HK -The place for sore tacos

New members welcomed!
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:47 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: New Tires (Auto)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:08 am 
chummy kitty

Finally put new shoes on the 4Runner today. Ended up getting GoodYear Wrangler Duratracs as Optimus suggested awhile back. They look awesome!

Shitty ipad pics

Post subject: Re: New Tires (Auto)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:29 am 
big hucker

Nice! I remember once thinking "damn, bike tires are as expensive as car tires!" Then I had to go buy new tires for our two vehicles and realized that car tires were way more expensive than I remembered (wifey usually takes care of the car tires ;) ).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:30 am 
big hucker

That's a damn fine garage, too. How tall are your ceilings?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:01 am 
friendly kitty

10 or 12 feet. Pretty sterile too. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:07 am 
chummy kitty

marpilli wrote:
That's a damn fine garage, too. How tall are your ceilings?

Haha, I think the doors are 12' and the ceilings are 13.5'. There are 3 RV sized spots with 3 non-RV sized cars parked in them, lol. I spend most my time out in the garage, love it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:18 am 
lil' hucker

Nice new skins!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:08 am 
flirting kitty

GS, those tires make your 4Runner look "rough and tumble".

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:13 pm 
big hucker

TrailMonkey wrote:
Finally put new shoes on the 4Runner today. Ended up getting GoodYear Wrangler Duratracs as Optimus suggested awhile back. They look awesome!

Shitty ipad pics

GS it's funny you brought this up. I was recently wondering what you ended up getting. I'm going to be getting some new skins for my Tacoma soon. I'll probably wait until the end of summer just to get my money's worth out of my old ones. :lol: A couple of weeks ago I was checking out those exact tires at Wal Mart, they had them on sale. I definitely want a more aggressive tire for off roading. And these ones look like they might be the ticket. Are you getting a lot of humming road noise from those? And what size did you end up getting? My Tacoma shares the same platform as your 4-Runner. I'd go as large as possible for the stock rims and no rubbing issues.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:11 pm 
friendly kitty

DJ, I got Michelin LTX A/T 2 tires on my Tacoma. They have served me well in rain and snow for a few years.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:00 pm 
big hucker

Kronk wrote:
DJ, I got Michelin LTX A/T 2 tires on my Tacoma. They have served me well in rain and snow for a few years.

I've been running the same set of Yokohama Geolandar since 2010'. I just checked my receipt and these tires have 64,000 miles on them. And they still have another at least 5K. to go. The best truck tire I've ever had as far as longevity and road comfort / handling. I would definitely go with another set but I want a more aggressive off road look, and now that I've moved from San Diego to Colorado they're seeing more off road time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:22 am 
chummy kitty

DIRTJUNKIE wrote:
GS it's funny you brought this up. I was recently wondering what you ended up getting. I'm going to be getting some new skins for my Tacoma soon. I'll probably wait until the end of summer just to get my money's worth out of my old ones. :lol: A couple of weeks ago I was checking out those exact tires at Wal Mart, they had them on sale. I definitely want a more aggressive tire for off roading. And these ones look like they might be the ticket. Are you getting a lot of humming road noise from those? And what size did you end up getting? My Tacoma shares the same platform as your 4-Runner. I'd go as large as possible for the stock rims and no rubbing issues.

Sorry for the late response, DJ.. Haven't been spending much time online lately. The humming isn't nearly as loud as I expected. They do make some noise but it's kinda cool and definitely not loud or annoying. I got P265/70R17 sized tires which is what my make/model shows it takes and I have not rubbed them yet. I've even tested out turning the wheel as far as it goes in forward/drive and reverse with no rub. They ride great, I can tell they are stiffer but they also feel more plush when going over bumps and through dips. Almost like they are less "bouncy." Haven't had a chance to take them off road yet but I will soon. They make my 4Runner look more like a truck than an urban grocery getter and since we actually take it off road I was willing to spend a little more for the extra knobbiness of them.
:auto-layrubber:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:33 am 
big hucker

TrailMonkey wrote:
DIRTJUNKIE wrote:

Sorry for the late response, DJ.. Haven't been spending much time online lately. The humming isn't nearly as loud as I expected. They do make some noise but it's kinda cool and definitely not loud or annoying. I got P265/70R17 sized tires which is what my make/model shows it takes and I have not rubbed them yet. I've even tested out turning the wheel as far as it goes in forward/drive and reverse with no rub. They ride great, I can tell they are stiffer but they also feel more plush when going over bumps and through dips. Almost like they are less "bouncy." Haven't had a chance to take them off road yet but I will soon. They make my 4Runner look more like a truck than an urban grocery getter and since we actually take it off road I was willing to spend a little more for the extra knobbiness of them.

