HK -The place for sore tacos

New members welcomed!
It is currently Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:05 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299  Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:16 pm 
big hucker

So I have a half day of work today. Off at 10:30, beautiful 55° day and perfect for riding. I looked on the internet at my local trails. Both my local trail systems are still closed due to muddy conditions. Thinking they may have not updated the site I called the open space number. Sure enough they are still closed, screw it, I went back to work for some over time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:20 pm 
flirting kitty

DIRTJUNKIE wrote:
So I have a half day of work today. Off at 10:30, beautiful 55° day and perfect for riding. I looked on the internet at my local trails. Both my local trail systems are still closed due to muddy conditions. Thinking they may have not updated the site I called the open space number. Sure enough they are still closed, screw it, I went back to work for some over time.

Atta boy. A making few extra bucks to put toward that new Intense! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:37 am 
big hucker

Hawgzilla wrote:
DIRTJUNKIE wrote:

Atta boy. A making few extra bucks to put toward that new Intense! :D

That’s how rumors get spread, :naughty:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:43 pm 
flirting kitty

The desert rides continue... Why? Because it's the only way to escape the rains!

I met a few buds out in Cathedral City to do a loop of some of the awesome trails that start where the PCE ends. We climbed from the bottom and did Hahn/Wildhorse/Goat trails/Superman. The climb was about 4 miles up a fire road of the most brutally steep crap I have experienced in a long time. I pushed at least 25% of the climb. It kicked my ass royally and I considered giving up a few times. But I carried on. My buds kept reminding me that the pain would be nicely rewarded and that is what kept me going. I wasn't feeling well at when I woke up that morning. I just could not catch my breath. We finally reached the tractor which where all of the ways back down intersect. This would be my first roll through the series of trails that we were doing. And WOW, more incredible goodness! The PCE area just keeps delivering the goods!

By the time we were about half way through the ride, I could see that the guys were starting to get tired. But I was coming alive. Weird. I finished strong and the guys acknowledged it.

17.42 miles
3130' gain
1456 calories

VIDEOS:
https://vimeo.com/397894869
https://vimeo.com/397997949

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:19 am 
big hucker

Nice, I love how clear it is. 8-)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:19 am 
bikini loving kitty!

Love everything about that cam but the price. Not willing to part with that kind of coin for one anytime soon.

I did share my affection for it with the missus though :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:54 pm 
flirting kitty

MiniTrail wrote:
Love everything about that cam but the price. Not willing to part with that kind of coin for one anytime soon.

I did share my affection for it with the missus though :)

In today's market prices, $300-$400 (including accessories) is par for the course. Gopro periodically offers a $100 rebate toward the purchase of a new camera if you send them your old POV camera, regardless of the make, model, or if it even works. And, with the release of the Hero 8 models, the Hero 7 (I have the Hero 7 BLACK) is slowly dropping in price if you are into buying it from somewhere like eBay or Amazon. The lower models (White and Silver) also have great clarity but not excellent stabilization like the Black model has.

I am "only" recording in 1440P. I could record in 4K and watching it would be like being there in person. I'd likely have to pay for a more inclusive subscription to upload videos in 4K because of the size of the files, though.

I wish NetWurker was here. He is a video camera/editing guru.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:20 pm 
bikini loving kitty!

That’s easily 3x the cost of my Sony. I found taking video much more time consuming than pictures. It takes a crap ton of work to do something like net used to produce. Interrupts the ride and free time too much

That said it is nice to look back at live action of some of my rides from years ago

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:45 pm 
flirting kitty

MiniTrail wrote:
That’s easily 3x the cost of my Sony. I found taking video much more time consuming than pictures. It takes a crap ton of work to do something like net used to produce. Interrupts the ride and free time too much

That said it is nice to look back at live action of some of my rides from years ago

To use it out on the trail is as simple as "on", then "start" and "stop". Where you take it from there when it's uploaded depends on your interests. I agree with you MT, I hate video editing and that's why my clips are bare bones and all natural. Net Wurker has a talent for editing so to him, it's likely entertaining to do it. I have great respect for those who edit. It's their efforts that make watching video's, TV shows, and movies a joy to experience.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:32 am 
big hucker

Hawgzilla wrote:
MiniTrail wrote:

To use it out on the trail is as simple as "on", then "start" and "stop". Where you take it from there when it's uploaded depends on your interests. I agree with you MT, I hate video editing and that's why my clips are bare bones and all natural. Net Wurker has a talent for editing so to him, it's likely entertaining to do it. I have great respect for those who edit. It's their efforts that make watching video's, TV shows, and movies a joy to experience.

Great vids.

I agree, I’m bare bones as well with my videos. My GoPro Silver is pretty clear, not nearly as clear as your Black and the stabilization is far less. Still very simple to start / stop. Then download and post. Doesn’t take that much effort if you’re not editing.

Speaking of GoPros I got out today and a mile into filming my camera stopped. I charged it last night but I guess 5 or 6 years of use the battery is toast. And when I got home my spare battery is missing. Pretty cheap batteries though at $8.

The day started out cold at 38° but warmed up to 55°. I didn’t care how cold it was the dirt was exceptional, an overcast day and misty this morning put just the right amount of moisture in the dirt. This trail systems dirt is as perfect of dirt as one could ask for with those conditions. I put in 8 amazing miles and only saw a handful of hikers and a couple of other bikes.

