HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:27 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:04 pm 
lil' hucker

My granddaughter as taken a liking to spiders and spider YouTube vids so I have cringed to that video before. I won’t crush any critter but if I had a gun at my head and had to step on the spider or the wasp the wasp would be toast. No contest

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:18 am 
big hucker

MiniTrail wrote:
My granddaughter as taken a liking to spiders and spider YouTube vids so I have cringed to that video before. I won’t crush any critter but if I had a gun at my head and had to step on the spider or the wasp the wasp would be toast. No contest

A Tarantula is harmless to humans. Very weak venom, the Tarantula Hawk wasp however will ruin your day. I’ve been stung by Bald Face Hornets, Paper Wasps, honey bees, yellow jackets and bumble bees. Non even came closer to the pain I felt from the sting of a Tarantula Hawk, wasp. Sent me straight to the ground. My girlfriend took me to the ER. I cried like a baby. I’ve never gone to the ER for any of those other stings. So if you are ever in that predicament, choose the spider to stomp on. ;)

Tarantula Hawk is ranked #2 of the most painful stings to humans.

https://www.westernexterminator.com/was ... ct-stings/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:47 pm 
big hucker

Check this out, I got another video of one yesterday in the same area. This time at the end of the video you can see how long their nectar tube is.

Looks like the tube is about 3-4” long.

Filmed in slowwwwwww motion.

Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE on Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:04 pm 
bad kitty!

It's amazing from an engineering point of view, that you can get enough energy out of those small amounts of nectar, to keep such a contraption off the ground.
A human can barely keep a plane in the sky, let alone a helicopter, and that's no matter what they get fueled with.

Magura :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:58 pm 
lil' hucker

Makes sense. Keeps the beating wings away from the plant while feeding.

Cool stuff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:06 pm 
big hucker

MiniTrail wrote:
Makes sense. Keeps the beating wings away from the plant while feeding.

Cool stuff

Yep, should have just gave him a beak. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:31 pm 
big hucker

Flyin_W wrote:
Current predator news, and assertions of killing a defenseless 30-40# cub is troubling. Based on an experience while backcountry skiing in the Wasatch, I believe the trail runner.

Like some local skiers, I kept a secret stash where fresh pow can last for days/weeks. At it's top was a small hidden silver mine, and one day armed with a BIC lighter I decided to explore. Was inside nearly 8' when a distinct growl caused me to stop, immediately I backed out, and luckily nothing pursued. A couple weeks later I returned to lay down some fresh turns. While skinning up the right side I saw tracks - big ones, and atop the slope near the mine opening from about 100' away I saw this..

:shock: :o Lynx / Bobcat have enormous feet, yet weigh only 20-40#.
After eyeballing me, he/she quickly retreated into the safety of the mine. Felt great to learn what lives inside the mine, and caused me to leave racing stripes in my shorts.

Inside of the mine, I would've become dinner. Outside armed with ski poles it would've inflicted serious damage. Feel fortunate retreat was chosen, and to be left with only a prime memory, and a pair of soiled briefs. ;) :oops:

FW, I never did ask you. Did you take that photo? Awesome shot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:12 am 
yappin' kitty

DJ, not my photo.
Lots of great posts to catch up on. Have not fallen into big hole, or yet in need of white courtesy phone..

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:03 am 
big hucker

Flyin_W wrote:
Have not fallen into big hole, or yet in need of white courtesy phone..

Lol
Good to hear.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:48 am 
big hucker

This bull almost killed a blind girl yesterday moments after these photos were taken. He was grazing and tourists were walking by him on the sidewalk just 20' from him. I was warning people to get back. All of a sudden a 15 year old blind girl came along swinging her stick. The elk lifted his head and looked at her. I knew it wasn't good. Suddenly he lowered his head and charged. He stopped just a FOOT from her. He backed up and did it again. In the meantime people were screaming at her. I rushed up to distract the elk. Which was successful. He turned towards me then calmed down. Upon the second charge the girl sensed a presence and turned and walked out into traffic. A guy that must have been with her but far ahead of her ran over and guided her down the sidewalk. In the meantime I was distracting the bull away. He calmed down and started grazing again. One of the scariest things I've ever experienced.

Short clip just prior to attack showing how close people were walking right by him.

She must have just came out of the Library. As I ran up to distract the elk she sensing a presence to her right turned and started to walk out into traffic. A man came rushing up to her and guided her back onto the sidewalk and away. I was too busy trying not to get charged myself to see if they were actually together. There was a huge crowd that she disappeared into. Plus all the female and calf elk [herd] were behind where I was filming and where the big crowd was gathered. This happened in front of the police station / library a joined. Minutes after it all happened a cop came cruising in and dispersed the crowd. I told him what just happened and he basically ignored me and continued on getting people away.

