HK -The place for sore tacos

New members welcomed!
It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:03 pm 
friendly kitty

The wife and I are starting to talk about our vacation this year. Due to my career change, we will not be able to go on vacation during the off season this year (we usually go sometime in late Oct through Thanksgiving). Our last 3 vacations have been spent on Maui. We are not "lay on the beach and get shit face drunk" people... we have been to Maui so many times because it is the most beautiful place either of us have been. we spend our time there hiking and seeing things that tour buses don't take you. We usually end up hurting pretty badly on vacation from the hikes (or altitude sickness as I got a dose of last trip). Maui is out this year as we are setting up to spend a couple of weeks there in 2017.

So here it is. 2016. What are we going to do for vacation? I have been a lot more places than my wife because every family vacation she went on as a kid was a drive to Wichita, KS, to spend a week with their grandparents. My family vacations have always been road trips to see stuff (Mammoth Cave, Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountain NP, etc). If you were planning a road trip from the North Texas area, where would you go? No bikes because she is not as strong of a rider as I am (which is funnier to type than it should be). I want to go some where beautiful. Some where that makes you feel tiny. I want to take her to see things she hasn't seen.

My new job starts August 8. SO nothing after that date is possible (first year teaching 8th grade science? I will have no life).

Consider this an OT conversation.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:06 pm 
friendly kitty

I have posted these before, but here is some inspiration from our trips to Maui.

This is my mom and me... yes, still on Maui:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:08 pm 
friendly kitty

This is my wife and me on the west coast of Maui near Hana:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:42 pm 
big hucker

Boy, southside, that's a tough call. Not sure if you have the time to drive, but you might want to check out Anza Borrego Desert State Park and Cuyamaca State Park in south eastern San Diego California. You can go from the desert to 6000 foot alpine forest in a 2 hour drive. Lots of places to hike and explore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:53 am 
lil' hucker

You might want to consider southern CO - Durango, Crested Butte and the surrounding wilderness. There's a ton of super stellar hiking and mountain sight seeing. The only drawback is that it could be on the busy side in the summer. You could stay in one of the towns off the beaten path and save a few dollars and maybe avoid some of the crowds. Summer in the mountains can't be beat though.

Southern CO is one of my favorite places.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:34 am 
yappin' kitty

Maybe Sedona? My wife and I go up there quite often. We rent a cabin on Oak Creek at a place called Forest Houses Resort, which is very reasonably priced. There are other places tho of course, Junipine is one, and there are a few others if you search the web. Sedona is absolutely beautiful: Great hiking, awesome biking, stunning scenery. Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon are a spit away, it has everything in my mind. If you wanted to get one of those cabins tho you have to book well in advance as they go quick and are usually very booked up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:29 pm 
friendly kitty

Sedona may be a good fit. I really want to get her out to the Grand Canyon, or Yellowstone but that is a nightmare during the summer.

I have never been to the Durango side of CO either though, so I will have to do some reading and searching for what is around there. :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:43 pm 
big hucker

Rockerc, what's the Sedona weather like in May? My wife and I would like to take a trip somewhere without the kids and that Oak Creek area looks nice!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:50 pm 
pussy

Grand canyon - but the north rim.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:55 am 
flirting kitty

How long would you plan to be out on the road? If there is time, perhaps a long road trip to Death Valley and Lake Tahoe? You could stop at places like the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, and Las Vegas along the way.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:34 pm 
friendly kitty

Tahoe is something she brought up. I am going to be off for about a month before I change jobs, but we will be limited by her vacation time. Not sure of a total trip time right now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:08 am 
friendly kitty

It's funny how my wife works some times. We went from talking about the Grand Canyon, Tahoe and mountains to ironing out an 8 day round trip around Texas visiting state parks with good hiking and tubing. :) So that's it. We are doing a state based trip now. :) I can't say I don't love the idea because we are going to 3 parks I have never been and have been wanting to hike. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:11 am 
flirting kitty

southsideguy wrote:
It's funny how my wife works some times. We went from talking about the Grand Canyon, Tahoe and mountains to ironing out an 8 day round trip around Texas visiting state parks with good hiking and tubing. :) So that's it. We are doing a state based trip now. :) I can't say I don't love the idea because we are going to 3 parks I have never been and have been wanting to hike. :D

Well there you have it. Sounds like fun and all within your home state. We will need lots of pics shared here from the trip when it happens.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:51 am 
yappin' kitty

marpilli wrote:
Rockerc, what's the Sedona weather like in May? My wife and I would like to take a trip somewhere without the kids and that Oak Creek area looks nice!

May is a great time up there Marp. Chilly at night, but usually really nice during the days. Perfect for biking and hiking :D It's a real nice break from the heat down here at that time of year, and Oak Creek is very special...