Cool! It sounds like a great review so far. I'll put them on my short list, as a I said I'm going to wait a couple more months before pulling the trigger. And I'm open to all ideas anyone. I might check out a Tacoma website to get some more options. Those guys live and sleep Tacoma's. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:41 pm 
chummy kitty

I waited a few extra months to wear out my stock tires to get all the life out of them. Had we actually had a wet winter it would have been an easier choice to get new tires earlier but didn't need tread!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:12 am 
big hucker

TrailMonkey wrote:
DIRTJUNKIE wrote:

Guess what I bought today? Same tire / same size for my Tacoma. After I bought them I remembered we had this conversation but I couldn't remember which tires you opted for. What's your review after a years use?

I didn't notice until I got home that they put the balance weights on the outside of the rim. That's always been a pet peeve of mine. One more trip back to get them balanced with the weights to the inside.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:25 am 
big hucker

Nice shoes. You don't have a set of winter tires and summer tires?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:09 am 
big hucker

norton55 wrote:
Nice shoes. You don't have a set of winter tires and summer tires?

No, 4-wheel drive has saved me with more road like tires the last couple of years. This last winter I made it through with bald tires and 4-wheel drive. These are more aggressive and a cross between off road and road. They get excellent reviews in road noice for such an aggressive tread design.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:15 am 
lil' hucker

Whoa DJ, those are big tires and pictures. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:21 am 
big hucker

Mookie wrote:

Sorry about the large photos. I can never get them to upload in here because they are too big. So I host them on imgur and bring them over. They post then but are too big, I can't win.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:34 am 
lil' hucker

DIRTJUNKIE wrote:
Mookie wrote:

Sorry about the large photos. I can never get them to upload in here because they are too big. So I host them on imgur and bring them over. They post then but are too big, I can't win.

I've noticed that camera uploads onto Imgur sometimes come out really big on the forum. If I preview on the forum and see that they're too big then I'll go back to Imgur and reduce the size (which is a snap).

Those are some boss looking tires, definitely at home in CO. You'll have to head to the high country and give 'em a workout.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:37 am 
lil' hucker

Oh and I'm shopping for tires for my SUV right now. Dammit, this is going to put a damper on my bike stuff purchasing. :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:19 am 
big hucker

Mook, I've tried going back to Imigur to resize them and have yet to find that option over there. What am I missing?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:27 am 
lil' hucker

DJ, to resize a pic go to your Imgur image gallery and find the pic you want to resize. Then click on it and when you pass the cursor over the image a small "edit image" button in blue font will appear in the lower right corner. Click on it and you'll get a screen that looks something like this:

In the upper right corner you'll see a "resize box", which I circled in red. Make sure the lock proportions button is checked and start playing around with smaller numbers. When you type in a number be sure to hit Return to apply the proportion to the other dimension. To save the new size hit the Save button, which is above the image (not shown here). And that should do it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:36 pm 
big hucker

MY EYES............ :o :o

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:42 pm 
chummy kitty

DJ - The tires have been awesome after a year of good use. I have taken them on easy dirt roads, gnarly loose steeps, chunk, rain and snow. Last summer we took my 4Runner on some really fun trails up by mammoth and there were some sketchy loose steeps where the tires were noticeably better than what was on there before. Last month we were in Mammoth during some heavy snow and it took effort to get the tires to lose grip. Driving on the unplowed roads with ~1' of snow on them was a breeze (I was passing many cars/SUVs on the highway because I was able to drive at a decent speed safely while they were white knuckling their steering wheels.)

Very impressed so far with the performance and wear. I will never not pay the extra cash for the right tires for the job on any car from now on. The extra couple/few hundred bucks is well worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:31 pm 
big hucker

TrailMonkey wrote:
DJ - The tires have been awesome after a year of good use. I have taken them on easy dirt roads, gnarly loose steeps, chunk, rain and snow. Last summer we took my 4Runner on some really fun trails up by mammoth and there were some sketchy loose steeps where the tires were noticeably better than what was on there before. Last month we were in Mammoth during some heavy snow and it took effort to get the tires to lose grip. Driving on the unplowed roads with ~1' of snow on them was a breeze (I was passing many cars/SUVs on the highway because I was able to drive at a decent speed safely while they were white knuckling their steering wheels.)

Very impressed so far with the performance and wear. I will never not pay the extra cash for the right tires for the job on any car from now on. The extra couple/few hundred bucks is well worth it.

Sounds like the review I was hoping for. All the reviews I've read on these tires are 4-5 stars. Plus they just give the truck a more aggressive look.

Chicks dig them..;)

Mook, I'll give it another go on resizing the photos, thanks!