts I already own on my current commuter, so this will be a flat bar bike at first.

Gearing. Since the bike is being built to also run loaded and not be a rocket ship, I have thought about running a 3x up front for more climbing ability (for my fat ass). I am stuck between a road triple and an trekking triple. 50-39-30 vs 48-36-26. The cranksets will either be Shimano road 5703/4603 or offroad M590/M610. Insight on these choices? The trekking crankset is about half the price, so of course I kind of like it since V1 is a budget-ish build.

Post subject: Re: Gearing question
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:40 am 
friendly kitty

Rear cassette ranges?

What's the gearing on your current commuter, and are you happy with it? If not, which direction were you hoping to move?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:03 am 
friendly kitty

Current commuter is 44-33-22 old school mountain. For the rear end, I have both a 11-36 and 11-32 range cassette for now. The goal is to have a bike fast enough for commuting but also able to roll with a load for camping.

I have been rolling this around in my head and I think I have answered my own question. I think I have just WAY over thought the gearing. The numbers are so close. I already know that I don't run out of gears going faster with my road's 50-34. I think the lower numbered mountain set makes more sense in an all around bike for me. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:20 pm 
bad kitty!

The road crankset may have clearance issues on those frames.
Also the MTB cranksets seems to mostly be stiffer, so when grinding uphill I would prefer such.

As for the range, I would want to have a 26T for hauling off road duties.

Magura :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:01 pm 
big hucker

I don't remember the exact gearing on my Surly Trucker. I believe it's 44-34-24 / 11-28 (I can check for sure later).

Anyway, to me it's perfect. I have the low gearing I need when I'm hauling my panniers up the climbs and high gearing when I need to scoot along. I've only run out of high-gearing once when I exceeded 37mph on a downhill. At that point I just want to coast, anyway. :)