HK

the place for sore tacos
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Manitou to Ibis Mojo
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:13 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Magura wrote:
Due to new toys being cluttered by a few that has a lot more than the average couple of bikes, here's the collectors corner.

The rules are simple:

1) You can maximum post one bike per week.
2) New additions are to be made on Fridays.
3) All kinds of bikes are welcome
4) No garage queens
7) The rules will be enforced randomly and unfairly, by yours truly.

Magura :mrgreen:

Hi Magura,
Do not know how to make a new post so I try this way:

I believe you know a lot about many things so do you think that a Manitou Swinger 4-Way Air from 2004 will fit the first version of a Mojo 2006-2007-2008-2009?
If you know that the shock will fit the bike please let me know as then I will order a rebuilt kit for the shock before I receive the shock, the rebuilt kit could be sold and kits may be hard to find for so old shocks.
I got tired of sending the Fox RP23 to Fox to have it serviced when damping disappeared and the bike started wobbling, so I bought a RockShox RT3, but silly me: the same thing happened with that. Not as early in the life of the shock but still annoying and that is also a shock not really easily serviceable where I live.
So I ordered a Swinger 4-way air as I heard it is easily serviceable for a do it yourself minded guy.
Still waiting for the shock though and not really sure how easy it will be to get it installed but with 200x50 / 7.875x2 it is right size so it should be possible I think (otherwise I will soon have a new never used shock for sale).
Problems with the RP23 and the RT3 are that they lost oil and stopped damping and started jumping like bouncing balls. They did not lose air but there was no damping in them. It happened so gradually that did not really notice it until I found oil on the frame and knew something was wrong and went to a bike shop where they told me that the shock need to be rebuilt and they could not do it, no other bike shop where I live and have asked would do it either. I should send it to factory. Price for shipping and rebuilding was silly but I still did it. While waiting for the Fox to come back I bought the RockShox and in the beginning it was fine.
If you say that I should expect that shocks need service and rebuilding now and then and that I should be happy with the shocks as long as they were functioning I agree. What I am unhappy about is that the silly things don’t last longer. Shocks in cars last 20 years and they are damping a lot heavier loads.
I never had problems with the Manitou Black 80-100mm fork and also no problems with the shock (which I do not remember the manufacturer of) on my first full suspension bike a Scott Strike Team HMF that was my ride from 2003 till somebody needed it more than I and stole it from my garage in 2010 when I bought the Ibis Mojo. At a good price since new models were available.
Thank you
john

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:24 pm 
big hucker

Welcome John.
Did you try looking at Marpili's post's in the shock forum?

Post subject: Re: Manitou to Ibis Mojo
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:10 am 
bad kitty!

Welcome John,

I have split your question from the show-off thread.

Depending how harsh your riding conditions are, a shock may need an annual service. So if you get less than a years worth of service life, you've had bad luck.

The old Swinger 4 way shocks, are fine pieces of engineering.
As I recall, the old Mojo had some platform requirements to work proper, so it will probably match the shock.
To rebuild a shock, is never a walk in the park. To rebuild a fox shock simply stinks though, as spares are hard to find, and proper info even harder to find.

Magura :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:21 pm 
lurkin' kitty

norton55 wrote:
Welcome John.
Did you try looking at Marpili's post's in the shock forum?

Yes

it is impressive what some guys are able to do.

No problem for me though as I will sell the FOX RP23 which is fixed on factory and the Monarch RT3 that need service as the Manitou has shown me that it is so much better than the 2 other shocks so they will not come back on my bike. Have ordered a complete seal kit for the Swinger 4-way air so when it is worn out (if ever) the manual show that fixing that shock should be possible even for me.
Never have I tried so smooth a ride before on any bike. All bumps are absorbed and it has still not bottomed out.

Last edited by las-palmas mojo on Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:30 pm 
lurkin' kitty

Magura wrote:
Welcome John,

I have split your question from the show-off thread.

Depending how harsh your riding conditions are, a shock may need an annual service. So if you get less than a years worth of service life, you've had bad luck.

The old Swinger 4 way shocks, are fine pieces of engineering.
As I recall, the old Mojo had some platform requirements to work proper, so it will probably match the shock.
To rebuild a shock, is never a walk in the park. To rebuild a fox shock simply stinks though, as spares are hard to find, and proper info even harder to find.

Magura :)

Thank you.

How do I put pictures in here?

Riding conditions here are not so bad, lava, rocks, dried out riverbeds. Just good for a Mojo. My Magura fork is now 7 years old and have never needed service so I think that FOX and RockShocks are just overrated when they last less than 2 years. The parts are on the same bike so must have taken same abuse or treatment. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:38 pm 
lil' hucker

Use the full editor option

Attachment:
7D51240D-ED1B-4803-BF01-132E255D877E.jpeg
7D51240D-ED1B-4803-BF01-132E255D877E.jpeg [ 241.33 KiB | Viewed 135 times ]

Choose the file then add the file

Attachment:
9250B4FA-9BF9-4A9B-8B68-00C68294D510.jpeg
9250B4FA-9BF9-4A9B-8B68-00C68294D510.jpeg [ 284.55 KiB | Viewed 135 times ]

Then click the place inline button to put it where you want in the post

Attachment:
591A422D-5D10-4C9B-8C0D-310145BDA47D.jpeg
591A422D-5D10-4C9B-8C0D-310145BDA47D.jpeg [ 284.86 KiB | Viewed 135 times ]

Be advised the size limitation can be a hassle. Just resize your image before upload

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:05 pm 
lil' hucker

And there’s a test forum to muck around in!

viewforum.php?f=18