the place for sore tacos
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:46 am 
lil' hucker

Sti wrote:
DIRTJUNKIE wrote:
Sti wrote:
:dance: I just got me a new, longer dropper.

Congrats! And which one did you drop trou for?

I chose the Bike Yoke Revive as I have heard good things about them, and they have the built-in air bleed valve which, IMHO, is an absolutely essential feature. So far so good!

Hmmm..I’ve never heard of that one. So many on the market these days, I’ll have to check them out and the reviews. I’ve had my eyes on the FOX dropper myself.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 7:43 pm 
pussy

The Transfer is a good dropper but mine has just developed a bit of sagging and they are not serviceable at home.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:36 pm 
lil' hucker

I'm just about to put another dropper on on one of my bikes, the 29er this time. It's another Thomson, too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:54 pm 
bad kitty!

How are the Thomson droppers holding up?

Magura :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:41 am 
lil' hucker

Mine are holding up. Both bikes are older, and have 27.2 seat tubes, so although I know a few other manuf.'s make them I just stuck with the Thompsons, which I've always used in pre-dropper days, too.

The 29er, with just 120 mm travel, really needs the dropper just as much as the Joker, for different reasons. Steep drops on the 29er really make you feel like your'e WAAAAAY up there; I'm hoping the dropper will dial that
back a lot.
I fall over enough as it is with my balance going.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:46 am 
friendly kitty

I have two Thomson posts. One I've had 4 years and the other for 3. I'm a heavy guy and have not had any problems with either of them, and they get as much use as the shifter does. I also have a bad knee and use the post higher than normal to compensate for not being able to stand and climb. Most every time I stop I put the seat down so both feet are on the ground. I should learn to get off on the left to avoid the knee issue, but haven't worked on creating that habit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:13 am 
lil' hucker

Kronk wrote:
I have two Thomson posts. One I've had 4 years and the other for 3. I'm a heavy guy and have not had any problems with either of them, and they get as much use as the shifter does. I also have a bad knee and use the post higher than normal to compensate for not being able to stand and climb. Most every time I stop I put the seat down so both feet are on the ground. I should learn to get off on the left to avoid the knee issue, but haven't worked on creating that habit.

Good to hear, I’ve always been impressed with Thomson attention to craftsmanship with all their components.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:14 pm 
friendly kitty

I have been working part time at a bike shop and the things that puts people off Thomson posts is they aren't all black first and the price second.
I will add that I got a new bike a year ago with a Reverb. It (and all of the others I have checked) had more side play than mine do even being a few years old and haven't been for service yet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:40 pm 
lil' hucker

Kronk, if I were you, knowing what I know now, I would definitely make a habit of getting off on the L. foot. It'll keep your hip mobilized, something hips tend to lose when the knee on their side is hurt. And thank you for your input. It was hard to dish out the $$$ for the Thompsons, but I was hopeful that their rep. with me would be of use.

DJ, I still use Thompson for my stems and my rigid seat posts. That's how I feel about the company.
If only ALL components makers were as trusty...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:06 am 
friendly kitty

I will work on the left side dismounts.

Ray Dolor wrote:
DJ, I still use Thompson for my stems and my rigid seat posts. That's how I feel about the company.
If only ALL components makers were as trusty...

Remember Kooka cranks and Ringle Moby posts? Lots of failures there but they looked good!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:07 am 
bad kitty!

Kooka cranks failed left and right, but Moby posts I've never seen fail for no good reason?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:51 pm 
lil' hucker

I remember some guy trying to sell me a Kooka crankset a while back that was all kinds colors. Then he told me it was a 180. Referring to the wild color scheme he said, "c'mon, man, everybody's got a little 'Messican in them. I know you like 'em." Which I did not. No sale.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:04 pm 
bad kitty!

Well, he had it backwards.
Most guys have been a little in a Messican.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:11 pm 
lil' hucker

Just for clarification, this fellow was a white supremacist. I don't like his kind.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:48 pm 
bad kitty!

Thought that kind of clowns were extinct?

Magura :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:47 am 
friendly kitty

Magura wrote:
Kooka cranks failed left and right, but Moby posts I've never seen fail for no good reason?

Around here I saw a few posts that had broken near the top. Only one broke off completely.

Thinking of broken posts...we have had two Reverbs out of about 18 over the past year bend. They were on large and X large rentals, and the bends were slight enough that the return was just really slow.
Even the lower end KS posts seem to do OK. I think two customers had issues over the past couple of years. The Race Face posts need the air pressure at the maximum to work consistently. Haven't had a Thomson failure come in, but one rider said he had problems 3 times, with the post supposedly having been replaced every time. I want to check out a Revive post from Bike Yoke, but I will have to come across someone riding who has one since the shop is closing late October or November.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:01 pm 
lil' hucker

Just got the post installed on my 29er, and with it slammed down the bike sits like a DH bike. I couldn't be more pleased
Now, lets' see if it lowers my crash rate, or changes it in any way. I do not intend to change my riding style whatsoever.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:18 pm 
pussy

I really like the Bikeyoke Revive that replaced my ailing Transfer. It comes with built-in bleeding valve which is totally awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:22 am 
lil' hucker

I did a night ride from my house tonight...my usual route, over to the trails of Florida Canyon. When I say this vestibular condition, is killing my sense of balance, I aint kidding. The dropper on the 29er works wonders.....when I sit on the seat with it slammed, it feels like I'm IN the bike, like its' a DH bike. It's great. I'm slowly regaining my strength, cardio, night confidence, and ,maybe even some balance, too.
The Joker and the 29er feel like different bikes to me, now.