Attachments:
55A6BCE8-4C9B-40CA-8705-8E400C2A1FCD.jpeg
55A6BCE8-4C9B-40CA-8705-8E400C2A1FCD.jpeg [ 340.68 KiB | Viewed 1243 times ]
B7C6A824-4FB8-46F4-B506-0C0C18D18AC4.jpeg
B7C6A824-4FB8-46F4-B506-0C0C18D18AC4.jpeg [ 594.84 KiB | Viewed 1243 times ]
B93863B1-A1DC-4622-8996-91B73292AC7F.jpeg
B93863B1-A1DC-4622-8996-91B73292AC7F.jpeg [ 570.58 KiB | Viewed 1243 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:57 am 
flirting kitty

Nice to hear that you got out there DJ.

My riding buds are planning yet another desert ride this weekend. This time we would do the PCE from the top and take the Art Smith trail out. That would be new dirt for me yet again!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:01 am 
big hucker

Hey......I know those trails........ ;) .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:16 am 
big hucker

norton55 wrote:

Yes you do. :) And Hawg, you need to get out more. This sitting on the couch weekend after weekend you’re going to get fat. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:35 am 
lil' hucker

Hawgzilla wrote:
MiniTrail wrote:

They might be bare-bones, H., but I think that' a style unto itself. I like it. It connects me with the effort and the experience you had doing that ride.
Nothin' like hearing the back wheel scratchin' for traction on a climb...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:52 am 
flirting kitty

DIRTJUNKIE wrote:
norton55 wrote:

Yes you do. :) And Hawg, you need to get out more. This sitting on the couch weekend after weekend you’re going to get fat. :lol:

The funny thing is, I am getting fatter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:56 am 
big hucker

Ray Dolor wrote:
Hawgzilla wrote:
MiniTrail wrote:

They might be bare-bones, H., but I think that' a style unto itself. I like it. It connects me with the effort and the experience you had doing that ride.
Nothin' like hearing the back wheel scratchin' for traction on a climb...

Yep, I’ve preached bare bones videos forever. In my opinion it puts you there more-so than an edited version. Love a good edit but also like it bare bones for virtual reality.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:51 pm 
bikini loving kitty!

Always good to see DJ out riding!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:49 am 
big hucker

MiniTrail wrote:
Always good to see DJ out riding!

Why thank you Sir. I feel this new Social Distancing society we now live in you may be seeing more ride reports than normal from me. One thing to smile about on my end.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:09 am 
big hucker

Awesome, can't wait. Since the other place is so infected with the virus assholeitise. 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:57 am 
bikini loving kitty!

Been riding nearly daily for weeks now but all cruiser. The MTB side is dying. Hope it bounces back in better weather. Warmer weather

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:42 pm 
flirting kitty

MiniTrail wrote:
Been riding nearly daily for weeks now but all cruiser. The MTB side is dying. Hope it bounces back in better weather. Warmer weather

Lucky dog!

I've been riding less now for a few weeks due to persistent rain. So much for a drought here in Cali. I had the opportunity to ride yesterday after work but I was spent. And more rain is scheduled for later today. I've only been riding about once a week lately so my beer belly is growing nicely and I don't really even drink beer! :cry:

Trying to rally the boyz for another PCE ride on Saturday.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:11 pm 
big hucker

Hawg, you Lo Cal guys are getting all our rain............ :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:35 pm 
flirting kitty

norton55 wrote:
Hawg, you Lo Cal guys are getting all our rain............ :cry:

You are more than welcome to come down here and guide it back up to the North. We've had enough of it, already.

EDIT: Looks like N55 dropped by last night and took the rain away for the weekend. Thanks Norton!

Last edited by Hawgzilla on Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:48 am 
big hucker

We went from sunny 65° on Wednesday to thunder cracking downpour with a mix of hail at 10:30pm last night. Woke up to wet conditions but it was sunny again. About 1pm it started snowing sideways hard and hasn’t let up. Back to sunny 65° on Saturday predicted. Crazy Colorado.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:26 am 
bikini loving kitty!

65 here today and 25 tomorrow
ILNY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:33 pm 
flirting kitty

So Cal short term forecast:

Friday: work early/ride later
Saturday: PCE/Art Smith
Sunday: no work/ride somewhere

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:27 pm 
big hucker

Stopped by, but you must have been out riding, so I grabbed the rain and left......... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:59 pm 
flirting kitty

norton55 wrote:
Stopped by, but you must have been out riding, so I grabbed the rain and left......... :lol:

Thanks again! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:13 pm 
flirting kitty

PCE AGAIN!!! Yep, the place is addicting. We had 5 in our social distance group originally planned, but 2 of them dropped out so it was up to us Three Musketeers to tame the land. And that, we did! Another perfect day in the desert mountains. Comfy temps, a light breeze to keep up cooled down on the extended climbs, and partly cloudy to shade the sun frequently. Spring is about to take it's grip there. Wildflowers are starting pop and Painted Lady butterfly migration is on. Wave after wave of them passed by all day long. And, lizards galore!!! Of the three ways down from oasis (abandoned tractor) that I have now done, the one we did yesterday (Art Smith trail) is my favorite. The guys I rode with yesterday, and each time I've ridden the area, are highly skilled. It's fun to watch them clean virtually all of the super gnar and it has made me a better tech rider. Art Smith trail is rated as Black (Black Diamond) but it certainly has several sizable sections that are Red (Double Black Diamond). It's the longest and hardest way down off the mountain but it was so damned good that I didn't want it to end. Quite possibly my fav all time So Cal trail. 26 miles, 2600' gain (hard earned). Lots of college hotties out lately (Spring Break) here and there yesterday.

Relive:
https://www.relive.cc/view/vMv85KgV3NO

VIDEOS:
https://vimeo.com/399554143
https://vimeo.com/399556306

Attachments:
IMG_2554.JPG
IMG_2554.JPG [ 134.76 KiB | Viewed 621 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:51 pm 
big hucker

Awesome............. 8-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8952 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 294, 295, 296, 297, 298, 299  Next