HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:27 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:38 am 
friendly kitty

I haven't used the camera in any other ways than on my bikes' handlebars, via the large tube mount. Come winter, I'll try it on a few different mounts while skiing/snowboarding. I'm interested in the shoulder mount, but that gets in the way of my Camelbak. Anyone know if there's a mount available for a backpack strap?

Anyways, here's the rest of my write-up, copied directly from a few posts in the OC, if you've already read that.

I got a Garmin Virb Elite a few months ago. It was on sale so it was the same price as the standard Virb. It's pretty sweet seeing all the GPS data on the screen, real-time with the video. That, and the non-boxy shape, are why I bought it instead of a GoPro. I've been using the large round tube mount on my handlebar and it works great. Sturdy and easily adjustable. The camera also comes with an adapter so that you can use it with any GoPro/GoPro-compatible third-party mounts. It's waterproof/dustproof/etc right out of the box, so you don't need an extra case like GoPro/Sony to be able to use it anywhere outdoors. A dive case is available if you're submerging it, but it's supposed to be fine for skiing and stuff without the dive case. I haven't used it while skiing though. Gimme a few months for that one.

i've been considering a virb as well. although i've done some research on it i have few questions for an actual real world user: how is battery life? how is the image stabilization? how smooth is it on rough terrain? how is the HD mode? how many minutes of footage can you shoot on one card? what is the process of showing the gps data on the video?

The battery is tricky, and that's basically the one problem that I've had with it. Garmin says the battery life is ~2.5 hours, and it's reached that exactly once while riding. For some reason, the battery doesn't always accept a charge, but that can be remedied by re-installing the battery. Not optimal, but not a deal-breaker either. Sometimes the camera thinks the battery is dead and shuts down mid-ride, but then I'll turn it back on and it still has half a battery left.

As for the other questions: it can take up to a 64gb micro SD card, so that's plenty for the life of the battery. Just out of habit, I remove videos from the card after importing them to my computer.

GPS data is shown as a bunch of mini graphics superimposed on the actual video. Lots of different options, which are all easily configured in Virb Edit: lateral Gs, altitude, speed, a map, a few others I believe, and input from any other ANT+ device that you pair with it (temp, HR, power, etc). I paired my HR monitor with it, but I haven't yet figured out how to show that on the video. Haven't spent much time mucking around with the Virb Edit software though.

As to the video: my computer has had a really hard time playing videos so I haven't been able to see much in the way of playback. But on 1080p, the image is sharp and true. It has some other settings, like time lapse and slow-mo, but I haven't messed around with those.

The camera has been through a few thunderstorms, and lots of dust otherwise on the bike, and it's still working just great. One rainstorm in particular threw up a lot of crap from the road while I was on my bike, and I just rinsed off the camera and the rest of the bike with the garden hose when I got home. Looking bright and shiny as new.

Edit: Here's a screenshot from one of my recent rides. GPS data gives compass heading, speed, altitude, distance, time, and map. I think that's the Garmin-recommended setting for cycling videos.

Attachments:
Virb screenshot.png
Virb screenshot.png [ 1.27 MiB | Viewed 2909 times ]