HK -The place for sore tacos

New members welcomed!
It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: How's the weather!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:32 am 
timid kitty

Hawgzilla wrote:
It's been a wet Winter here in not-so-sunny So Cal. I've had the irrigation system off for weeks now.

HOWEVER...

After this week, it looks like we are going to dry out and warm up for as far ahead as can be seen. I hope that's not the end of it. We need SO MUCH MORE still.

Weatherfreaks, please chime in. Are we already done with the wet stuff here on the Left Coast?

Hey now. Weatherfreak, not nice, but you can call me themeaty-orologist.

With solar activity low, like crazy low for years now. Twenty something days in a row now with no sun spots, the blocking, troughs and ridging has certainly picked up. And it's not set up and staying put, but moving around. You could get lucky and get some. A weak la nina is forming, but it will struggle to build because the same low solar activity slows down easterlies which allows heat to develop in that area of the ocean. I know i've been telling you for years that la nina means drier times for your neck of the woods, and it will come for the next few decades. That's because the pdo is now in a cool phase, which means la nina more often. Except solar activity is a wild card that no one can predict. If i were a gambling man id say the low solar activity will lessen the drought effects that la nina and a cool phase of the pdo will bring, but will over time cool the planet which will make those effects worse.
The long and short of it is...After a typical Jan thaw, looks like we will get back to the winter and the weather pattern we were having before the thaw.

Another interesting theory that some weather ppl follow is the "bath tub sloshing" theory. Where the weather on one side of the pole sloshes back and forth to the other side of the pole. It is certainly in full effect this winter. First asia in deep freeze, then usa, now europe. Have you heard about the crazy weather europe is having? Think it will swing back to this side of the pole, and the bulk of the winter for usa will come in feb and march this year.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:46 pm 
yappin' kitty

^ Nice go Meaty-O.
The Pineapple Express
Certainly miss the storms lining up in UT, and the unreal days of deep.

Here in the DC metro the mere mention of snow sends people scurrying like cockroaches.

Our multicultural population does not have a f'ing clue how to drive in snow. To risk it, even with a Subie is absofuckinglutely nuts, safer to hole up, or ride bike trails.

To those skiers/riders in the land of the deep, on the next day of face shots take one for me. I miss it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:17 pm 
timid kitty

The pic shows what is going on now. While the weather can change quick, and weather patterns a lil slower, ocean temps which set things up are slow movers. Solar activity's effects the slowest of all. So slow that sunspot activity may be on the up tick, while the weather is still being influenced be the previous decline.

The sharp line between warm and cool water that the pic displays, sets' up a battle ground where storms can form. If the jet stream is headed in the right direction, and there's no blocking between you and the storm, BAM, you get rain.

Attachments:
IMG_1593.PNG
IMG_1593.PNG [ 1.18 MiB | Viewed 5629 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:37 pm 
flirting kitty

Thanks Meat.

BTW, in today's hippy/millennial lingo, talk calling someone a "freak" is actually a compliment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:09 am 
timid kitty

Looks like you left coasters are getting some more. Southern sierra mountains at 200% snow pack, and more's a coming.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topsto ... 5Ugw?li=BB

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:38 pm 
lil' hucker

The weather here in Salt Lake has been somewhat schizophrenic lately although its been trending on the nice side of things for the past week or so. We've been in the high 60's to low to mid 70's and mainly sunny the past week. Today we have snow. :shock:
Its not a lot and its not sticking everywhere down on the valley floor but on the east bench where I work there's a couple inches and the mountains look like they got a fair amount. And we'll probably get more in the next day at least.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:58 pm 
friendly kitty

We had about 5" of rain over a week and a half. Have just recovered the blown down trees, and the seeps and puddles are just about gone. Now it's time for another five days of rain after being about perfect today.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:52 am 
friendly kitty

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:20 pm 
big hucker

Heat wave here on the North Coast. 12:22 on my deck.

Attachment:
IMG_1445.jpg
IMG_1445.jpg [ 328.17 KiB | Viewed 5024 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:39 pm 
lurkin' kitty

7 degrees. It's really cold.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15