More to this story. A herd of elk took refuge in a park in the middle of town all day. One huge bull amongst a herd of cows and calf’s. His herd, he earned from fighting in the previous month during the rut. They were bedded down all day long. Tourist surrounding them taking photos. About three hours after first seeing this I was returning to my truck which was parked along side of the park the elk were in. They were still all laying down. I got in my truck and all of a sudden the large bull stood up and chased a small bull away. That bull ran out into traffic. I laughed and shrugged it off. Next thing I see this large bull making a bee line down the main drag. I knew something was up. They never rush like that unless there’s another large bull in the area. In hopes of catching the two fighting I got out of my truck and ran down the road a half a block, sure enough another huge bull was there. The herd of cows and calf’s followed the big bull over there. The herd bull startled the other large bull and chased him off aways. Content all was ok they both started grazing. The bull that attacked the blind girl was the intruder. Meanwhile the larger [both were huge] herd bull was grazing along the front of the Police Station with the rest of the herd gathering around him.

Attachments:
File comment: Meanwhile the other large bull [the intruder] that was chased away starts grazing near the sidewalk. Tourists walking by and then the blind girl walks by and he attacks,
7B17F358-D021-4DFA-9AA9-1335006BADF8.jpeg
7B17F358-D021-4DFA-9AA9-1335006BADF8.jpeg [ 97.33 KiB | Viewed 322 times ]
File comment: The herd bull after chasing the other large bull away hanging with his herd in front of the Police Station. Still a bit agitated and bugling to warn the other to stay away from his herd.
753BA04F-4E08-4F7D-8958-5B6D24E5DB2C.jpeg
753BA04F-4E08-4F7D-8958-5B6D24E5DB2C.jpeg [ 75.98 KiB | Viewed 323 times ]
File comment: The herd bull suddenly stands up and chases a small bull out into traffic. Stops and bugles [seen in photo] then suddenly makes a bee line to the left in front of the police station. Going after the other large bull that later attacked the girl.
EED6EBB0-52EA-47D4-96E4-00B0EA6A54C7.jpeg
EED6EBB0-52EA-47D4-96E4-00B0EA6A54C7.jpeg [ 95.48 KiB | Viewed 323 times ]
File comment: Herd laying in park all day in front of the Police Station. The large herd bull off in the distance. Many cows and calf’s and a couple young bulls in the herd.
8F6A2273-4CB4-4512-9CD0-C725AD1D4605.jpeg
8F6A2273-4CB4-4512-9CD0-C725AD1D4605.jpeg [ 92.34 KiB | Viewed 323 times ]

Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE on Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:18 am, edited 7 times in total.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:02 am 
big hucker

Sorry about the confusion up there ^. Hopefully you can piece together how it happened. Hard posting photos on here and have them lined up in order with the correct caption under the photo.

Bottom photo being the beginning of the scenario and working up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:42 am 
bad kitty!

You lead a somewhat too interesting life DJ.

Magura :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:46 pm 
big hucker

Awesome, thanks for sharing. Good heads up on the blind girl. She's lucky you were there and aware of the situation. Is that Estes Park or Fort Collins? 8-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:20 pm 
big hucker

Estes Park, it happened so quick. I was watching the other bull to my left then turned to look at the one near the sidewalk. Timing was such that the blind girl was coming towards me and was just passing the Elk. The bull lifted his head from grazing and without hesitation dropped his head and false charged her. Then he did it again, I was stunned at how close his antlers came. They seemed to wrap around her body but he stopped with just inches of any of the tines making contact. After the first charge I was running that direction when he then did it again, that’s when I ran to within 15’ if him and was waving my arms and yelling. It distracted him off the girl. She had turned into traffic. Here I am now out in the open [the danger zone] with an agitated beast looking at me. I froze and he stared then luckily he mellowed out and started grazing again. Luckily the other guy ran over and pulled the blind girl out of the street and guided her away. Sorry to repeat myself but damn that was a scary thing to see. I thought for sure she was about to meet her demise. It’s obvious her waving her stick was what set him off.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:26 pm 
big hucker

You're her hero........ :clap:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:39 pm 
big hucker

norton55 wrote:
You're her hero........ :clap:

And she never even knew it. I’ve been searching the Net for a video of it. There was so many people that witnessed it I am hoping someone filmed it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:34 pm 
big hucker

Bobcat running through my sisters back yard this morning. She lives about a mile from me. Pretty common sight by her. Their property is at the end of a cul de sac that is basically open land around it. The neighbor who is an ex Fish and Game said he’s sure there is a den of Bobcats just off the property. Saw cubs this past summer. The one in this photo to me looks pretty big. Probably a male Tom, amazing colors. I don’t recall ever seeing one with such bright markings.

Attachments:
2A160108-4214-4E22-A289-AF6FC66F9008.jpeg
2A160108-4214-4E22-A289-AF6FC66F9008.jpeg [ 129.59 KiB | Viewed 270 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:40 pm 
bad kitty!

Nice pet!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:01 pm 
lil' hucker

I’d hate to have litter box duty on that pet. Cat piss from hell odor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:21 pm 
bad kitty!

I'd probably try to train it to potty outdoors!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:08 am 
big hucker

That's a real huckingkitty. 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:27 pm 
yappin' kitty

Exciting pics, thanks for posting. Glad to hear you're okay and neither of you became Elk shishkebab.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:14 pm 
big hucker

This is cool.
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-49690173

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:08 pm 
lil' hucker

Worth the click for the first shot alone

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8