HK -The place for sore tacos

New members welcomed!
It is currently Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: April Fools...
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:56 pm 
yappin' kitty

Anyone had any good pranks today? I got a nice monthly email from the AZ Trail Association, and I was a little taken aback that a team of extreme pogo stickers were attempting the 800 miles thru the summer, and that made me shake my head in awe. The next item was about a mysterious donor giving millions to build a link from near Flagstaff to a new Gateway community: Las Vegas, and we should think about voting for him in November... that made me raise my eyebrows. The third item was talking about a company, Asphalt somethingorother being hired to blacktop over long portions of the trail... as I slapped my head in horror, I saw the date...

Not long after that, I saw another article about the Dalai Llama losing his marbles in a Starbucks line and getting arrested. Not so subtle...

Post subject: Re: April Fools...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:48 am 
timid kitty

Think you'r not going to get a response around here until April 2nd, maybe third.

April fools!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:32 pm 
lil' hucker

The folks in my area don't seem to have much of a sense of humor, no hijinks dammit. I can always go for a good prank.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:05 am 
big hucker

Rockerc, there was nothing like that around here. Our local bike association would have been sent into a tizzy! :lol:

If you don't mind posting a link to any of those articles, I'd like to modify them for the Dallas area and save them for next April 1st. :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:10 pm 
lil' hucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:28 am 
yappin' kitty

Since the messgae is inmy email I don't have a link , but here's the text copied and pasted...

Green Line

Extreme Pogo Team Attempts the AZT
Trail Photo

Team Extreme Pogo Sport recently announced their plans to set the world record for traveling the entire length of the Arizona National Scenic Trail on pogo sticks. Extreme pogo (xpogo) has been growing in popularity since 1999, with athletes attempting greater feats of skill and stamina. The AZT may be the most arduous test the Team has yet faced.

"We came up with the idea during last year's Pogopalooza in Philadelphia," said Team Captain Min-Jun Kim, from South Korea. "The sport of xpogo has seen the pogo stick evolve from a kid's toy to an athlete's vehicle capable of traveling great distances over extreme terrain. After we got tired of jumping over obstacles and sprinting on asphalt we decided to set our sights on something great. Once I saw the Grand Canyon, the idea was hatched," he said.

Team Extreme Pogo Sport is made up of an international team of xpogo champions, and their four most talented endurance athletes will hit the trail starting on October 29, 2016. Representing Slovenia, South Korea, Germany and Australia, the Team expects to cover the 800 miles in less than three weeks. Their custom xpogo sticks have been manufactured with the AZT in mind, complete with a specialized rubber "shoe" that leaves a print much like that of a size 7 boot.

Since "mechanized transport" is not allowed in wilderness areas, the team will simply put the xpogos on their back and run through these segments. "Although a fastest known time for the AZT has not yet been established on pogo sticks, we hope to set a high bar on this first attempt," said Kim.

Their journey will be documented with helmet-mounted cameras and uploaded daily, so you can bounce along the AZT with these incredible athletes between Utah and Mexico.

Green Line

New Connector Trail
Trail Photo

Building on the success of the Legends of Superior Trail (LOST), the ATA is excited to begin construction on the Las Vegas Connector Trail this summer. Once completed, the trail will provide a direct link to the new gateway community of Las Vegas, Nevada. The 270-mile trail will include breathtaking scenery through the Kaibab National Forest, Red Rock National Park and Lake Mead on its way to the Entertainment Capital of the World.

"We are so excited to include Las Vegas in our gateway community program," said Sirena Dufault, the ATA's Gateway Community Liaison. "Now, travelers can enjoy the luxury resorts and entertainment that Las Vegas has to offer before, during or after their Arizona Trail experience. It will add a bit more time to thru-hikers' itineraries, but the rewards will be well worth it!" she said.

The connector trail will begin near Arizona Snowbowl ski resort just outside Flagstaff and will take AZT travelers to a soon-to-be-announced high rise hotel near the Las Vegas Strip. Project expenses for the Las Vegas Connector Trail are estimated at just under $5.7 million, and are being completely underwritten by an anonymous donor who is interested in funneling some of the economic impact of the Arizona Trail into Las Vegas.

"Although we can't say who the generous donor is who is making this all possible, let's just say he is trying to make America great again," said Matthew Nelson, Executive Director of the ATA. "If you care about trails, you might consider voting for this donor in November."

Green Line

Arizona Trail Paving Project
Trail Photo

Due to intense lobbying efforts from influential members of the Asphalt Recreation Alliance, the Comprehensive Plan being developed by federal agencies and the Arizona Trail Association will include provisions for paving the dirt tread of the Arizona National Scenic Trail. The dirt segments that have defined the AZT will soon be smooth black ribbons of asphalt, allowing more non-motorized recreationalists to enjoy the Arizona Trail.

A statement from the Asphalt Recreation Alliance praised the new look and feel for the Arizona Trail: "Once paved, the AZT will appeal to road cyclists, roller bladers, skateboarders, moms pushing strollers, and other members of our constituency. This bold decision will make the Arizona Trail more accessible to all, and will set an important precedent for other National Scenic Trails."

Despite the paradigm shift in the trail user's experience, the ATA is committed to keeping the Arizona National Scenic Trail non-motorized. "We recognize that some trail users may get grumpy once they see their favorite segments of trail paved," said Chance McAdam, the ATA's new Director of Asphalt Projects. "That's why we have decided to keep a token segment of the AZT dirt – the 1.9 miles between the Mexico border and Montezuma Pass."

For anyone who prefers hiking and riding on the dirt of the Arizona Trail, we encourage you to get out there and enjoy it before the paving project begins in August. Volunteers are being sought to help haul materials into the remote wilderness areas of the AZT where heavy machinery is not allowed. "The Mazatzal, Superstition Mountain and Four Peaks Wilderness areas may present some of the biggest challenges when it comes to paving," said McAdam, "but we'll get 'er done."

Green Line

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:25 pm 
lil' hucker

OK.....that was one funny-ass April Fool's post, Rocker!

We don't allow April Fool's stuff here in 'Merica's Finest City. Not unless it features some kinda truck with really big tires.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:34 am 
big hucker

Mookie wrote:
The folks in my area don't seem to have much of a sense of humor, no hijinks dammit. I can always go for a good prank.

Maybe that was the prank.

Things that make you go hmmmm.